Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melted cable

Options
  • 10-01-2018 12:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,869 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Most likely a non original charger, does the charger have a CE mark on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

I don't have the original box but it's a belkin brand I got in Dixon's so I'd expect it to be up to scratch.

Obviously will need to replace the cable but does the plug also need replacing, don't wanna use if it will cause further damage.

For your own peace of mind you should probably throw the whole lot in the bin and get a good quality new charger.

From this article it seems Belkin would be at the lower end of the quality scale for chargers :

http://www.righto.com/2012/10/a-dozen-usb-chargers-in-lab-apple-is.html?m=1

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Obviously this should not have happened. I would be sending this unit back to the manufacturer and demanding an explanation.

Heat generated is a function of the current, obviously only a very small current should have been flowing as no load (phone) was connected at the time of the incident. This small current shoild have generated very little heat. My guess is that there was a shot on the lead pehaps due to moisture and / or some other material close to the melted part. This would cause a far higher current to flow generating excess heat. A small increase in current will result in a dramatic temperature increase as the temperature is directly proportional to the square of the current.

Regardless this unit should of not be used again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Can you post a picture?

It sounds like an internal short in the cable.

Repeated flexing where the cable and solid end connector meet can damage the cable and cause a short between wires.

It can be due to pulling on the cable instead of holding the solid end connector when disconnecting it.

I wouldn't use that cable again as it's a fire hazard. Bin the cable and replace it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Repeated flexing where the cable and solid end connector meet can damage the cable and cause a short between wires.

Yes, most likely you are correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

I would never leave unattended phone chargers "plugged in", for long periods, whether charging a device or not.
    I know it is convenient and many do this but it's not worth the risk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Image of the melted cable.

From that picture it would seem that the fault is definitely with the cable and possibly due to moisture getting into the contacts on the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Dublin Fire brigade regularly tweet photos of house fires they've been to that have been caused by phone chargers left plugged in.

Why anyone would still do it I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭biketard

Might be worth sending that photo to Belkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

do you leave the usb under your pillow ive seen a few cases of the charger being condensated but really that looks like a short in the plug, most likely due to the cable flexing to tight insulation breaking and shorting.
    the plastic your seeing is a result of the heat during charging the bin is the only place for it.

In fact I got a gift of a usb speaker at xmas only used once the ****ty 6 inch lead had split at both ends without any stress just cheap materials.

as another poster said dfb post images of this all the time a neighbour of my mamas house went up a few years ago the daughter got burned very badly in her bed while asleep.

Advertisement