Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough Areas to avoid in Dublin

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

khaldrogo wrote: »
    Howth, malahide, Sutton and a few other localized areas are the reason.

What's the cheapest house in howth? 900k?

190k for a one bed apartmwnt

350k for a house

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

PeterCasey wrote: »
    Ballybrack is close to killiney two total opposites.

And monkstown farm, parts of shankill, little Bray, parts of Donnybrook etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭PeterCasey

vicwatson wrote: »

In a population of a million half people you are going to have less privalage areas than others there is good bad people everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

audi5 wrote: »
    Go here:

https://maps.pobal.ie/WebApps/DeprivationIndices/index.html

On right menu Layer List, click Pobal Deprivation then select 2016-By Small Area

Then zoom into the map

Blue = good
    Green = ok
    Yellow = bad
    Orange =very bad

That map is bullsh*t!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

That map is bullsh*t!

Did you filter by small area. Or did it hurt your feelings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Best to keep clear of the Projects where Conor McGregor grew up.

and the ones U2 grew up in too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭audi5

I guess problem with this map is that it is based on actual data points rather than anecdotes or personal opinions or what you saw the last time you were passing through it.

There is a methodology behind it, things like unemployment rate, % of social housing, primary/third level education, % lone parent household etc contribute to the index and the colouring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

I'd go for Foxrock or maybe Dalkey at a stretch. Anywhere else and you're basically living in a favela.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I guess problem with this map is that it is based on actual data points rather than anecdotes or personal opinions or what you saw the last time you were passing through it.

There is a methodology behind it, things like unemployment rate, % of social housing, primary/third level education, % lone parent household etc contribute to the index and the colouring.

If you go onto the small mapping, there are literally single streets that come out better than the surrounding areas. Sorry, but I'm not giving that much credibility. Same with the mapping of the rural areas where basically everything is disadvantaged :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

PeterCasey wrote: »
    vicwatson wrote: »

In a population of a million half people you are going to have less privalage areas than others there is good bad people everywhere.
    The staff for the big houses have to live somewhere!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- honestly- you all should know better.
    Less talk of Favelas etc- please and thankyou.
    If you don't have something constructive to offer the OP- regardless of how ridiculous you think their question is- it is not an invitation to audition for Saturday night at the Apollo.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Somedaythefire

I guess I'm deprived so! I was looking at it and my area is orange, but my area is filled with a lot of older retired people, very few young professional families so that could colour the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

LirW wrote: »
    If you go onto the small mapping, there are literally single streets that come out better than the surrounding areas. Sorry, but I'm not giving that much credibility. Same with the mapping of the rural areas where basically everything is disadvantaged :rolleyes:

The country is usually considered disadvantaged. Incomes and discretionary spending are usually much lower and there is a distinct lack of public services and amenities.

I've lived in a fair number of locations in the City and browsed that map for a hour. I saw what I would consider some mistakes but most of it was very accurate. Even to the point where in a sea of Blue I could see a small orange area, turned out there was a halting site there. Outside of telling somebody to avoid any area starting with Bally, its a pretty good litmus test of a general area/street.

On a more serious note to help the OP:

If you're looking to rent you can't really be picky, especially if you have children. Landlords generally have a huge selection of prospect tenants to pick from and the easiest for them is a professional couple. So whatever comes up for a good price in an okay enough area will probably do. Good indicators if an area isn't the greatest are: littering, noise from quads, horses around the communal green areas, groups of teenagers hanging out, especially in the later evening.

If you're looking to buy that's another cup of tea though. What's your budget? If you have only a certain amount to spend that would buy you into bad areas, it would make sense expanding the search into the North County, Meath or Kildare, because the value for money is a lot better yet you still have decent enough transport choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Having a look at the map it will be interesting to see the next version. There are a few areas that I see are marginally below average that are currently all fields on the map but are now developed and the demographic has totally changed.

I also wonder of the impact on the weighting of %social housing on areas of new development when there is a minimum % of social housing.

In response to the OP a budget and perhaps work location my be helpful. There might be buses in an area but not going to the right place for you.

As mentioned northside Swords is a nice commuter town and has a lot going for it.

South side there are a lot of nice places but it depend son what you expect to be paying for accommodation. The general comment son Tallaght are specific to certain areas in my opinion, as mentioned the car insurance is not really a way to go which is backed up by the deprivation indexes map. Dublin 24 has a crazy high loading on it and yet certain areas of it are green or blue.

There are a lot of nice areas in say D6,14, 16, 24 that might really suit you but there are also a lot of areas that I would avoid like say Whitechurch (which funny enough parts are blue in the depvrivation index), Hillview, Jobstown

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

The country is usually considered disadvantaged. Incomes and discretionary spending are usually much lower and there is a distinct lack of public services and amenities.

I've lived in a fair number of locations in the City and browsed that map for a hour. I saw what I would consider some mistakes but most of it was very accurate. Even to the point where in a sea of Blue I could see a small orange area, turned out there was a halting site there. Outside of telling somebody to avoid any area starting with Bally, its a pretty good litmus test of a general area/street.

