Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Training pay only if probation is passed?

Options
  • 10-01-2018 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

This is actually from a year or two ago when I was a lot more desperate for work. I took a job at a survey call centre and ended up walking off in the first hour; it was the worst environment I've ever been in, and I've had a lot of jobs.

Anyway, the question is: I did a full 'training day' with them, and I remember the contract said that it would only be paid on completion of the probationary period. Obviously I didn't, but in retrospect that actually seems pretty shady. Wasn't really in a place to stand up for myself at the time.

I'm normally good on employment rights, but I can't find anything that specifically says this is or isn't allowed. The exact wording was 'The training session will be paid on the basis of a successful completion of the probationary period.'

Has anyone any experience with something like this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Its dodgy but legal once its in the contract and you're not earning below the minimum wage including the training time.

They do it because of the obvious high turnover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

Right, but doesn't the minimum wage thing fall down in that case? I did a day of training (8 hours) and wasn't actually paid anything in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Right, but doesn't the minimum wage thing fall down in that case? I did a day of training (8 hours) and wasn't actually paid anything in the end.

Plenty of scumbag employers trying that stunt. If you do the hours you get the pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't know if not getting paid for training is any different to not being paid for a required uniform.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

I think this may fall into 'technically illegal, no real way to followup short of the courts, absolutely not worth hiring a solicitor over', like a lot of minor employment law breaches. :/

• Advertisement
Advertisement