Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough Areas to avoid in Dublin

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

jon1981 wrote:
    Would Clontarf , Killester and the likes not be considered North city centre, being a mere 6km from O'connell st?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Well it wasn't completely predictable where this thread was going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,342 ✭✭✭mojesius

Do a daft search for a 3 bed house for sale anywhere in Dublin, max price 240k. That should weed out some of the less desirable areas, but note that this will probably show some houses in ok areas that need a lot of work done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Thread is more suited to After Hours with the level of posting and 'advice'.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭audi5

crossman47 wrote: »
    Its not very sensible to use these as indicators of rough areas. They are based on census data for employment, etc. An area with a lot of retired people could well come out as yellow or orange.

Thats a fair criticism. An area with lot of older folks will appear yellow/orange mainly because of demographic profile factor (and not employment rate).

This map is not a perfect indicator of an area of being rough, but I would say there is a very high correlation and I have yet to find a better way..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

My parents live in what would be considered Castleknock if selling...recent house 3 bed semi sale was 480k. Shows orange. Very retired road (incidentally single households are widowers not widows which is odd)

I live nearby in just about positive equity...green. Traditionally not such a good area...my dad just today told me so
    But we all work etc and have incomes to service a mortgage

Anyway this is going off op question. We still don't know if they want to rent or buy. I must say I don't know Clonshaugh but it depends on schooling jobs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭frefrefre

Thomas J. Clarke.
    Seán Mac Diarmada.
    Thomas MacDonagh.
    P. H. Pearse.
    Éamonn Ceannt.
    James Connolly.
    Joseph Plunkett.

Avoid estates named after these gentlemen

Better than Moss Side or Beswick!
    Southside, if you're looking for value, it' hard to find near the city centre but maybe try around Inchicore road or Chapelizod.
    Anywhere on the green luas line is extortionate as is Dublin 2 and Dublin 4, a lot of your international 'expats' and high end type living here.
    On the northside, along the coast is fantastic but pricey, maybe Portmarnock will be a bit cheaper than Malahide, Sutton, Howth and Clontarf.
    Further out in North county Dublin would be cheapest, Balbriggan, lusk, etc. Check train access.
    Plenty of decent parts of Tallaght, don't mind the snobs, although you are going to find most of the 'sink estates' will be in West Dublin. However, Old Lucan is lovely and Maynooth in Kildare is a great village.
    Just remember, there are plenty of over rated areas in Dublin. I'm currently in Ballinteer and it's pretty souless apart from a great park.
    If you can stretch it. try get somewhere with a nice village, I really think Chapelizod is underrated and far cheaper than most.
    If you can afford it though, it's hard to look past Ranelagh, Clontarf, Dalkey or Malahide as the best that Dublin offers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thomas J. Clarke.
    Seán Mac Diarmada.
    Thomas MacDonagh.
    P. H. Pearse.
    Éamonn Ceannt.
    James Connolly.
    Joseph Plunkett.

Avoid estates named after these gentlemen

Shows the mentality of the types of posts in this thread. Are these towers even still around? We’re they not all demolished?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

You'll probably get best bang for buck/proximity to city around Crumlin/kimmage/dublin 12 in general. Crumlin's reputation seems pretty unwarranted these days and it's within a 15 min cycle or 40 minute walk to the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

LirW wrote: »
    If you go onto the small mapping, there are literally single streets that come out better than the surrounding areas. Sorry, but I'm not giving that much credibility. Same with the mapping of the rural areas where basically everything is disadvantaged :rolleyes:

I had a look at the village and town beside where i'm from and I'd say its fairly accurate. Generally the estates marked as slightly disadvantaged would be correct.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- I'm disappointed at the standard of posting in this thread.
    As I do not foresee any further nuggets of value to the OP- thread closed.
    Its staying closed this time.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement