Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinks Wich Trivilly anoy u.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Fella's on you tube that scare their poor kitties with horse heads :eek:

Also Android studio........the layout of my app was all messed up when I was testing it, it took ages for the emulator to load! took ages for it too close, you mother F**#@# :mad:!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

The new Bank of Ireland banner that pops up when I open boards - the motion makes me dizzy every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I am not afraid of needles, I am not afraid of needles....... Not really working, this self hypnosis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

madmaggie wrote: »
    I am not afraid of needles, I am not afraid of needles....... Not really working, this self hypnosis.

Change tack ,
    say Yes I am afraid of needles but actually I can stand the tiny pinch and then it will be over and I will be proud of myself . I am stronger than one mean sharp nasty little needle anyway

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Word of advice. Never walk past Holles Street. Lived up that way for a while and it was rare not to see a heavily pregnant girl puffing away outside the main door.

While Mrs Bap was in the process of getting ready to squeeze out our first offspring, I had a smoke outside Holles St. I was chatting with a woman who was having contractions and should have really been breathing and pushing, instead she was having a johnny blue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    While Mrs Bap was in the process of getting ready to squeeze out our first offspring, I had a smoke outside Holles St. I was chatting with a woman who was having contractions and should have really been breathing and pushing, instead she was having a johnny blue.

When we were in the 'pre-birth' ward the smoke alarm in the toilets went off. Some wan having a sneaky smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

This black hole I'm in seems to be permanent. I suppose I should start doing a bit of decorating.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Start with a couple of potted plants. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,805 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Desk side sleepy
    Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    This black hole I'm in seems to be permanent. I suppose I should start doing a bit of decorating.

Stay strong, you'll come out the other side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Chin up, Cleopatra_, things will get better.

The woman in front of me in the supermarket queue was eating raspberries straight from the punnet whilst chatting to the cashier. This enraged me for no good reason at all.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Cleopatra_ wrote: »

Have you considered filing a bath with Flips and jumping in?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Can't believe you were smoking in front of a pregnant woman. Shame on you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭Harleen Quinzel

Also E3, developers that show there games but the release is waaaaaaaaayyyy off or no release date in sight and the finished product is not the same as they showed in the original trailer.

I’m looking at you CD Projekt Red. Waiting forever for Cyberpunk 2077 :mad:

Sly Comreg-sanctioned premium rate numbers which look like regional Irish numbers are at the top of the list today.

So, given previous experience with Nightline's premium rate service which they never answered (but charged me for), I make a point of avoiding 1890, 1800 and all similar numbers (actually, I always have made a point: Nightline had no alternative number).

Today, I googled for the NDLS number to see if I've any penalty points (insurance renewal time) and if so what date they expire. I get this: To find out how many penalty points are on your driving licence record, contact the National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) at 076 108 7880 or email info@ndls.ie, and quote your driving licence number.

So, being aware that 071 numbers are Sligo/Leitrim and 074 numbers are Donegal, I assume 076 numbers are somewhere around there so I ring it.

It's far from it: 076 numbers are yet another reincarnation of government-sponsored premium rate calls. And very fúcking sly of Comreg to authorise such regional-looking numbers as premium numbers.

During the call - i.e. when I've already incurred extra cost - NDLS mention for the first time that it's a premium rate number. After the call, I went to the NDLS website, this is what's on the 'Contact' page:
    National Driver Licence Service Po Box 858
    Southside Delivery Office
    Cork
    •Phone +353 (0) 761 087 880

First, Cork city is 021 as far as I'm aware. Second, I don't see either an 021 alternative number or a warning there about it being a premium rate line. How is this legal? In an era when most of us have phone bundles and these numbers cost us extra, these so-called "lo-call numbers" really are a state-sponsored racket.

Here's the lo-down on 076 numbers from the excellent Say No to 1890 numbers: 076 numbers website (thanks to New Home for the link):
    What are 076 numbers? What’s the cost implications of calling 076 numbers?

.... I’m not sure it’s a “scam” as such, but 076 numbers are now an issue for mobile phone users in the same way as 1890, 1850 and 0818 numbers are. The costs are upwards on 30c per minute, but more particularly calls to 076 numbers are in most cases not deducted from minute bundles on mobile phone contracts. This is despite the fact that the introduction by such government departments was intended to reduce call costs for customers.

