Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Straight law TCD?

Options
  • 10-01-2018 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I was wondering what this course is like. How many hours do you spend in a class a week? 9 or 12? And how are these broken up exactly?

Also, how is it making friends in this course, are the people open to making new friends? Are the pure law students a tight knit bunch?

Are the lectures/tutorials held in the law building (house 39) or in the arts building? Also, what is the law building like?

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

Mh2018 wrote: »
    I was wondering what this course is like. How many hours do you spend in a class a week? 9 or 12? And how are these broken up exactly? 9 hours, 3 hours per module with the odd extra hour for tutorials. Generally 1 hour lectures spread all over the week though there may be some 2 hour lectures iirc

Also, how is it making friends in this course, are the people open to making new friends? Are the pure law students a tight knit bunch? People from a wide variety of backgrounds with various interests in the class. I think theres around 90 in pure law so probably as tight as a group that size can get.

Are the lectures/tutorials held in the law building (house 39) or in the arts building? Also, what is the law building like? Mostly in the arts block

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Let me know if you've more questions :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Mh2018

Moomat wrote: »

Thanks for your answer!

Presuming that you are on the course, can I ask how you find it? Do you enjoy it, would you recommend?

Does studying straight law get boring/repetitive from time to time?

How is the timetable made out? Are the lectures/tutorials spread out awkwardly or are they usually one after another in blocks ? Is the course work intense?

How are the facilities in trinity? More specifically, how are the facilities for the law school?

Thanks for your answer!

Presuming that you are on the course, can I ask how you find it? Do you enjoy it, would you recommend?

Does studying straight law get boring/repetitive from time to time?

How is the timetable made out? Are the lectures/tutorials spread out awkwardly or are they usually one after another in blocks ? Is the course work intense?

How are the facilities in trinity? More specifically, how are the facilities for the law school?

Thanks for your answer!

Presuming that you are on the course, can I ask how you find it? Do you enjoy it, would you recommend? I'm in the final year of the law and business course and would recommend it.

Does studying straight law get boring/repetitive from time to time? Huge variation in topics, some more interesting than others.

How is the timetable made out? Are the lectures/tutorials spread out awkwardly or are they usually one after another in blocks ? Is the course work intense? Timetable is usually released a few weeks before the term starts in September. One hour lectures mostly and are usually scheduled between 9 - 5pm, though I did have some on after that in the first two years.

How are the facilities in trinity? More specifically, how are the facilities for the law school? No complaints from me. The law section of the library is well stocked. Regarding classes etc, they are in the Arts block so shared with many other courses

Please see replies above :)

Please see replies above :)

Thanks again! As for business and law (which I am also interested in) can I ask how the two seperate subjects compliment each other? Are business and law two very different subjects to study? And besides not knowing which career to choose or being ‘unsure’ of what you want to do after school, what are the benefits of a degree like business and law? Is the extra subject pointless, or useful in a direct way? If I’m sure I want a career in law should I just do a straight law course, or if I’m interested in law but would like to specialize in commercial law, would the business help me or could a pure law degree offer me the same if I choose my modules correctly?

• Advertisement

Thanks again! As for business and law (which I am also interested in) can I ask how the two seperate subjects compliment each other? Are business and law two very different subjects to study? And besides not knowing which career to choose or being ‘unsure’ of what you want to do after school, what are the benefits of a degree like business and law? Is the extra subject pointless, or useful in a direct way? If I’m sure I want a career in law should I just do a straight law course, or if I’m interested in law but would like to specialize in commercial law, would the business help me or could a pure law degree offer me the same if I choose my modules correctly?

You're welcome :)

In the most general sense, I would say that the intention is to create graduates that have strong critical analysis skills and a commercial awareness, combined with a solid foundation in law and business.

Two very different topics with substantially more reading in law. However, they're both arts degrees so many similarities.

I certainly wouldn't see the extra degree as pointless. I am interested in legal technologies and legal practice, so the course has allowed me combine both disciplines and have insights that perhaps a straight law or business student would not have.

Yes, you can certainly do straight law and select subjects such as company law, corporate governance, commercial law etc. This will give an an insight into how law affects certain aspects of business, but would give you little information on the running of these businesses.

Advertisement