Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another Air Strike in Syria. 10 children among those killed

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anyone watch part one of the new BBC Two series about Saudi Arabia, they and Iran will probably be fighting proxy wars until one of them gets nuked i.e. never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭DontThankMe

Is it sad/despicable that I don't really care anymore? Thousands of children have died in Syria and many more are suffering on a daily basis but to spend any time or energy worrying or thinking about it, is a waste of time imo and a burden that none of us should have to bear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is it sad/despicable that I don't really care anymore? Thousands of children have died in Syria and many more are suffering on a daily basis but to spend any time or energy worrying or thinking about it, is a waste of time imo and a burden that none of us should have to bear.

No, it's not Ireland's war, no Irish are involved bar the odd volunteer medic I expect. No point in wasting emotional energy on a fruitless cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Feels Good Man

It's sad but Syria is turning a corner. The rebels will soon be defeated and when they are the country can rebuild.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No its not any of Irelands war and yes you can't grieve for every single thing.

but I'm just highlighting that a beautiful country just goes from despair to despair and helpless people like Children being murdered.

it's not right on any level. it's disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

It's not Ireland's war but we do have troops posted overseas in the Golan Heights and Damascus.

Also, this area has been targeted with up to 80 airstrikes a day for a long long time.

It's sad but Syria is turning a corner. The rebels will soon be defeated and when they are the country can rebuild.

I wouldnt count on it.

The focus has shifted from rebels to ISIS and now back to the rebels. You also need to factor in the Kurds, who hold a substantial amount of ground and Turkeys intentions in northern Syria.

The idea that the conflict is winding down is because ISIS have weakened and Putin has announced a withdrawl of some of his troops. That is only for political means though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

"Rebels" eh...these the same rebels that Robert Fisk said are mostly Al Qaeda and ISIS affiliated?

Frankly Russia can bomb them to hell.

NB: I'm not referring to any childrens deaths here lest someone suggest that.

"Rebels" eh...these the same rebels that Robert Fisk said are mostly Al Qaeda and ISIS affiliated?

Frankly Russia can bomb them to hell.

NB: I'm not referring to any childrens deaths here lest someone suggest that.

Not all rebel groups have AQ/ISIS affiliations, some have US backing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2018/0109/932147-syria-ghouta/

Either the Government or Russia.

what a sick world we live in. So sad to see this country basically destroyed.

and again Children suffer.

Anybody might think there's a war going on. Men, women and children die in all wars, they died in Hitler's bunker too, or do you imagine wars only kill combatants?

Thanks for the public service announcement Helen Lovejoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I wonder how syria can ever recover from this war. Surely this must be the most devastation a country has suffered since perhaps germany during ww2

wakka12 wrote: »
    I wonder how syria can ever recover from this war. Surely this must be the most devastation a country has suffered since perhaps germany during ww2

The rebuilding has started in some areas. The north and east are stable...ish now.

Once the Russians start rebuilding the infrastructure and utilities, it may be 5-10 years but it will go back to a semi functioning country.

Depends really how the various peace talks get on.

Historically speaking, no, not even close, there have been wars that erased entire cultures, nations and empires. It's a petty civil war that won't even be remembered in a 100yrs, it's hardly history shaping, merely newsworthy.

conorhal wrote: »
    Historically speaking, no, not even close, there have been wars that erased entire cultures, nations and empires. It's a petty civil war that won't even be remembered in a 100yrs, it's hardly history shaping, merely newsworthy.

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Feels Good Man

Have you not seen the death counts in WWI? A number of countries had an entire of generation of men killed or maimed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No real point saying anything all you will get ah sure didn't america do this and do that's ,
    So we're fine with putin bombing civilians to kingdom come ,
    Let Israel deal with assad and the Iranians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭ArchXStanton

Gatling wrote: »
    No real point saying anything all you will get ah sure didn't america do this and do that's ,
    So we're fine with putin bombing civilians to kingdom come ,
    Let Israel deal with assad and the Iranians

America needs to get the fcuk out of there aswell and let them sort out their own sh!t

Really?

Yeah, really. How else would you describe the Syrian conflict in a hundred years? How is it any different to all the other civil wars that are less news worthy going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

So are we against strikes in Syria?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Anybody might think there's a war going on. Men, women and children die in all wars, they died in Hitler's bunker too, or do you imagine wars only kill combatants?

Thanks for the public service announcement Helen Lovejoy.

Again im not looking be anything but Human, like us all. My whole point is that Children do die in wars.

If the below does not make heart little weaker im not sure what will.

Im not trying to be some sort of nice person, Im just trying highlight a country torn by something that could happen anywhere, even here someday, again.

https://news.sky.com/video/child-pulled-from-syrian-rubble-11201434

• Advertisement

Im not saying there were never worse wars, but would it not be the worst war since ww2?

Have you not seen the death counts in WWI? A number of countries had an entire of generation of men killed or maimed.

'since ww2'
    I know ww1 and 2 were worse than the syrian war obviously

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Again im not looking be anything but Human, like us all. My whole point is that Children do die in wars.

If the below does not make heart little weaker im not sure what will.

Im not trying to be some sort of nice person, Im just trying highlight a country torn by something that could happen anywhere, even here someday, again.

https://news.sky.com/video/child-pulled-from-syrian-rubble-11201434

So are you against the airstrikes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Unfortunately it probably isn't. Vietnam and its surrounding countries had a significantly higher death toll and in some parts of the country entire villages were rounded up and forced into compounds. The death toll in the Congo has stretched into the millions and the place is essentially a giant hole in the map filled with competing factions, tribes and militias. Even North Korea was practically pounded into dust during the war there in the 1950s.

Syria is an awful conflict, but we've had many awful conflicts since WW2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Let's start inviting all the refugees over here and we'll all live happy ever after

Let's start inviting all the refugees over here and we'll all live happy ever after

No but if the UN security council is allowed to do its job they might actually be able to stop some of the atrocities happening all to regularly in Syria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Gatling wrote: »
    No but if the UN security council is allowed to do its job they might actually be able to stop some of the atrocities happening all to regularly in Syria

Bad **** happens all around the world, we're only talking about Syria because it's pushed in our faces

More airstrikes reported over the last few days and the use of chlorine munitions been dropped into civilian populations

Advertisement