Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skiing in Kazahkstan

• 10-01-2018 3:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭

Hey all,
    I'm currently living in China and planning to head to Kazakhstan for Chinese New Year. I've heard from friends of friends that it's amazing but I can't seem to get any practical advice.
    Has anyone been? Apparently Shymbulak (the resort area) is only 20km from Almaty city. Would I be better off staying at the resort or in the city? Does anyone know what the English level is like? I'll be going with my gf who has never skied before so she will definitely need lessons. Is it do-able? 
    Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭kfog

Shymbulak is only a 30 minute taxi from Almaty, which will cost about 10 euro each way by taxi, but there are regular busses which will be far cheaper. Hotels and dining will also be far cheaper in the City, resorts tend to be very expensive especially in restaurants.
    English is not widely spoken but generally at the resorts there will be some English speakers employed but it is not guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Cheers for the reply, we have it booked now. Head there next week, very excited. We decided to stay in Almaty, I think our hotel is right beside a bus stop which will take us to Shymbulak.
    What about lessons and gear rental? We have a full day downtown before we plan to hit the slopes, would you recommend finding an instructor and renting gear in Almaty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 96 ✭✭kfog

You should probably contact the resort to book an instructor in advance and ask about rental, although it shouldn't be expensive, budget about 20 euro a day for rental. I haven't skied there but like everything here it is best booked in advance. It's quite busy there the past month. We were refused entry to Medeo a few weeks ago because of overcrowding there. It should be a bit quieter there now but you are best to arrive early just to be sure.

Advertisement