Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

apparently on first dates also last night.

Off topic, but I presume that was a repeat? Did he meet his husband on a tv show?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Addle wrote: »
    Off topic, but I presume that was a repeat? Did he meet his husband on a tv show?

They were just background people. Weren't meant to be talked to but Hughie talked to them.

New episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

First Up wrote: »
    But he was given no guidance on how to do that. He has got hooked on running and fitness which is great but the "experts" don't seem to have suggested any ways to use his energy and enthusiasm to build muscle mass (which he needs) instead of losing weight (which he doesn't)

The guy needs to get advice from real experts. Karl Henry is a one dimensional chancer.

It's true, he needs a program beyond 8 weeks. However I'm pretty sure Andrew did a fair bit more running in the background than the 6 min he admitted to.

Also Aoife's claim of the 2ib muscle loss isn't plucked out of the air. What we see on the show is the tip of the iceberg. Calipers are out and various body mass analysis behind the scenes.

Would agree on Andrew throwing the toys out of the pram. They told him to maintain weight then he goes and loses 4 pounds and is wondering why everyone isn't patting him on the back.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's using weight loss pills or similar as his loss has been excessive. Seems desparate for attention, apparently on first dates also last night.

I found the bit of tough love he got last night was no harm. The experts were looking at a mental attitude of 'i want to run every day, I want to really push it' and between all four saw warning signs.

That talk wasn't just about one week's weight loss or tailored plans etc. Between the 4 experts they all saw this guy and saw burnout and obsession.

Yes the plans could be varied and should be after the show. But sticking to uniform plans is about instilling discipline into people who haven't eaten well, or know what proper exercise is for a long time. They need to provide support for specific plans post 8 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Susuana's son is studying sports management and is a fitness instructor we were told at the start of the show. I'm sure he's tried to incorporate some additional training into her regime (at least I hope so) over the past seven weeks or so and indeed before she started the show itself. There's nothing to stop her doing some dancing on her own listening to her favourite music, that way it makes exercise fun for her and she can add it to her existing fitness plan. The thing is she just doesn't want to go the extra mile so to speak. If any of us were on TV being a leader for themselves and their age and weight category we'd be raring to go every week, at least I would. Coupled with the fact she has a neighbour who goes out exercising with her and a son who studies sports management and is a fitness instructor. Nobody else seems to have them sort of weapons at their disposal, not to mention a town rooting her on, all this during a global pandemic too.

We also don't know if she's working or not as they don't mention that at all, if she isn't then she's more time to dedicate hersef to the show and her goals. Hazel and Sharon are both having to divide their time between work and everything they have to do and they're both doing great, Paul works aswell and is juggling the same things and he's seeing some good results, imagine if his drive and attitude was better he'd have lost more weight. Susuana is just plain lazy and unmotivated let's be honest. She needs to have drive first and foremost as motivation can come and go and sadly she doesn't seem to have any.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Final Boss

OT wishlist for next year:

1. Personalised plans.
    2. Stronger variation in contestants to make use of personalised plans.
    3. Get an S&C coach and make proper plans
    4. Instead of 5k, have S&C challenge for the contestants.
    5. Get rid of Aoife - useless. Get a sports dietician in.
    6.. Get rid of Karl - usless. Love to see him try and do 30 actual push-ups in a row. Doubt he can.
    7. Keep Eddie, Sumi & Kathryn
    8. No more airtime for Andrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Arduach wrote:
    Also Aoife's claim of the 2ib muscle loss isn't plucked out of the air. What we see on the show is the tip of the iceberg. Calipers are out and various body mass analysis behind the scenes.

If building muscle mass is an objective, then give him a programme to achieve it. Telling him not to run isn't a plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭DenMan

Final Boss wrote: »
    OT wishlist for next year:

1. Personalised plans.
    2. Stronger variation in contestants to make use of personalised plans.
    3. Get an S&C coach and make proper plans
    4. Instead of 5k, have S&C challenge for the contestants.
    5. Get rid of Aoife - useless. Get a sports dietician in.
    6.. Get rid of Karl - usless. Love to see him try and do 30 actual push-ups in a row. Doubt he can.
    7. Keep Eddie, Sumi & Kathryn
    8. No more airtime for Andrew.

