Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 5 when?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vyse wrote: »
    100% agree with this. Would be extremely surprised to see a PS5 before 2020. My guess would be October/ November 2020. If a new console was released in 2019 would it be that much more powerful than the XBoxOne X?

It depends, the mid life console upgrades are being held back by the architecture of the consoles they are based on and the fact they have to be backwards compatible with them. The last few years has seen a very slow increase in GPU power and an even slower increase in CPU power, but with AMD putting pressure on Intel with Ryzen and bitcoin mining pushing GPU progress there could be a big jump in power with the next system.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It depends, the mid life console upgrades are being held back by the architecture of the consoles they are based on and the fact they have to be backwards compatible with them. The last few years has seen a very slow increase in GPU power and an even slower increase in CPU power, but with AMD putting pressure on Intel with Ryzen and bitcoin mining pushing GPU progress there could be a big jump in power with the next system.
    And prices alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Sony would have a deal in place with AMD for a set price per unit as they would be bulk buying

• Registered Users Posts: 13,976 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I genuinely don't care when they bring it out, but Sony have a track record of some of the best games coming out at the end of it's console life cycle, so I'd say we have a few more years of PS4 goodness until then!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Skerries wrote: »
    Sony would have a deal in place with AMD for a set price per unit as they would be bulk buying

AMD have the better bargaining position now with PC gaming going very strong and cryptocurrency earning them a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

crypto currency has ****ed up gpu prices with demand, isn't just Sony or MS that are hit.

They're going for twice or more their original rrp for some models.

Sony could go back to in-house.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Don't see it within the next three - four years TBH. Don't think there is the appetite for it yet. Costs/initial return on investment are higher and higher. You got to remember, people have to develop for these machines too so they will not be too eager to hop to a new platform any time soon. I think it is still relatively early in the PS4-Pro/XB1 lifecycles at the moment. They are just now looking at 4K etc.

I don't believe they will perform any heavy GPU/CPU lifting in the cloud anytime soon, if ever. Latency is still, and always will be, a factor.
    They may be able to perform some non-intensive, non-time critical functions in the cloud/on a distributed network environment: Things like streaming background music/audio, initial procedural level generation, background animation etc. Distributed computing like this would not be feasible in such a time-critical environment as gaming.
    An entirely virtual remote solution may be possible eventually: Gaming As A Service Virtual PS5. However the initial investment would be astronomical and inflexible: Sure, you could expand it for more users but how do you go from PS5 to PS6? Double the virtual CPU/GPU or rebuild?
    Plus, people like having a physical box under their TV as opposed to paying large amounts of money for a small box and a controller.

Absolutely the local storage will be reduced to bare minimum: Larger cache than now and, maybe a small drive for limited offline gaming but the vast majority of files will be online.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

I don’t think this current generation has really found its feet yet. There are only a handful of new standout games with a heavy reliance on remasters and rereleases.

While the remasters are nice—since I’ve never had a Sony console before—it really seems that we’re still waiting for the meat of this generation to deliver.

Then again I’m spoiled by my PC and I’m probably forgetting that some games I’ve enjoyed there have PowerPoint versions on console.

Varik wrote: »
    Sony could go back to in-house.

Not a hope of that happening. The last time they did that was with the Cell processor and that was a massive disaster. Whatever they had of their silicon fabrication has been sold off during the sony fire sale when they were going backrupt. Designing proprietary silicon does not make sense when it's cheaper to license to companies that can do it cheaper and also much better to go with established architecture so developers can hit the ground running. I very much doubt any future consoles will be deviating from x86 architecture especially considering the current consoles are a developer god send.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Richard Leadbetter from DF thinks we'll be seeing the next gen of consoles next year.
    I think he means they'll just be announced in 2019. Release probably spring 2020.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,281 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

• Registered Users Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭Penn

In a way it's disappointing, as 2013 to 2021 is a long time for the lifecycle of the console.

On the other hand, I think knowing that would make me more likely to maybe pull the trigger on PSVR in the next year or two if they keep making a few more games for it, and the library of PS4 games we'll have by 2021 should hopefully be a hell of a catalogue after what was a very slow start for the first few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,421 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

will Microsoft bring out their next console early to try and get a bigger cut of the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I am fine with 2021, the mid generation refresh means that those who want a more powerful machine, have that option.

2021, should also hopefully mean we will get a decent leap in tech as well, and hopefully keep price down as well.

I think the longer generations are ultimately a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

2020. The 21 is only end of production for the 4. 20 ties in with previous release intervals of Playstation generations.
    Check back in two years to see if my prediction is correct :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Not at all sure how reliable these sources are but interesting to see this rumour of an end of 2019 "surprise" launch.

I'm skeptical myself

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.t3.com/amp/news/well-be-unwrapping-our-new-ps5-consoles-christmas-2019

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

I'd be worried that a 2019 release would mean a PS5 Pro would be "necessary" in 2021/22 to keep pace with Scarlett/XBOX Two (assuming the MS console is later than PS5, and more powerful as a result).

Advertisement