Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More for Moore Hall

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

I really hope we are not still waiting for something to happen in 10 years, as per the usual situation when the council gets involved. Military barracks and Dalys hotel in Castlebar spring to mind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

I really hope we are not still waiting for something to happen in 10 years, as per the usual situation when the council gets involved. Military barracks and Dalys hotel in Castlebar spring to mind
    They are dragging on.

I heard a very good stone mason is re-pointing the stone in the barracks buildings, apparently a very slow and time consuming job and they were ready to fall.

I'm glad they are safe guarding these county treasures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

The Moore Hall won't see super changes. Expect some minor changes for the €266,000 they have to spend on the project.
    https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase.asp?PID=122540&HL=0&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/PublicTenders

Expect small things like a few signs, maybe benches, playground and improving some paths.

The Millitary Barracks are only stabilising the building to make it safe. They got input to help develop a masterplan which resulted in fancy images of what it could be like and they had an exhibition with the results but they don't have funding for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

On Daly's given its historical significance and locaton, for the building to be let fall into the dilpadated state that it has, is a disgrace.

Good to hear some work is being carried out on the barracks.

While the news on Moore Hall is welcome, you'd have to agree with an article in the Western People this week that it seems to be a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

With news of a funding short fall on the 2nd phase of GMIT sports centre, you wonder what are the council's priorities, given that the overall expenditure in the county is in the red and they've recently announced that there will be an increase in commercial rates to make up the shortfall.

Now I'm sure it's all not as easy as it sounds but when you hear about capital project's being shafted that have potential to bring alot of development/growth to the town, while business's are still struggling and closing is very disappointing to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,293 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Very frustrating to see such buildings lying idle. I know that Dalys is a protected building, so it mightn't suit certain redevelopments, and cause it to go untouched for longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Lissavane

voz es wrote: »
    I can not wait to see the plans for this, fantastic news! I hope they give the house back its view of the lake. A massive fair play to all involved, and glad the bats have been accommodated, i was quite ignorant to the issue previously.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/moorehall-to-become-a-major-tourist-attraction-1.3346430

Agreed. It used to be worth the walk up to Moore Hall for the magnificent view alone. I'm all for forestry, particularly broadleaves but it was an act of vandalism to plant that particular area.

Even the restoration of just the walled garden would be great to see.

I've some qualms about Mayo Co Co's competence to undertake a project like this. Pity the State isn't involved in the form of the NPWS / OPW. This is an example of an affordable cultural undertaking one might have expected a Mayo Taoiseach to take an interest in but alas, not.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Lissavane wrote: »
    I've some qualms about Mayo Co Co's competence to undertake a project like this. Pity the State isn't involved in the form of the NPWS / OPW.

NPWS is involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Reading between the lines it looks like they are setting up a trust to manage the estate. Presumably the trustees will be the Council, Coillte and the NPWS.

Reading the press articles, it gives the impression that it is a complete overhaul and that the end product will be all bells and whistles.

Nothing could be further from this impression. Agree with previous poster, it will be some minor improvements to the park itself but wholesale revamp of house etc it is not.

Funding is the issue and I can't see it forthcoming.

This is a stop gap measure and will hold off further criticism for a while.

Perhaps if Inda was still around he could conjure up some cash somewhere. Dont think current gang have the weight to do so.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭godskitchen

finisklin wrote: »

Perhaps if Inda was still around he could conjure up some cash somewhere. Dont think current gang have the weight to do so.....

Now that's funny!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭muddle84

Thou wrote: »
    On Daly's given its historical significance and locaton, for the building to be let fall into the dilpadated state that it has, is a disgrace.

Good to hear some work is being carried out on the barracks.

While the news on Moore Hall is welcome, you'd have to agree with an article in the Western People this week that it seems to be a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

With news of a funding short fall on the 2nd phase of GMIT sports centre, you wonder what are the council's priorities,  given that the overall expenditure in the county is in the red and they've recently announced that there will be an increase in commercial rates to make up the shortfall.

Now I'm sure it's all not as easy as it sounds but when you hear about capital project's being shafted that have potential to bring alot of development/growth to the town, while business's are still struggling and closing is very disappointing to say the least.
    Please excuse my ingorance, but what is the historical significance of Daly's hotel in Castlebar?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

muddle84 wrote: »
    Please excuse my ingorance, but what is the historical significance of Daly's hotel in Castlebar?

James Daly, with Michael Davitt founded The Land League here in 1879, owned it in the late 19th century.

http://tourismpurewalking.com/dalys-hotel-castlebar-must-be-saved/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭muddle84

voz es wrote: »
    muddle84 wrote: »

James Daly,  with Michael Davitt founded The Land League here in 1879, owned it in the late 19th century.

http://tourismpurewalking.com/dalys-hotel-castlebar-must-be-saved/
    Ah it all makes sense now!! Thanks for that!

Advertisement