Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air space defence?

• 10-01-2018 8:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭

Quite interested in the military capabilities of the country and recently I began thinking of the fact that there seems to be an agreement between the Irish and British government's that the raf would come to our aid in the event of a hijacking or whatever else.
    Now though with Brexit on it's way, surely this won't be allowed by the eu?
    A non eu country defending an eu nations airspace seems laughable.
    So what happens in this regard? Do things remain the same and we pretend we don't need a suitable air force or could the eu force the government to properly police our skies?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭sparky42

bear1 wrote: »
    Quite interested in the military capabilities of the country and recently I began thinking of the fact that there seems to be an agreement between the Irish and British government's that the raf would come to our aid in the event of a hijacking or whatever else.
    Now though with Brexit on it's way, surely this won't be allowed by the eu?
    A non eu country defending an eu nations airspace seems laughable.
    So what happens in this regard? Do things remain the same and we pretend we don't need a suitable air force or could the eu force the government to properly police our skies?

You are aware the USAF does this all the time so no it's not an issue with an EU nation having it's airspace defended by a NON-EU nation (OK that goes through NATO but still).

So far the EU still doesn't have such integrated Defence stances/polices so they aren't going to make an issue one way or the other. They can't "force" us to spend on defence and there's no political will to spend the 100 million or so a year that a Gripen deal would need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭bear1

sparky42 wrote: »
    You are aware the USAF does this all the time so no it's not an issue with an EU nation having it's airspace defended by a NON-EU nation (OK that goes through NATO but still).

So far the EU still doesn't have such integrated Defence stances/polices so they aren't going to make an issue one way or the other. They can't "force" us to spend on defence and there's no political will to spend the 100 million or so a year that a Gripen deal would need.

But with Ireland agreeing to pesco, doesn't that force the government to dedicate a certain percentage of gdp on defence spending?
    I see the gripen deal is mentioned a few times in threads about defence, any reason? Has the government been pursing this sort of deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But with Ireland agreeing to pesco, doesn't that force the government to dedicate a certain percentage of gdp on defence spending?
    I see the gripen deal is mentioned a few times in threads about defence, any reason? Has the government been pursing this sort of deal?

No it's actually doesn't we have opt outs for most of the pesco deal ,
    Don't think we can afford gripens ,an aircraft I would love to see as part of the defence forces ,
    From my understanding the 800+ million defense budget roughly half goes on wages and pensions ,
    But I don't see why we can't have EU aircraft based here under a mutual cooperation deal

Not for us, now given the basic Capital spend that we have coming up it's going to increase before falling back again.

As for Gripen, it's because several of the Eastern European nations have been able to set up "leases" for about €100 million a year for a Squadron or so, but no so far there's not anything to suggest such spending (or that the AC could sustain such operations)

Gatling wrote: »
    No it's actually doesn't we have opt outs for most of the pesco deal ,
    Don't think we can afford gripens ,an aircraft I would love to see as part of the defence forces ,
    From my understanding the 800+ million defense budget roughly half goes on wages and pensions ,
    But I don't see why we can't have EU aircraft based here under a mutual cooperation deal

Something needs to be drastically done if half the budget given to the defence forces goes on wages and pensions.
    200 million in relative terms is nothing.
    As far as I'm aware that money needs to last them till 2020?
    You'd think with us nearing to the next decade that the fixed wing craft are going to become absolete for their purpose.
    Aren't the government simply pushing back an inevitability rather than facing it head on and getting it over with?
    Economy is going well so maybe joining NATO and basing aircraft here could be a cheap and beneficially solution?

• Advertisement

Gatling wrote: »

Because our looney tunes groups would probably damage them just for laughs, or more likely the 27 would point out that we aren't a poor nation and perhaps we could spend more than .6% on defence if we want such capabilities rather than asking other nations to provide it.

Because our looney tunes groups would probably damage them just for laughs, or more likely the 27 would point out that we aren't a poor nation and perhaps we could spend more than .6% on defence if we want such capabilities rather than asking other nations to provide it.

Agree with that.
    What percentage would it have to be before we could comfortably start improving our capabilities?
    5%?