Excellent first post Final Boss. :D Welcome to Boards.ie

DenMan wrote: »
    Susuana's son is studying sports management and is a fitness instructor we were told at the start of the show. I'm sure he's tried to incorporate some additional training into her regime (at least I hope so) over the past seven weeks or so and indeed before she started the show itself. There's nothing to stop her doing some dancing on her own listening to her favourite music, that way it makes exercise fun for her and she can add it to her existing fitness plan. The thing is she just doesn't want to go the extra mile so to speak. If any of us were on TV being a leader for themselves and their age and weight category we'd be raring to go every week, at least I would. Coupled with the fact she has a neighbour who goes out exercising with her and a son who studies sports management and is a fitness instructor. Nobody else seems to have them sort of weapons at their disposal, not to mention a town rooting her on, all this during a global pandemic too.

We also don't know if she's working or not as they don't mention that at all, if she isn't then she's more time to dedicate hersef to the show and her goals. Hazel and Sharon are both having to divide their time between work and everything they have to do and they're both doing great, Paul works aswell and is juggling the same things and he's seeing some good results, imagine if his drive and attitude was better he'd have lost more weight. Susuana is jut plain lazy and unmotivated let's be honest. She needs to have drive first and foremost as motivation can come and go and sadly she doesn't seem to have any.

100%

Her dancing would have no energy in it either.

And someone mentioned pole dancing.. Suzanna would make some fist of that! She can't even walk. Toddlers have better coordination.

To let yourself go like that.. I have every sympathy for leaders who have faced personal tragedies, like the death of a child, marital breakup etc. Comfort eating and depression often result.

However, Suzanna, who I like personally, is in fluffy la la land.

In the first episode I think her job was given as a community organiser with the Nigerian diaspora, sounds like a relatively cushy number. Plenty of free time. Also, as a poster mentioned, she seems to be on it more for the promo. She hasn't really represented the Nigerians too well or made anyone want to hire a person from Nigeria for work!

There have been a few 26st plus men on the show, but they could walk. I never saw anyone with such poor coordination and lack of stamina at 48, without a serious underlying health problem. She's a young woman and what will she be like in 5 years if she continues down this route.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭Deeec

I think this year has shown that OT has run its course in its current format. I agree with Final Boss posts above that there needs to be a new format for next year ( although I would get rid of Eddie and Katherine too)

- Susanna has wasted a huge opportunity. She didnt seem to take any advice on board. I would be embarrassed going on TV and actually putting on weight instead of losing it

- Andrew I didnt take to him at all during the series but he done well. Im convinced he has a different agenda by appearing on the show though- Wants to use his experience to create money out of social media etc.

- Paul - once the camera goes off will go back to his old ways

- Sharan - I love Sharon and she has done great in fairness. Sadly I dont think she will keep it up though. Sharon and her family have a very laid back fun attitude and once the filming stops I think the diet and exercise will decline. I would love to be proved wrong on this one though.

- Hazel - I love Hazel and I think she will keep it up. She has done amazing and she has a very supportive family who will continue to support her. For me she is the success story of this year.

• Advertisement

If building muscle mass is an objective, then give him a programme to achieve it. Telling him not to run isn't a plan.

Building muscle mass was never an objective but losing it is a problem.

He was told to put an extra rest day into the weekly runs. That's a plan.

The show has always been about losing weight. His plan was to reduce activity a little to hold his weight. He needs a new plan now.
    Some are a little obsessed with S&C. Bar Andrew, for 14 years every other contestant were overweight. That's 83 leaders to 1. Thus the plan was to lose weight.

You can't implement an S&C program with people like Sharon and Hazel until the lose the weight first. It's painful watching them try to do pressups, even still.

Karl might surprise you on the pressups. Anyway it's totally irrelevant how many he can do. From what I see there's enough core work set out for the leaders for where they're at. For example tricep dips, leg lifts, planks, bridging etc.

And I don't know why you'd need a sports nutritionist for leaders. That's another step too advanced. Even within sports the protein regiemes etc are different. A nutritionist for everyday living would be a better fit, whether it be someone different than Aoife is another debate.

