Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stairs regulations

• 10-01-2018 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

What's the minimum height and length I need for a stairs in a bungalow ? Thinking of converting the attic and wondering if I have room for stairs

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Part K tgd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Digged wrote: »
    What's the minimum height and length I need for a stairs in a bungalow ? Thinking of converting the attic and wondering if I have room for stairs

I thought going to be a joke from the first question. :D

But the height is the rise between floors, and length depends on rise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

The lenght of the stairs obviously depends on how high your ceilings are. The taller the ceiling the more steps and the longer the stairs. If you're only trying to get a rough idea to see if the project is a runner then measure the distance from the ceiling to the floor. We can then make a rough allowance for the timber in the attic and give you a rough idea of the size and number of steps required.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 ajarms86

Hi Lads, instead of starting a new tread, I did a search and it landed me hear so hope this is OK..

So the question is: Can I have different going lenghts on on the two sections of a dog-leg stairs?

i. é. 14 steps with a half landing, first run is 8 steps with a 220 going and second run is 6 steps with 245 going?

Looks like it's OK from a TGD Part K pov but has any Techies on here designed a stairs like this? And if so did you get any flack from the Architect/builder/stairs guy etc.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Consecutive steps to have the same going. But the dig leg makes them non consecutive I guess, it’s not defined.

Why the change in length?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 ajarms86

Basically just trying to get the head height over the lower run to line up with the landing step of the second run, so that the stair trimmer ope is a straight line (and can't do a standard even number of steps on each run due to the layout constraints)

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Yeah I've often put a stairs into a nook with two quarter landings where the goings between the landings have to be slightly different to fill the space.

Advertisement