Something needs to be drastically done if half the budget given to the defence forces goes on wages and pensions.
    You'd think with us nearing to the next decade that the fixed wing craft are going to become absolete for their purpose.
    Aren't the government simply pushing back an inevitability rather than facing it head on and getting it over with?
    Economy is going well so maybe joining NATO and basing aircraft here could be a cheap and beneficially solution?

I think it's 200 million for Pensions, 600 million for everything else (including wages). And no the 800 million doesn't last till 2020, it's no different to any other department in that it's a yearly amount, next budget it will be set again.
    As for Capital spend, if you noticed at the budget it was already announced that 2018 would see the start of the CASA replacement and the EPV (so about 300 million in Capital spend say over the next 4 years (possibly as high as 400 million).
    The Government is doing what every Irish Government does, focus on what gets them elected, spending on defence is not one of those areas and so it will get just enough to keep what we have.
    As for joining NATO forget it, and basing aircraft here? Short of deploying the army then it won't happen given our PANA types (and the USN COD example)

Agree with that.
    What percentage would it have to be before we could comfortably start improving our capabilities?
    5%?

No, even the 1% would be about doubling our current spend (and up to '96 we spent above that 1%). No EU nation is spending 5% GDP on defence, 2% is the NATO recommendation.

I think it's 200 million for Pensions, 600 million for everything else (including wages). And no the 800 million doesn't last till 2020, it's no different to any other department in that it's a yearly amount, next budget it will be set again.
    As for Capital spend, if you noticed at the budget it was already announced that 2018 would see the start of the CASA replacement and the EPV (so about 300 million in Capital spend say over the next 4 years (possibly as high as 400 million).
    The Government is doing what every Irish Government does, focus on what gets them elected, spending on defence is not one of those areas and so it will get just enough to keep what we have.
    As for joining NATO forget it, and basing aircraft here? Short of deploying the army then it won't happen given our PANA types (and the USN COD example)

Such a pity but I suppose when you think the military doesn't even have proper radar then shelling out a fortune on jets makes no sense.

• Advertisement

No, even the 1% would be about doubling our current spend (and up to '96 we spent above that 1%). No EU nation is spending 5% GDP on defence, 2% is the NATO recommendation.

Yeah was just plucking a figure out.
    So essentially they would need to receive a budget of 2 billion a year to meet standards.
    A budget the defence forces would be proud of I'd say.
    I remember hearing after 9/11 Bertie asked what the forces needed and he was told a squadron of f16s.
    Probably rubbish though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,635 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The RAF would step in, because they are next and an attack in Ireland would probably be a precursor to an attack on the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,624 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Why would NATO member states want to base aircraft in Ireland? Of what tactical or strategic benefit would it be for NATO?

There are 29 NATO member states; the US maintains air bases in five of them. (Six, if we count the US itself.) Currently the UK has air bases in only one other NATO member state - the US. So foreign air bases don't come as standard with NATO membership. And I can't see any obvious reason why, if we were to join NATO, anyone would be interested in establishing an airbase here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Currently the UK has air bases in only one other NATO member state - the US.

Where is that?

tac

There are RAF squadrons based at Edwards Air Base in California, and Creech Air Base in Nevada.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Peregrinus wrote: »
    There are RAF squadrons based at Edwards Air Base in California, and Creech Air Base in Nevada.

Yeah, in Creech for Reaper UAV's, no actual aircraft. And only doing the testing/evaluation of the F35 at Edwards.

Psychlops wrote: »
    Yeah, in Creech for Reaper UAV's, no actual aircraft. And only doing the testing/evaluation of the F35 at Edwards.
    They say they're only doing testing/evaluation at Edwards . . . !

[Cue conspiracy theory music.]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

The fact is...spending is less than has been suggested. Only .3 %. Morale is at an all time low in the air corps. The navy has had a decent boost of late. Time to but the lads some decent aircraft. I suggest the relatively inexpensive Scorpion as an interim solution. The reason the government killed off the jets is because all the lads who knew how to fly a jet were poached by Ryanair. Give them a decent pay rise as well. The poor fellas are embarrassed every summer when they host the international air forces for the Bray Air Show. And all they can show their peers are a couple of auld trainers. And I'm not talking about shoes here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I suggest the relatively inexpensive Scorpion as an interim solution. The reason the government killed off the jets is because all the lads who knew how to fly a jet were poached by Ryanair. Give them a decent pay rise as well. The poor fellas are embarrassed every summer when they host the international air forces for the Bray Air Show. And all they can show their peers are a couple of auld trainers. And I'm not talking about shoes here.