Edit: I've a mixture of responses to First Up and Final Boss. Mixed you both up :)

Arduach wrote:
    Building muscle mass was never an objective but losing it is a problem.
    If it's a problem worth mentioning, it is worth addressing.
    Arduach wrote:
    He was told to put an extra rest day into the weekly runs. That's a plan.

It's not a plan to address losing muscle mass.

A balanced programme includes cardio, resistance training, rest and diet.

DenMan wrote: »
    Paul works aswell and is juggling the same things and he's seeing some good results, imagine if his drive and attitude was better he'd have lost more weight.
    I don’t think Paul deserves this negativity.
    Hasn’t he reached his weight loss goals and achieved his waistline target?
    He’s taken up dancing...
    He has a similar complaint to Susuana is that the meal plan doesn’t suit him.

Do the leaders receive any payment for taking part?

Arduach wrote:
    The show has always been about losing weight. His plan was to reduce activity a little to hold his weight. He needs a new plan now. Some are a little obsessed with S&C. Bar Andrew, for 14 years every other contestant were overweight. That's 83 leaders to 1. Thus the plan was to lose weight.

They talk about a lot more than weight.
    BMI, blood pressure, risk of diabetes are all used as measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Arduach wrote: »
    100%

And someone mentioned pole dancing.. Suzanna would make some fist of that! She can't even walk. Toddlers have better coordination.

To let yourself go like that.. I have every sympathy for leaders who have faced personal tragedies, like the death of a child, marital breakup etc. Comfort eating and depression often result.

In the first episode I think her job was given as a community organiser with the Nigerian diaspora, sounds like a relatively cushy number. Plenty of free time. Also, as a poster mentioned, she seems to be on it more for the promo. She hasn't really represented the Nigerians too well or made anyone want to hire a person from Nigeria for work!

If you read my post i never said suzanne should pole dance. I was making the point of how karl is a spoofer that his idea of fitness is pounding the pavements. He doesnt try anything else until a contestant is in pain

Some said replaced Aoife with a sports nuitrionist.... she actually is she or was at least the Tipperary senior hurlers dietician for a number of years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭hawley

Addle wrote: »
    I don’t think Paul deserves this negativity.
    Hasn’t he reached his weight loss goals and achieved his waistline target?
    He’s taken up dancing...
    He has a similar complaint to Susuana is that the meal plan doesn’t suit him.

Do the leaders receive any payment for taking part?

No I don't think they are paid for being on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

did Paul inspire anyone like him to get healthier this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Id keep eddie katherine and Sumi... she seems so compassionate would like to have her as my GP.
    Serious revamp next year and new individual goals for leaders not just 5k

I’d guess that he’s inspired as many as the other leaders have. The guy on the show from longford this week was following his plan I think.
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CLedsQJjiUU/?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I'm not his biggest fan, however he has probably voiced what alot of people are thinking.

Some people like plain food, it's what they grew up on and what they are familiar with.

People don't like change and they'll grumble along while doing something even if they know it's in their own best interest.

I'd say there are a few men who can relate to him, whether they'd openly admit it or not.

So maybe at the end when the overall weight lose is calculated they might be inspired to start their own journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

God love anyone who had planned on doing the OT5k today. I dunno about where the rest of ye are but the rain has hardly let up here in the Midlands all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    God love anyone who had planned on doing the OT5k today. I dunno about where the rest of ye are but the rain has hardly let up here in the Midlands all day.

Wet and cold in Dublin too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

he was about the only person on there who was just eating wrong and fat from it whereas the rest of them have other issues. Just a shame he begrudgingly ate his packed lunches and barely went through the motions

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sunny Dayz wrote: »

And just after I posted that the rain stopped and the sun has come out!!!

If it's a problem worth mentioning, it is worth addressing.

It's not a plan to address losing muscle mass.

A balanced programme includes cardio, resistance training, rest and diet.

It was only mentioned because this was the first time you had a person who had burnt the necessary fat. If Andrew did what he was told the previous week he wouldn't have eaten into his muscle mass. The advice he got last week was to address this. Hence the unanimous stand from Karl, Aoifi, Sumi and Eddie.

To the second part, same answer as the first. Andrew was told to maintain his weight. He did a lot more than he was told exercise wise. His reaction stemmed from that too. When people are wrong and know it they often react as he did.

Edit: Just see your last line now. Cardio..check. Resistance training (as much as they can with core work for an initial 8 weeks, then a plan should change)..check. Rest..check (Andrew didn't adhere). Diet..check.

They provide all the basics. On the resistance the leaders need to work with their body weight and thermabands etc before going near a gym. Andrew is an outlier. He got to where he did 2 weeks before he was supposed to. He was to cut back his exercise to maintain his weight until week 8. Should a change of plan have been ready at week 6, increasing nutrition, letting him run more or do an extra resistance session. Probably between Karl and Aoife. However this is Ireland and as we see with everything from Covid etc, we are very slow to change from what were doing. Easy option for Andrew situation, reign him in on the running. But it doesn't make him right for not taking the advice.

They talk about a lot more than weight.
    BMI, blood pressure, risk of diabetes are all used as measures.

But what helps lower BMI? Lower blood pressure and risk of diabetes?

Losing weight! This is the priority for the other things to improve. Certainly building muscle mass is far down the list.

Arduach wrote: »
    100%

If you read my post i never said suzanne should pole dance. I was making the point of how karl is a spoofer that his idea of fitness is pounding the pavements. He doesnt try anything else until a contestant is in pain

Some said replaced Aoife with a sports nuitrionist.... she actually is she or was at least the Tipperary senior hurlers dietician for a number of years

I don't think he's a spoofer. You couldn't have qualifications in his field and not know all the forms of exercise.

There must be some reason why every year they stick to this same, uniform, plan of running.

I don't know why, and as you say up until someone is injured, pounding the pavement for a 20 stone person puts all sorts of pressure on the joints. Is it because it's easier to measure and compare activity between leaders?

Or probably the big 'showpiece' 5k at the end. I'd agree, adaptations have to be made. I think however, there is no way, if I went to Karl in his private practice he'd recommend what is the uniform exercise on the show. He wouldn't survive in his business. He knows what forms of exercise suit who best, it's probably tv reasons.

Apologies about the poll dancing, I know you meant in general!

Arduach wrote:
    Andrew is an outlier. He got to where he did 2 weeks before he was supposed to. He was to cut back his exercise to maintain his weight until week 8. Should a change of plan have been ready at week 6, increasing nutrition, letting him run more or do an extra resistance session.

All he was told was not lose more weight - nothing about how. Nobody mentioned extra resistance sessions, building muscle mass or anything else to replace running in a more balanced programme.

Telling someone who has discovered a love (and talent) for running to just sit on his arse two days a week isn't advice and is unlikely to work.

I know it's just a TV show but it should be better than that.

All he was told was not lose more weight - nothing about how. Nobody mentioned extra resistance sessions, building muscle mass or anything else to replace running in a more balanced programme.

Telling someone who has discovered a love (and talent) for running to just sit on his arse two days a week isn't advice and is unlikely to work.

I know it's just a TV show but it should be better than that.

You've answered your own question. He was told not to run one extra day. But he did more.

He didn't do what he was told. He'll burn himself out.

He wouldn't be sitting on his arse, he'd be doing a normal day's activity. Even elite athletes often have to taper down training.

He can't just go off and do a Forrest Gump!!

To lose 4ibs he went well off course, not sustainable. Going to the other extreme is as bad as over weight.

• Advertisement

Arduach wrote:
    He wouldn't be sitting on his arse, he'd be doing a normal day's activity. Even elite athletes often have to taper down training.

He was given zero advice or instruction. As I recall he was told to do nothing. Yet he has a measurable reduction in muscle mass. Would it not have been both wiser and a bit smarter to guide him into a programme to build muscle on the days he isn't running?

I know how a training programme works and I don't know any more than anyone else about the guy's mileage or intensity. But the ONLY thing Karl Henry talked about was his running. I thought it very poor analysis and advice to someone who is bursting with energy and motivation.

Advertisement