Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External REwiring from the pole to the house

Options
  • 10-01-2018 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hey there

I have 2 seperate friends with phone line issues.

Friend 1 has a phone line going to her business premises in a seperate building behind her home. She's retiring now, and wants the line physically moved back to her house ( a few meters away). I have a wifi repeater strung along some external cat6 cable between the 2 dwellings from attic to attic, but it's really not ideal with really low speeds and internet dropouts + packetloss.

Friend 2 lives in a 1980's semi-detatched house where the phone line goes into the unoccupied neighbouring dwelling and must run along inside walls to her phone jack. An Eircom engineer visited today to fit broadband, and couldn't find the jack. He needed to replace the line to get the broadband + home alarm system working.

Both these dwellings have telephone poles right beside them and the cable would only need to be moved a few meters.

Obviously these lines were fitted in pre-broadband times, but the engineers and help lines were at a loss on how to proceed to arrange the phone lines to be replaced. Who would be the best department to talk to, and what exactly should I be asking for?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭eir: Tracey

Doodie123 wrote: »
    Hey there

I have 2 seperate friends with phone line issues.

Friend 1 has a phone line going to her business premises in a seperate building behind her home. She's retiring now, and wants the line physically moved back to her house ( a few meters away). I have a wifi repeater strung along some external cat6 cable between the 2 dwellings from attic to attic, but it's really not ideal with really low speeds and internet dropouts + packetloss.

Friend 2 lives in a 1980's semi-detatched house where the phone line goes into the unoccupied neighbouring dwelling and must run along inside walls to her phone jack. An Eircom engineer visited today to fit broadband, and couldn't find the jack. He needed to replace the line to get the broadband + home alarm system working.

Both these dwellings have telephone poles right beside them and the cable would only need to be moved a few meters.

Obviously these lines were fitted in pre-broadband times, but the engineers and help lines were at a loss on how to proceed to arrange the phone lines to be replaced. Who would be the best department to talk to, and what exactly should I be asking for?
    Hi Doodie123,

I would recommend for both cases giving our technical support team a call on 1800 260 260 and one of our agents would be more than happy to assist you there. 

Thanks 

Tracey

Advertisement