Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini PC for plex media server

Options
  • 10-01-2018 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any recommendations for a low cost small form factor pc for use as a plex server.

I'm using a buffalo terrastation as external storage.

There are a couple on amazon, but i'm not sure if they can handle the processing plex requires

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You need to spec out you transcode needs. How many users/direct play vs transcoding at any one time?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

maybe pick up a 2nd hand small form factor Dell?

https://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_small+form+dell/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Along with the processing requirements, make sure you check the power usage. If this thing is going to be on 24/7 you could be looking at a fairly large increase in your yearly bill. For example something that would use 80 watts would cost €112 over a year at 16 cent per kwh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭thegreatiam

It will only be 1 stream at a time, my own tv.

So it's something I can switch on and off if I need to, noone will be relying on the connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭spongerobinson

If it's only one stream at a time buying/building a plex server is probably overkill. I use a Raspberry Pi running Libreelec, and it streams perfectly from my NAS box. Doesn't need any transcoding. It just plays directly from the NAS. Have had 3 boxes previously all playing simultaneously from the NAS without any issues at all.

• Advertisement

If it's only one stream at a time buying/building a plex server is probably overkill. I use a Raspberry Pi running Libreelec, and it streams perfectly from my NAS box. Doesn't need any transcoding. It just plays directly from the NAS. Have had 3 boxes previously all playing simultaneously from the NAS without any issues at all.

terrastation can't do this, it's not compatible with plex afaik

terrastation can't do this, it's not compatible with plex afaik

Is there a specific reason you need Plex? You should be able to mount your shares from your NAS directly into Kodi without Plex.

Is there a specific reason you need Plex? You should be able to mount your shares from your NAS directly into Kodi without Plex.

other than having a lifetime account not really, I prefer plex to kodi so i'm not that familier with kodi.

other than having a lifetime account not really, I prefer plex to kodi so i'm not that familier with kodi.

In that case I'm out I'm afraid! I thought you were just trying to play media from you NAS and thought you needed Plex. I'm the other way around...very familiar with Kodi and love it, but have very little experience with Plex.

In that case I'm out I'm afraid! I thought you were just trying to play media from you NAS and thought you needed Plex. I'm the other way around...very familiar with Kodi and love it, but have very little experience with Plex.

I'm happy enough with plex. not too keen on kodi,

just need to know if a small form pc has enough of a processor to use it.

this one on amazon seems likely. but I know nothing about processors other than general stuff

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074FQYPPZ/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=ICJU67ER4KJ7I&colid=10NFNJRJS2XES&psc=0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

# of Cores
    # of Threads
    Processor Base Frequency
    1.44 GHz
    Burst Frequency
    1.92 GHz
    Cache
    2 MB
    Scenario Design Power (SDP)
    2 W

Its an ultra low power chip, fine for streaming, no transcoding.

If all your content is stuff the TV(or Chromecast if the TV is >3yrs old) can play natively then that'd be fine. But if you say start using HEVC files in the next year or so and the TV doesnt support them then it wont manage to transcode them on the fly to "make" the tv compatible.

ED E wrote: »
    Its an ultra low power chip, fine for streaming, no transcoding.

If all your content is stuff the TV(or Chromecast if the TV is >3yrs old) can play natively then that'd be fine. But if you say start using HEVC files in the next year or so and the TV doesnt support them then it wont manage to transcode them on the fly to "make" the tv compatible.

Yeah, I have a large mixture of formats, any suggestions as to alternatives. and I'll look to see what the budget can match

Advertisement