So you want us to go down the rabbit hole of yet again buying an unproven/untested airframe & to be a potential launch customer of the Scorpion?? The PC9M is no "auld trainer" as you so nicely put it. But I agree with you that we need more.

Why don't we just go after the Hawk T2 the newer upgraded version of the BAe Hawk, its a proven aircraft and is sidewinder equipped, that's more than enough. We could also engage more this way with the RAF by sending out guys to train at RAF Valley as they have the Hawk T2 there for fast jet training.

Why do we have to be buying aircraft as a launch customer, let a different Air Force do that and work out the bugs.

The trouble about them Hawks is that they are bloody expensive...and getting a bit long in the tooth!

• Advertisement

Psychlops wrote: »
    So you want us to go down the rabbit hole of yet again buying an unproven/untested airframe & to be a potential launch customer of the Scorpion?? The PC9M is no "auld trainer" as you so nicely put it. But I agree with you that we need more.

Why don't we just go after the Hawk T2 the newer upgraded version of the BAe Hawk, its a proven aircraft and is sidewinder equipped, that's more than enough. We could also engage more this way with the RAF by sending out guys to train at RAF Valley as they have the Hawk T2 there for fast jet training.

Why do we have to be buying aircraft as a launch customer, let a different Air Force do that and work out the bugs.

I would say don't feed the Troll based on some of his other posts.

As to aircraft, I'd agree that the AC should NEVER go with a Launch customer position ever again (and anyone suggesting it be kept from procurement), the Hawks however I think would struggle for anything West Coast (ie Bear issues) though could handle air policing for international visits. When you look at the deal some of the Eastern Nations have got with the Gripen Leases it's not impossible money we're talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

'If it flies, it dies', the motto of the Air Defence Regiment according to a family member.

Totally confident in our capabilities!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

For less than 100 million we could get 5 brand new Aermacchi M-346 twin engine, trans-sonic, fighter trainers. Able to climb as high as any airliner, a range of over 2,000 km and a proven, modern and reliable airframe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

Fann Linn wrote: »
    'If it flies, it dies', the motto of the Air Defence Regiment according to a family member.

Totally confident in our capabilities!!

Actually, "What flies, dies" was the motto of 1ADR, prior to disbandment of the reserve batteries and the permanent batteries being absorbed by the Brigade Artillery Regiments in 2013.

I'm a former member of 3AD Bty myself.

I like the look of the Italian aircraft. Pretty sure I saw this one being demonstrated at Farnborough a good few years ago. Near vertical rate of climb! Have more confidence in this machine now that Jonny Italian is building it as the Soviet bloc versions suffered from very poor build quality. Why not have 6 or 8 instead of 5? Packs a punch! Just the ticket for chasing away the Russian bear if they're spotted near the Aran Islands.

I think the fact the pensions and wages take up so much of their budget that we haven't a hope in hell of ever getting jets.
    Can't understand the point of having rotary aircraft but there you go.

For less than 100 million we could get 5 brand new Aermacchi M-346 twin engine, trans-sonic, fighter trainers. Able to climb as high as any airliner, a range of over 2,000 km and a proven, modern and reliable airframe.

They aren't Trans sonic, the top speed is only 572 knots and is that with a clean wing or not? Same question for it's range figures. 5 wouldn't be any use for any form of Air Intercept given availability numbers...

Well. It sure would be a hell of an improvement on the present set up. One step at a time as the economy builds up.

And I take your point re availability. Hence my suggestion of 6 to 8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

From Flight Global magazine in 2009:

"Alenia Aermacchi's M-346"Master" advanced jet/lead-in fighter trainer has made its first supersonic flight, reaching Mach 1.15 (675kt/1,250km/h) at 45,000ft (13,700m) during an 18 December test flight."

Able to achieve supersonic flight without afterburner thus reducing maintenance costs. Top speed limited to Mach 1.2.

Advertisement