Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thumb turn lock - composite door, help!

• 09-01-2018 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I am hoping someone here can help.
    I’ve recently bought a composite door … and to be fair it looks great!
    The door I choose had a ‘finger pull’ instead of an actual door handle. I felt it was slightly tidier than having an actual door handle.
    However, I didn’t consider how difficult it would be to use on the inside.

To be honest, I’m so upset how this has turned out.
    Essentially, on the inside of the door we have the thing called the “Lock Thumb Turn” which is sometimes near impossible to turn.

I’m hoping someone here has had a similar issue and found a solution.
    I was hoping to find a handle that could fit on and off the thumb turn lock, but I can’t find anything online.

Any help/advice apricated
    Attached is a picture of the thumb turn lock...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have you considered asking the installers to change it. You will not be happy with it as is. They can probably change the hardware for a fee.

That should be your first stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

If the thumb turn is near impossible to turn, the door or lock needs adjusting. I’d get the company back to sort it.

What about fitting this type of handle on inside of door.

http://www.morehandles.co.uk/bow-handle-aa36-carlisle-brass.html

You can get this in chrome or different styles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Cerco

mad m wrote: »
    If the thumb turn is near impossible to turn, the door or lock needs adjusting. I’d get the company back to sort it.

This iinstaller should not have left it in this state and should be called back as suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭RegisteredMice

Thanks a million for your replies.
    I have contacted the company who installed the door and to be fair they’ve been very helpful.
    The problem really is the thumb turn lock, shown in the image above, is too difficult for me to twist. The man who installed the door had no issues with it.
    To get the lock changed would cost €500, so that is a non-runner.

I was hoping someone might know of an attachment handle, that would click into the thumb turn lock.
    Therefore, removing the issue with the actual thumb lock.
    Don’t think this exists though ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Is it easier to operate when the door is open?

It may be just too tight against the frame latch when the door is closed?

"IF" this is the issue a fine metal file will remove 0.2 to 0.5 mm and it should be nice and easy

If the lock is stiff itself, get a syringe and fill with oil and lube it up.5 mins of turning back and forth should free it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

is this lock activating the main 7 point locking mechanism or just stopping it from opening.

how old is the door and when installed

I have a 2nd hand pvc door on a shed that is locked with a key. the key moves the mechanism not the handle. it is hard enough to turn at times. I keep it well oiled up which helps. I find tht if I push the door as I turn it is a lot easier as the rubbers arnt pushing the mechanism against the frame

The door is brand new… installed 8 weeks ago.
    With my difficulties opening it, I contacted the guys who installed it. They sprayed silicone into the locks, which did make opening the door easier.
    However, it still isn’t easy to open, not compared to a conversional door handle.
    It puts pressure on your thumb and index finger.

Hindsight is 20/20, but I should have checked this before purchasing the door in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Cerco

IMHO, If the lock is properly installed then you should have no difficulty opening it.
    For safety reasons, a child should be able to open it too.
    The door may be sagging causing the bolt(s) to snag against the receiver(s). I have seen this with a PVC patio door.
    As suggested above check with the door open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

how does the handle on the outside work . does it operate the mechanism or just the latch that holds the door closed but doesn't lock the door

in lock the door and hold down the handle . this should allow the door to swing free until it hits the frame. listen and feel if the door is rubbing . if it is the door needs adjusting and is showing that the mechanism might need adjusting.

was it always like this.

the installer can adjust how far the mechanism pulls the door against the frame . loosening this will make turning the knob easier but will lower the airtightness of the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

As others have said, the lock should not be like this.

I’ve a new composite door with thumb lock like yours and it is effortless to lock it. My 2 year old son can unlock/lock the door!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭cletus

Does anybody else in the house have difficulty opening the lock? Is it equally difficult to operate when the door is open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

When we bought our composite door, we were going to go for the same as you, no handle just a bar as it looked better

The company we talked to said we'd have issues with the seal and lock for the 7 point system which I guess you're having, it's a fairly meaty door/lock to be opening with just a thumb lock.

500 euro is steep, maybe talk to the salesman you bought it from and he might be able to do something for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

When we bought our composite door, we were going to go for the same as you, no handle just a bar as it looked better

The company we talked to said we'd have issues with the seal and lock for the 7 point system which I guess you're having, it's a fairly meaty door/lock to be opening with just a thumb lock.

500 euro is steep, maybe talk to the salesman you bought it from and he might be able to do something for you.

Thanks for all the replies. Just to give you an idea what I am talking about, please see attached photos of the lock, inside and outside.
    (Not great photos, apologies!!)

No chance in the world a two year old would be able to open it, let a lone reach it!

I'll go back to the guys that installed it and maybe they have another solution.

You are meant to push against that door from inside as you turn it to open. Thats the way it's designed to achieve air tightness. It will free up over time but at d start that is what you should be doing if it's hard to open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

That door sounds like it needs to be squared up properly. Our composite door was installed more than a year ago and it was getting more difficult to open. Got them back to re align free of charge. No issues since.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭celiam

I am hoping someone here can help.
    I’ve recently bought a composite door … and to be fair it looks great!
    The door I choose had a ‘finger pull’ instead of an actual door handle. I felt it was slightly tidier than having an actual door handle.
    However, I didn’t consider how difficult it would be to use on the inside.

To be honest, I’m so upsetting how this has turned out.
    Essentially, on the inside of the door we have the thing called the “Lock Thumb Turn” which is sometimes near impossible to turn.

I’m hoping someone here has had a similar issue and found a solution.
    I was hoping to find a handle that could fit on and off the thumb turn lock, but I can’t find anything online.

Any help/advice apricated
    Attached is a picture of the thumb turn lock...

This is a problem with the installation of the door explain problem to installer and they should come back to fix it

To be fair, the door is perfect, its just opening the thumb lock I find difficult.
    I just hoped someone else had the same problem and sourced some sort of mechanism that would attach on to the thumb lock, making it seem like a conventional door handle. Something that could slip on and off.

Don't think one exists, was just hoping!

Thanks again for everyone for their replies. Very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 hhenno

Old thread - and I am not allowed post links...but if this is still an issue - do a google search for "Easy Turn Extended Thumbturn Cylinder" which you can get for about €30. You should easily be able to swap out your existing Euro style lock cylinder - ( you just need to measure it - typically they are 35/35 ) - with a new Extended type one. (This is what a locksmith would have to do in order to replace your lock in the event you lost your keys). Not sure why you were being quoted €500 for a new lock !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Surely if the thumb lock is difficult to engage/open, the same is to be said for the key on the outside ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It’s probably freed itself up in the last 2 years..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,092 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

colm_mcm wrote: »
    It’s probably freed itself up in the last 2 years..
    just slapped myself....hard.

Advertisement