Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing thermal paste

Options
  • 10-01-2018 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭

Hello

Just want to reapply thermal paste- when I built the pc 3 weeks ago I had trouble getting the stock cooler fan working and re-fitted - was plenty of paste left on but not the smoothest it could have been. Cpu temps are low but no harm reapplying I guess.

Have tried local pharmacy and boots to get some ispropyl alcohol to remove thermal paste but they don't stock? Any suggestions where I could get or of anything else would do the job??

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Try a different pharmacy, I had no trouble getting a 500ml bottle at my local one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

If your temps are OK, no need really. Removing a cooler once or twice when first installing wouldn't really have much impact on the paste.

In a pinch, use a tiny amount of white spirit to clean the old stuff and wipe the cpu down afterwards with a tissue.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

If your temps are OK, no need really. Removing a cooler once or twice when first installing wouldn't really have much impact on the paste.

In a pinch, use a tiny amount of white spirit to clean the old stuff and wipe the cpu down afterwards with a tissue.

Ok thanks (again) for the advice. Yeah was just the once and cpu temps low even when running heavy for hours ,so maybe will just leave it but check the temps every now and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Grahamer666

If you can't find any i have loads. Can give you some.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭elbyrneo

If you can't find any i have loads. Can give you some.

Ah cheers, I think I will leave it for a few weeks as it seems to be running low temps even on high loads, but thanks for the offer very kind!

Advertisement