Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

European T&F Masters, Madrid, March. Who's going?!

• 10-01-2018 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

So, is anyone going to this event? Turns out the closing date for entries is 18th January so I'll need to make up my mind sooner than I'd thought!

I've not been to one of these international events before so would love more information, such as:

- Is there a qualifying time? (don't think so)
    - Do I need to be a member of the Irish Masters Association in order to enter?
    - Do they tend to extend the entries deadline?
    - Any tips on the venue, if anyone's been there?
    - Any thoughts on where's best to stay?
    - Is the event much different from the Irish T&F provincials and nationals?

There is a website which I'm currently wading through, just looking to get people's experiences of this kind of event really. Thanks ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

Nice one. I'd be interested to hear any info too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Mulberry wrote: »
    So, is anyone going to this event? Turns out the closing date for entries is 18th January so I'll need to make up my mind sooner than I'd thought!

I've not been to one of these international events before so would love more information, such as:

- Is there a qualifying time? (don't think so)
    - Do I need to be a member of the Irish Masters Association in order to enter?
    - Do they tend to extend the entries deadline?
    - Any tips on the venue, if anyone's been there?
    - Any thoughts on where's best to stay?
    - Is the event much different from the Irish T&F provincials and nationals?

There is a website which I'm currently wading through, just looking to get people's experiences of this kind of event really. Thanks ;)

Not old enough, and doubt I’ll do it when I am old enough as I’d likely go out in the heats, but I train with some masters athletes who have competed internationally. Can’t answer all the questions but there are definitely no qualification standards. You pay the entry fee, you run. You buy the gear off AAI as far as I’m aware. They have extended entries on occasion but do you really want to take that risk? Put in the entry, and if you don’t go, you’ve only lost the entry fee.

No it is nothing like provincial and national masters. It’s a proper international championship with heats, semi finals etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I'm really tempted. I'm just not really sure what shape I'm in or will be in. I might just go for the experience because if i got a bad injury or something i might regret not going to at least one.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

IvoryTower wrote: »
    I'm really tempted. I'm just not really sure what shape I'm in or will be in. I might just go for the experience because if i got a bad injury or something i might regret not going to at least one.

Yep I'd much prefer to decide after the nationals, or at least after the Leinsters, but no, decision has to be made in the next week!

There's also the world masters in Spain (Malaga) in September. Standard seems to be much the same. That'll be my fall back I think if I don't go to Madrid.

I've messaged the Irish Masters Association about how quickly I can register as a member - waiting to hear back from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,482 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Pretty sure Dubgal is going, if you know how to get in touch.

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Pretty sure Dubgal is going, if you know how to get in touch.

Thanks, she's on my list to brainpick :cool:, and yes I can reach her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Okay so you can enter into it but your entry wont be approved until you've registered with Irish Masters. So plenty of time to get both done.

My missus has exams then so don't think i'll be going

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Okay so you can enter into it but your entry wont be approved until you've registered with Irish Masters. So plenty of time to get both done.

My missus has exams then so don't think i'll be going

Thanks IT.

Feedback from Dubgal was that it's great experience and good to do, especially if you're considering Malaga (which I am). She came up with the clever idea of choosing just one event, and going for a one day trip, or maybe an overnighter depending on the time of the race. So this is what I'm thinking of doing. I've emailed them to see what time my 200M race is on, on the Tuesday. We'll see if they come back in time but now I'm erring on the side of registering for just that event, rather than for the 60 as well which is on the Thursday and which would involve me being gone for the full week.

Mulberry wrote: »
    Thanks IT.

Feedback from Dubgal was that it's great experience and good to do, especially if you're considering Malaga (which I am). She came up with the clever idea of choosing just one event, and going for a one day trip, or maybe an overnighter depending on the time of the race. So this is what I'm thinking of doing. I've emailed them to see what time my 200M race is on, on the Tuesday. We'll see if they come back in time but now I'm erring on the side of registering for just that event, rather than for the 60 as well which is on the Thursday and which would involve me being gone for the full week.

A day trip to Madrid to run in a major masters championship? That’s madness IMO. You will be exhausted. You won’t have your bearings. And what if you progressed further than you thought you would? Or if heats were cancelled because of lower numbers than they anticipated, and so the semi finals the next day became the first round?

I think it’s the type of thing that if one is going to do it then do it properly and go for a few days, rather than half-assing it.

And if you go for a day trip you’ll be missing out on the whole experience of meeting other Irish and foreign competitors. That would be a shame.

Chivito has a point. No sense diluting the whole experience by rushing from the airport to the track then back to the airport!!
    I think focusing on the one event is a good plan though :)

• Advertisement

Chivito has a point. No sense diluting the whole experience by rushing from the airport to the track then back to the airport!!
    I think focusing on the one event is a good plan though :)

And a 2 hour flight delay would play havoc to the nerves. :)

Make a trip out of it, soak up the whole experience, make new friends from home and abroad. I’d stay 3-4 days if competing in one event, and 5-6 days if doing two events, depending on exact timetable.

Just to clarify, Dubgal wasn't advocating a one day trip! Any more than you Chivito. But the one event trip does appeal. Well staying for a week appeals more! But work doesn't really permit that.

I'll check out the flights. Career Move, what you are planning? The 200 or the 60 or both???

I think I'd go for the 200. Give myself some sort of a fighting chance :D

Advertisement