Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Operation Transformation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Good luck to them all. I really hope they keep up the good habits.

It worked very well despite the restrictions. I think the virtual 5k meant so many more people got to take part all around the country.

I hope they keep that up in the future, maybe in addition to the usual venues.

mloc123 wrote: »
    He seems a little controlling? I'd say the lack of confidence worked with that.. wonder how it'll pan out now.

Ah it's probably tough for him having to be on show as the partner and having his reactions analysed. They seem like a lovely couple.

I really enjoyed it this year, I wasn't mad about Paul, i thought he was trying to be the shownman but overall it was very entertaining.

Susana was the star, not weight-loss wise but she just oozed attitude.

Hope they all continue to thrive.

Sad to hear of the death of Sandra from 2018. RIP Sandra.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

appledrop wrote: »
    Right lads I need your help here.

We all know Andrew hasn't an ounce of fat on him anymore and has been told not to lose more weight or he might disappear!

Yet when I put his stats in NHS, BMI calculator at 170cm and 11st 13lbs he is still coming out as overweight! Wtf?

Can someone else try it there in case I did it wrong because something very wrong with bmi if they think Andrew is over weight!

It isn't an issue with BMI... It is an issue with what we now consider to be normal weight. He has fat left for sure, but he looks "normal weight" as so many people are now overweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Fair play to all of them.

Sharon looked so happy, hopefully they will keep up all the hard work.

I didn't like Paul's skinny jeans, he reminded me of humpty dumpty, with the skinny legs. Straight leg trousers would have been much better....he looked great though.

Hazel looked amazing ,her hair and make up. Wouldn't be a fan of her outfit, but jumpsuits aren't my thing anyway.

Susanna , lose of 13 lbs , 2lb a week ....that's embarrassing. She was given an opportunity and didn't take it. She might regret that at a later date.

Andrew looked fab, rocked the catwalk. Fair play to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

We all know Andrew hasn't an ounce of fat on him anymore and has been told not to lose more weight or he might disappear!

Yet when I put his stats in NHS, BMI calculator at 170cm and 11st 13lbs he is still coming out as overweight! Wtf?

Can someone else try it there in case I did it wrong because something very wrong with bmi if they think Andrew is over weight!

Bizarre..

I am usually fit but have a big build and always come in over weight. I'm 6ft 3in and 15st 9ib. I played rugby pro, and gaa, and I've no tummy etc. Would cycle and do a lot of core work.

I think BMI can be inaccurate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭appledrop

It isn't an issue with BMI... It is an issue with what we now consider to be normal weight. He has fat left for sure, but he looks "normal weight" as so many people are now overweight.

Ah no he is not overweight. Yes he was at start but sure we have seen him stripped to his shorts. Not an ounce of belly or fat! It must be muscle he is carrying.

I've always had an issue with BMI anyway sure all Irish Rugby team obese according to it!

Muscle weighs heavier than fat.

Majority of rubgy players the BMI would have them obese.

It's a good guideline but wouldn't take BMI as absolute, need to look at full picture.

Fair play to all of them.

Sharon looked so happy, hopefully they will keep up all the hard work.

I didn't like Paul's skinny jeans, he reminded me of humpty dumpty, with the skinny legs. Straight leg trousers would have been much better....he looked great though.

Hazel looked amazing ,her hair and make up. Wouldn't be a fan of her outfit, but jumpsuits aren't my thing anyway.

Susanna , lose of 13 lbs , 2lb a week ....that's embarrassing. She was given an opportunity and didn't take it. She might regret that at a later date.

Andrew looked fab, rocked the catwalk. Fair play to him.

I actually think, at the end of the day, 13ib was ok for Suzanna. Like if she lost a stone every 2 months (slim chance, pardon the pun!) by September she'd be down 3 stone more. It's very sustainable if she was motivated.

Ah no he is not overweight. Yes he was at start but sure we have seen him stripped to his shorts. Not an ounce of belly or fat! It must be muscle he is carrying.

I've always had an issue with BMI anyway sure all Irish Rugby team obese according to it!

He still has fat... Almost everyone does. If he had no belly fat he would litteraly have a 6 pack, and he didn't. He is what a lot of personal trainers would describe as skinny fat.

BMI doesn't take into account people with very high muscle mass, but Andrew doesn't fall into that.

They metioned the week they told him not to lose more he has about 20% body fat... 10-12% is perfect BMI range.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Anyone else find it strange that Suzannas son wasn't there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Not during these strange times!

Arduach wrote: »
    I actually think, at the end of the day, 13ib was ok for Suzanna. Like if she lost a stone every 2 months (slim chance, pardon the pun!) by September she'd be down 3 stone more. It's very sustainable if she was motivated.

If she was doing it on her own I'd think it was a brilliant achievement.

With 4 experts guiding her and cameras watching her I would have expected more.

I doubt she will lose any more weight. She didn't seem to get any enjoyment out of exercise... usually once you get out of the house and get moving you can feel some release of endorphins ...she didn't seem to get that. Food is also an issue....if she managed to get control over one of them she'd stand a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭appledrop

If she was doing it on her own I'd think it was a brilliant achievement.

With 4 experts guiding her and cameras watching her I would have expected more.