You raise an interesting point about a halting site. Its a pretty good metric, if you can see one or live within walking distance of one, youre always going to have problems , that would be the biggest red flag for me in an area.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,076 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You raise an interesting point about a halting site. Its a pretty good metric, if you can see one or live within walking distance of one, youre always going to have problems , that would be the biggest red flag for me in an area.
    I lived 1.2km walk from a halting site for 12 years and had no problems whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 jamesa9911

I think the first considerations should be:

1. Do you have a car to use, to remove reliance on public transport?
    The Luas tram service does not provide good coverage across dublin. A commute from West Dublin to South Dublin would easily consume 1.5hours hours of travelling, adding an additional 15hours onto your work week. (assuming 50 work weeks a year, that's approx. 750hours a year commuting to work..) Most of the Dublin transport services provide service to the city centre, where you will be required to connect. This may not be as bad in some places, but it's what I have experienced.

If you have a car, you may be able to avoid the luas/bus and gain a lot more flexibility. Of course, you would then need to find somewhere with parking. This is a bigger issue now since many housing developments have shared parking, and as the economic recovery continues, more cars will be added to those shared residential car parks, making parking quite difficult in some places. Permit systems sometimes work, but they are easily abused, and no-one really wants to be calling Apcoa on their neighbour (I've never needed too, but I can imagine it would cause friction). If there is no permit/fine system in place, it'll be a free-for-all.

2. What's the rental budget? (I'm assuming you are not buying, otherwise you really need alot more guidance than you're getting here) as Dublin is currently booming and rents are extremely high, for fairly poor standards of accommodation. Viewing would be essential in my opinion, which is difficult if you are moving from outside Dublin.

3. Where will you be working? Central/North/South/West Dublin? There's no point in living way up North if you plan to drive to Sandyford every day - the M50 is always backed up during regular rush hour. Working in central Dublin is perfect, as nearly all transport options feed into the city centre. It seems 'clonshaugh' is up North, so hopefully you've considered this; Google Maps can help - you can use the 'Public transport' options. A quick Google shows a 22minute walk from Clonslaugh to a Bus station in 'Darndale, Fairfield Estate', so I would say that no, it's not a well connected town.

I know this doesn't help answer on where to buy, but it will help people recommend good places based on your requirements. Once you know roughly the correct place to be looking - then you really just need to find the better place to live within that area, avoiding some of the rougher spots. As previously mentioned, you'll always be 10mins drive from somewhere rough in Dublin (Ballymun and Finglas are not far from clonshaugh for example).

If you're working down South or Central Dublin, and budget isn't an issue, there are mostly good places to live anywhere between Stephen's Green and Dundrum/Sandyford, but the prices reflect this.. I couldn't comment on schools or activities for kids, schools and activities are everywhere though, so getting a place closer to work would make sense to me.

Finally clonslaugh is right beside the airport, underneath the plane paths, and right beside the M1/M50 junction - won't that be too noisy??!

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

Drive around the area, if you see junkies hanging around, burnt out cars, or 'UB40' painted on a wall, don't move there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

daveyeh wrote: »
    or 'UB40' painted on a wall,

Presumably they'll be driving around the area in a time machine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Yeah, wouldn't touch Castleknock :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Researchlab

Marucha wrote: »
    Hi i am going to move to dublin soon and
    one of the houses i would like to live is from clonshaugh. i am just wondering if it is a good area to live? i have two kids so i would be looking for school and activities? Is there any train, bus, tram to city? and are there any rough areas near by that i should be aware to avoid?

The best way to see if the area is good is to see if the area meets the following criteria:
    1. Is the cost of renting a 2 bed above 1600 euros? - YES
    2. Is the cost of buying a house 400k or more? - YES
    3. Is there a waiting list for childcare/schools? - YES
    4. Does the area came up on the news in a negative way? - NO

If all the above is met, then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

van_beano wrote:
    Yeah, wouldn't touch Castleknock

Or Malahide, Portmarnock, Skerries, Clontarf, Howth, Sutton, Glasnevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

MayoSalmon wrote: »
    Or Malahide, Portmarnock, Skerries, Clontarf, Howth, Sutton, Glasnevin.

not to mention that the area he says to avoid doesnt include darndale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Wesser wrote: »

North city centre

Would Clontarf , Killester and the likes not be considered North city centre, being a mere 6km from O'connell st?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

When gentrification is finally complete (jeez I'd wish they'd hurry up already) all parts of Dublin inside a 8km radius will be nice :D

Gentrification is due to be completed on the 32nd of Octember 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Thomas J. Clarke.
    Seán Mac Diarmada.
    Thomas MacDonagh.
    P. H. Pearse.
    Éamonn Ceannt.
    James Connolly.
    Joseph Plunkett.

Avoid estates named after these gentlemen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭crossman47

Go here:

On right menu Layer List, click Pobal Deprivation then select 2016-By Small Area

Then zoom into the map

Blue = good
    Green = ok
    Yellow = bad
    Orange =very bad

Its not very sensible to use these as indicators of rough areas. They are based on census data for employment, etc. An area with a lot of retired people could well come out as yellow or orange.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement