Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband between Rathdrum and Laragh

Options
  • 10-01-2018 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm interested in buying a property near Rathdrum but it seems that there's no decent broadband available in the area.

I've checked with eir/Vodafone and they said a fixed line would only provide 4mb. The road is also not on eir's Fibre Rollout plan so it'd have to wait for the national broadband plan which is probably 7 years away.

I checked with Wicklow Broadband, Regional Broadband, and Permanet - none of them provide a service to that particular area.

Finally Vodafone and Three both said they can't guarantee any sort of mobile broadband coverage, you have to sign up for a trial with them to see how it goes.

I'm just wondering if anyone lives on that road, or knows somebody who does, and has broadband. It's literally the only thing that's preventing us bidding on the property.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Sorry I'm of no particular help but I'm in the same boat as you (well, looking at houses all over Wicklow) and I've pretty much struck off any property that cannot get > 100mb. You're going into debt for at least 20ish years. That's a long time to have crap broadband that barely even capable of doing Netflix 1080p let alone 4K which is already out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The road is also not on eir's Fibre Rollout plan so it'd have to wait for the national broadband plan which is probably 7 years away.

7 years? You’d be lucky!

I waited 5 years for a fiber cabinet to be installed at the entrance of my estate. That was 7 years ago. Since the Eir have refused to commit to connecting us to this cabinet within the next 20 years! They offer us 2 Mbps (which in reality is only 0.5) :mad: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I know your pain. My parents live in a rural area too and eir's fibre cabinet was installed at the end of their road about 6 months ago. But eir are stopping the cabling about 300m before their house but still they're still well in range of the fibre connection, less than 1km from the cabinet. They just signed up with Imagine about 2 months ago instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have imagine and I get 90 to 100mb consistently.

Don't use it for WiFi though as have full bars 4G on all networks.

I would check the conventional phone signal first and then examine the likes of imagine

Broadband is vital. But don't origin your life around it there's a world in wicklow outside of staring at Netflix daily.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

listermint wrote: »
    I have imagine and I get 90 to 100mb consistently.

In that case you have fiber. Whether you are with Imagine, Sky or another provider they all use the fiber cable infrastructure provided by Eir. So if Eir don’t have fiber installed you can’t obtain those sort of speeds.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    In that case you have fiber. Whether you are with Imagine, Sky or another provider they all use the fiber cable infrastructure provided by Eir. So if Eir don’t have fiber installed you can’t obtain those sort of speeds.

isn't all imagines infrastructure setup that way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Imagine use towers that have a line of sight connection to an antenna you put on your house. It's basically a 4G connection. They unfortunately don't service the area that the house is in though.
    listermint wrote: »
    Broadband is vital. But don't origin your life around it there's a world in wicklow outside of staring at Netflix daily.

Completely agree but this isn't about Netflix. We both work in IT and to be able to work from home on occassion a good stable internet connection is a necessity.

Imagine use towers that have a line of sight connection to an antenna you put on your house.

You are correct but they don’t do much of this “LTE” service as can be seen from their coverage map.

Mostly they supply broadband that requires fiber cabinets.

2011 wrote: »

I have LTE btw, i understand the difference - I work in the industry. There is not Fibre to my door.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Imagine use towers that have a line of sight connection to an antenna you put on your house. It's basically a 4G connection. They unfortunately don't service the area that the house is in though.

Its 4G, but its not.

My local 4G cell covers about 500 homes. Each Imagine TDD cell covers a 20km ring (10k homes?). When you start dividing a 150Mb sector by 500 users the numbers get very poor....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

We're in the process of buying a new build in Rathdrum and I was wondering about the internet down that way as well. I also work in IT and will be working from home a couple of days a week. Anyone know what the broadband in The Woods development is like?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

We're in the process of buying a new build in Rathdrum and I was wondering about the internet down that way as well. I also work in IT and will be working from home a couple of days a week. Anyone know what the broadband in The Woods development is like?

Should be there's a VDSL (physically near by) https://www.eir.ie/broadband/coverage-map/ best thing is to knock into a neighbor and see if they what they have a must if you are working from home

Advertisement