Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough Areas to avoid in Dublin

Options
  • 10-01-2018 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi i am going to move to dublin soon and
    one of the houses i would like to live is from clonshaugh. i am just wondering if it is a good area to live? i have two kids so i would be looking for school and activities? Is there any train, bus, tram to city? and are there any rough areas near by that i should be aware to avoid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Marucha

one of the houses i would like to live is from clonshaugh. i am just wondering if it is a good area to live? i have two kids so i would be looking for school and activities? Is there any train, bus, tram to city? and are there any rough areas near by that i should be aware to avoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Marucha

hi i will moving to Dublin soon with my two kids and i would like to know what areas i should avoid to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭how.gareth

Marucha wrote: »
    hi i will moving to Dublin soon with my two kids and i would like to know what areas i should avoid to live or even walk to.

The whole place, we eat kids and strangers up here cause we are lunatics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

hi i will moving to Dublin soon with my two kids and i would like to know what areas i should avoid to live or even walk to.

Ah here op, you'll just get a rake of people firing off names of pretty much everywhere with a question like that.

You'd be better off asking what area would people recommend for two kids to rent or buy in at €X budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

North = bad, south = good. I think!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

As long as you keep out of the favelas you should be ok.

Then why is the average price of a house in south dublin lower than in north?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Best to keep clear of the Projects where Conor McGregor grew up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

cisk wrote: »

Wow, I didn’t know that. As someone living outside Dublin I always thought that south was the “posh” bit. You learn something new every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

cisk wrote:

Increased supply? Much fewer houses on North side. Also plenty of dodgy areas on South side. Realistically everywhere you live in Dublin you will be pretty close to someone undesirable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

cisk wrote:

Fake News

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Fake News

It was an interesting assertion, perhaps you'd like to enlighten us with some data to back up your rebuttal.

I may be selling up shortly, depending on your reply:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Because south dublin includes tallaght, clondalkin etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

West=bad, East= good

Honourable mention goes to Lucan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Bus service is (as far as I know) rubbish. CAn't offer any opinion on very local schools. However, I can tell you that you might find one side of Clonshaugh is more 'exciting' than the other. If I was to pick somewhere to live there, I'd be looking at Newbury Estate. After that, any road called Clonshaugh xxxx. Other than those, I wouldn't consider living there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Ok guys- cop on and try to offer constructive advice to the OP.
    OP- ask reasonable questions- vague leading questions which invite people to ridicule entire areas- are not appropriate.
    Thread reopened.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Clonshaugh wouldn't be on top of my list. It's mostly fine but you want to be streetwise as parts of it is bordering Darndale which is a very rough area.

I personally would prefer Santry (not Ballymun), Whitehall, Artane or Clongriffin if you have to live in the vicinity.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

If you have to live in the general area- and have a budget that will stretch beyond Clonshaugh- how about Swords- or back down towards the sea- Sutton?
    If you're looking at Clonshaugh purely on the basis of the level of rent there- well, there is a reason its less than some more salubrious areas- its a less desireable address- its not Darndale- but its not far off.

Swords and Sutton are well known as locations that airport workers (including flight crews etc) live- they've good transport links, good amenities and facilities- and reasonable schools.

Are you budget constrained- or do you have a specific reason for wanting to be in the general area?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I think the concept of a rough area is funny, depends on where you grew up and your definition of rough. Somebody who grew up in dalkey would consider some parts of lucan quite rough , whereas somebody who grew up in whitehall would see cabra as a nice area.

overall there are some areas (ballymun, tallaght, clondalkin, finglas, ringsend, dublin 1 in general) that most people consider rough (steady on the 'i grew up there and its lovely' crew, you may see that but the crime stats say no) but in general dublin as a whole is more dangerous than rural ireland, but less dangerous than the majority of european cities.

A handy trick to decide between 2 or 3 areas is to go to a car insurance site, key in all your details only change the address and note the price differences, the lower the price the better the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

A handy trick to decide between 2 or 3 areas is to go to a car insurance site, key in all your details only change the address and note the price differences, the lower the price the better the area.

It's a poor indicator to use as postcodes are used which is a broad brush stroke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Em there not.
    https://www.google.ie/amp/s/amp.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/property-prices-in-the-dublin-market-to-hit-boomtime-levels-within-the-year-36094720.html

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Pick a budget then find it on the Northside DART line. There is everything from some of the nicest areas in Dublin to working class areas which are grand but might not suit everyone all within 15-20 minutes of each other. As for other European cities I actually find Dublin as a whole to be a bit rough but then I grew up in Oxfordshire so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

Ballymun
    Poppintree
    Darndake
    Tallaght
    Ballyfermot
    Ballybough
    Northwall
    North city centre

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭audi5

Go here:

https://maps.pobal.ie/WebApps/DeprivationIndices/index.html

On right menu Layer List, click Pobal Deprivation then select 2016-By Small Area

Then zoom into the map

Blue = good
    Green = ok
    Yellow = bad
    Orange =very bad

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's a poor indicator to use as postcodes are used which is a broad brush stroke.

not necissarily, but that said quotes will be much higher in dublin 22 or 24 than dublin 4 or 6 and anyone who knows dublin knows why and that its accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

audi5 wrote: »
    Go here:

https://maps.pobal.ie/WebApps/DeprivationIndices/index.html

On right menu Layer List, click Pobal Deprivation then select 2016-By Small Area

Then zoom into the map

Blue = good
    Green = ok
    Yellow = bad
    Orange =very bad

In fairness some of those yellow and orange areas on the Northside are perfectly fine, and infact some of them seem a bit wonky. Sides of the Kilbarrack DART station for one thing is off. Not sure about quite so much Blue around Clongriffin either. Say what you want about Kilbarrack but I've never seen a turd on the inside of the DART station like the one in Clongriffin yesterday evening :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

not necissarily, but that said quotes will be much higher in dublin 22 or 24 than dublin 4 or 6 and anyone who knows dublin knows why and that its accurate.

You're comparing different post codes, and there's the assumption that every area within the same postcodes is the same, which any sensible person knows is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

Wow, I didn’t know that. As someone living outside Dublin I always thought that south was the “posh” bit. You learn something new every day!
    Ballybrack is close to killiney two total opposites.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

cisk wrote:

Howth, malahide, Sutton and a few other localized areas are the reason.

What's the cheapest house in howth? 900k?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Fanny Wank

ThisRegard wrote: »

Most use small area not postcode

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement