Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exam question not covered in class

Options
  • 10-01-2018 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭

I am just back from an exam and there was one part of a question worth 8% that was never covered in the module, it's not mentioned anywhere in the lecture notes and nobody recalls it being mentioned in class. However, the question has been in a couple of past papers.

So my question is. Should a question be on an exam paper that isn't dealt with in class? This is a final year exam, these marks could be the difference between getting a first or not for the module and possibly overall.

I will probably wait for my results first, but depending on my mark I may have to dispute this. Would I have a leg to stand on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Pelvis wrote: »
    I am just back from an exam and there was one part of a question worth 8% that was never covered in the module, it's not mentioned anywhere in the lecture notes and nobody recalls it being mentioned in class. However, the question has been in a couple of past papers.

So my question is. Should a question be on an exam paper that isn't dealt with in class? This is a final year exam, these marks could be the difference between getting a first or not for the module and possibly overall.

I will probably wait for my results first, but depending on my mark I may have to dispute this. Would I have a leg to stand on?

Sounds like a very spoon feed degree if you expect all aspects of all exam questions to be directly dealt with in lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

It depends on the question to be honest.
    If it is a whole topic that was left out then thats one thing.
    But if its just a natural extension to a topic that was already covered then you might be expected to make that connection yourself and learn it yourself.

Can you post the question?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

It depends on the question to be honest.
    If it is a whole topic that was left out then thats one thing.
    But if its just a natural extension to a topic that was already covered then you might be expected to make that connection yourself and learn it yourself.

Can you post the question?

I don't have the full question unfortunately, it was regarding Pretty Good Privacy (PGP) and how it carries out authentication. It's not a whole new topic, we'd briefly gone over SSL/TLS but not PGP at all. As it's a technical question it's hard to infer an answer, I could answer if the question was about SSL, but as PGP is different and I didn't study it specifically then I don't know how it may differ from SSL, if at all!

I am not saying all aspects of an exam question should be directly covered btw, there were other questions that were not directly covered either, but I could infer answers based on the general content covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

.....However, the question has been in a couple of past papers.

......these marks could be the difference between getting a first or not for the module and possibly overall.

I personally dont think you'd have a leg to stand on.

The question appeared in previous papers. I'm sure it was to do with the topic you're studying. Unless it was a computer science exam and there was a question on Irish history.

It may not have been directly covered, bit you say it could mean the difference between a first or second.

These types of questions are included for precisely that purpose. A first would be worthless if it involved being fed slides and regurgitating the information on a page. It shows learning, but not necessarily understanding/that bit more to achieve a first.

Now I hope you get a first regardless if that's your goal and hope that you did well in the other questions.

Exam papers are deliberately tweaked to achieve a variance of results. If an exam has unusually high firsts, they'll tweak it to separate that anonamly. Otherwise a first would be worthless.

Advertisement