I doubt she will lose any more weight. She didn't seem to get any enjoyment out of exercise... usually once you get out of the house and get moving you can feel some release of endorphins ...she didn't seem to get that. Food is also an issue....if she managed to get control over one of them she'd stand a chance.

Yea I don't hold out much hope for her. Still think Aoife should have worked more with her on the food to show her portion sizes she needed for her Africian food because that's what she is going to continue eating.

Found it weird there were two randomers on the couch.

He didn't appear to be too impressed at the 5K.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭ax530

Guess he didn't want to be on TV he was quiet always not a big part of it all

• Registered Users Posts: 13,402 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

It's not muscle and he still has~20% body fat.

mloc123 is spot on below in saying that Andrew fits into the 'skinny fat' category
    He still has fat... Almost everyone does. If he had no belly fat he would litteraly have a 6 pack, and he didn't. He is what a lot of personal trainers would describe as skinny fat.

BMI doesn't take into account people with very high muscle mass, but Andrew doesn't fall into that.

They metioned the week they told him not to lose more he has about 20% body fat... 10-12% is perfect BMI range.

As John Hayes used call ROG.. a skinny fat bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

NIMAN wrote: »
    It was always a bit cringe but this year it feels inappropriate.

Coming out and dancing sexily in front of your ma and da.

Why can't they just walk out and get a hug.

What are these hugs, of which you speak?

Only watching this on +1 now.
    Fair play, everyone looked great.
    Sharon and Hazel in particular, seem to be in a better place in their heads.
    And Andrew is more confident and seems on top of the world.
    Hopefully they all keep on top of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

I presume Susanna's weight loss was the worse in the series history?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I presume Susanna's weight loss was the worse in the series history?

She actually did better than I thought, especially given she’d at least one week where she put on weight.
    Basically lost half what the rest of them did.

5k is around 10 laps of the walkway around our local gaa pitch. Susana had to be ‘cajoled’ by Karl to do 2 laps and within a week she multiplied that by 5..... hmmm...
    No way!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

digzy wrote: »
    She actually did better than I thought, especially given she’d at least one week where she put on weight.

5k is around 10 laps of the walkway around our local gaa pitch. Susana had to be ‘cajoled’ by Karl to do 2 laps and within a week she multiplied that by 5..... hmmm...
    No way!!

Did you see her face after? She looked like she did it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Addle wrote: »
    Did you see her face after? She looked like she did it anyways.

Did you see her face after the 1k the previous week?

She’s a charming lady and very likeable, I just question how her exercise output could multiply by 5 in the space of a week or 2.

Personally I walk 10k steps a day. I’d never do 50k!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

On Susuana, all through the series, she had big extensions in her hair. Last night there was no sign of them. Not to take away from her losing 5lbs this week, but I'd wager most of that was from not having those hair extensions in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

On Susuana, all through the series, she had big extensions in her hair. Last night there was no sign of them. Not to take away from her losing 5lbs this week, but I'd wager most of that was from not having those hair extensions in.

I had been thinking some of it was from that.
    The week she put on half a pound was when she had a new set sown in.I think she'd have maintained or lost that week if she hadn't. It must be some strain on your neck.

I'm happy for her.I don't think the diet plan suited her and I imagine she'd have been happier with more rhythmic exercises like Zumba over the walking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some mad comments here about Susana.Just look back at them and see.

She lost 13 pounds in 7-8 weeks
    That is sustainable and the recommended rate for women.

What is it about her that some here make such horrible remarks about a person they do not know? No wonder some overweight people avoid doing anything, if failure to match what some think you should be achieving results in abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

digzy wrote: »

No way!!

She gained weight on three of the weeks

spurious wrote: »

TBF Paul got the same comments? I think it is because both of them didn't really want to be there... surely everyone going in knows what to expect, it is the same format ever year.

spurious wrote: »

She lost 13 pounds in 7-8 weeks
    That is sustainable and the recommended rate for women.

What is it about her that some here make such horrible remarks about a person they do not know? No wonder some overweight people avoid doing anything, if failure to match what some think you should be achieving results in abuse.

Well to be fair the majority thought she was a lovely person.

The show has been running since 2008, everyone knows the format and what's expected of the leaders.

She put in next to zero effort. Why apply to be a contestant if you have no intention of putting in the work.

Yeah maybe the food plan didn't suit her, but then there's clips of her popping some type of deep fried / battered kray fish I think it was (I'm sure someone will correct me) deep-fried/battered anything is not a lose weight ingredient.

Maybe the exercise routine didn't suit her , but there's alot of weight going on her joints , I'm not sure zuma dancing which is quite "hoppy and bouncy" would be the best solution there either.

It feels like the Larry Gogan show "the plan just didn't suit you".....but worked successfully for everyone else.

Even if she only lost one pound but put in a stellar effort I'd be delighted for her...it was her lack of effort from a leader that got me....jesus her neighbour put in more effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Andrews 5k time was unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nj27

Andrew impressed me a lot with that 5k time, not bad at all. I caught the running bug myself a couple of years ago after throwing the bike in the shed following another puncture in Wicklow on a rainy day. Now training for a marathon and he could easily head in that direction too. The difficulty of maintaining health and fitness is cut in half by having an activity you really enjoy and wish to pursue. Onwards and upwards for him I’d say.

Advertisement