Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swap plug socket from no switch to switch

Options
  • 09-01-2018 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭

I'm replacing the plug socket face and light switch face to match new decorating in a spare room. I've ordered a matt black switched plug socket but just realised the socket that is currently there doesn't have switch, it's the type you just plug something in and power is always on.

Will I be able to use the new switched plate? Is it just wired a little differently, or is it more technical than that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommo22

It will be fine. Just make sure u connect the brown to L and blue to N, and the earth of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

the fact you call it a “plug socket” shows your level of competency regarding electrical work. Please call an electrician for your own safety

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Luckysasha wrote: »
    the fact you call it a “plug socket” shows your level of competency regarding electrical work. Please call an electrician for your own safety

OP here (Used my husbands account last night by mistake).

You better have a word with British General too, they clearly don't know what they're doing.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/british-general-13a-2-gang-dp-switched-plug-socket-antique-brass.html

Thanks tommo22, just wanted to check before the product was shipped out to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

OP here (Used my husbands account last night by mistake).

You better have a word with British General too, they clearly don't know what they're doing.

https://www.ie.screwfix.com/british-general-13a-2-gang-dp-switched-plug-socket-antique-brass.html

Thanks tommo22, just wanted to check before the product was shipped out to us.

It's Screwfix (or whoever does their webpages)

BG call them Socket Outlets..

https://www.bgelectrical.uk/wiring-devices/decorative/socket-outlets#nexus-metal

Whilst not a difficult job, it does require a level of competence.

Make sure the power is off.

Different manufacturers reverse the lay out of the terminals at the back so make sure the polarity is correct (also don't assume the original one was wired correctly)
    Make sure the cables aren't damaged (heat damaged, insulation damaged etc.)
    The wires may sometimes be damaged by the securing clamps on the old socket so you may need to strip back the cable a little also.

When you make the connections they must be tight, with all strands in the connection. Also the correct amount of insulation removed, too little and the clamp is on the insulation, too much and the conductor is exposed.
    If there are a few cables in each terminal it is more difficult to do it correctly.

When refitting the socket make sure the cables don't get pinched anywhere (a common problem is driving one of the securing screws through one of the cables)

Earthing isn't optional, the earth connections must be properly made too.

(But to clarify there is no difference from an installation point of view between switched and unswitched sockets)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

Thanks for those instructions. We've done other switched sockets in the house and changed most of the light switches too. This is just the first one that wasn't already a switched socket so I was a little unsure.

Oh and in this house, I definitely don't assume anything was done correctly the first time, we've discovered that almost everything was done wrong! Plus they've managed to have different style fittings for virtually everything. It's a nightmare trying to find things that match style wise, but come in the right range of sizes that we need.

• Advertisement

I was merely pointing out that your lack of basic terminology reflects your level of competency. Just because you saw a shiny picture in a catalogue hardly qualifies you to work on potentially lethal electrical circuits. I can look at gearboxes in catalogues but doesn’t mean I could fit one in my car. Stick to what you know and for anything else call in the professionals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

OP I hope you have an earth wire at your light switch if you are fitting a metal switch.

OP I hope you have an earth wire at your light switch if you are fitting a metal switch.

Sure why would you worry about a little thing like an earth wire as long as your “plug socket face and light switch face” matches your new wallpaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Luckysasha wrote: »
    Sure why would you worry about a little thing like an earth wire as long as your “plug socket face and light switch face” matches your new wallpaper.

Yes, much better to keep it a secret.

Advertisement