While there are a number of organisations who do provide an 076 contact number, it was likely when the Water Conservation Grant Section provided one last year that most people encountered an 076 number for the first time.

What is an 076 Number?

076 is the prefix originally by designated by COMREG for use when calling VOIP phones. VOIP, or Voice over Internet Protocol is effectively making telephone calls over the internet. You don’t have to be on the internet yourself when you’re calling a VOIP 076 number – you can call from any regular landline or mobile phone. And these days, you don’t necessarily need to be dialling an 076 number to call someone who’s using a VOIP service.

The key thing here is that given the distinction made by COMREG for the 076 numbers, mobile phone companies are using the number as a loophole (similar to 1890, 1850 and 0818 numbers) to boost their earnings.

In most cases, you’ll see companies who use 076 numbers explaining that calling such a number will cost the same as a local call. In the same way that providers of 1890 LoCall numbers will say the same thing.

The key difference here, and what’s being left out, is “from an Eir(com) landline”. That’s how costs for 1890 numbers originated, and it’s now how 076 numbers are being priced.

Mobiles Are Different (as usual)

But as we all know, similar to calling an 1890 number from your mobile, you’re most likely charged the equivalent of a mobile to mobile call. And what’s of more pain and inconvenience, in most cases, calls to 076 numbers are not deducted from your minutes bundles on your mobile phone contract.

The mobile provider 48 is the most expensive for calling an 076 number, at 50c per minute. The cheapest that I can work out is with Meteor (either Pre-Pay or Bill-Pay). In both those cases, the cost is flagged as the same as their normal minute rate, which is 15c per minute. Similarly, Vodafone Pre-Pay and Bill-Pay price plans indicates that it’s the same cost as a normal call on a mobile to call an 076 number. Neither Meteor nor Vodafone deduct 076 minutes from your free minutes bundles.

As I’m sure you’re aware, it’s not always easy to find out this information given the variety of phone packages, and phone costs, and peak and off-peak – you’d almost think that your mobile provider didn’t want you to know. In fact, there is no information anywhere for any of the Three Mobile plans on how much it is to call 076 numbers.

Finally, Tesco Mobile will charge you 30c per minute to call an 076 number – on the more expensive end of the scale. But, but, on a more positive twist, they’re the only company to deduct 076 minutes from their free minutes bundles on Pre-Pay and Bill-Pay contracts.

What to do?

Basically we need to treat 076 numbers the same as 1890, 1850 and 0818 numbers. That is, as much as possible, we need to hunt down and share geographic alternatives for 076 numbers.

But that’s easier said than done. I’ve today contacted these 4 government organisations who provide ONLY 076 numbers on their contact pages on their websites. The don’t provide any geographic alternatives, and they’re the most popular organisations for people to be contacting me here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

New Home wrote:
    Start with a couple of pot plants.

FYP :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Black bags for the bin, that you need the eyes of a hawk to see where you rip them.
    And even then you need good teeth.

Fake drawstrings on the waistbands of kid's clothing. The youngest is such a little slip of a thing that I really need drawstrings that work:(
    Any day I tell myself that I am not using the car I seem to end up making multiple trips. To benefit others for the most part :(

I’m looking at you CD Projekt Red. Waiting forever for Cyberpunk 2077 :mad:

Amen sister........at least another two years out, it was announced at e3 2012 :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Co workers one hung up the phone on me when I was trying to help him on a issue and tell him what has happened so far what could be done to fix it.

He told me I am taking his work (I am not), I was following the rules that were in place and trying to help him to fix the issue.

He also said I have no right to tell them what to do. I do that's what makes it worse and I have been fighting for months that this dept is a offset of there dept but I am the emea lead and they won't respect me.

3 years working in IT I never have had someone hang up the phone on me when trying to help them.

I am upset and angry

TA that I am too easily led astray!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Vitriolic vegan bashing :mad:

Eating salty nuts and wanting a cold beer but realizing I am at work so that might be frowned on.

Anyone who makes small talk in the canteen. Yesterday someone actually said, as they leaned into the fruit bowl, "oh an apple a day keeps the doctor away!" - I nearly fell out of my f*cking standing with anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

spent j lot of time last night preparing a chicken casserole for today's dinner. put it into the slow cooker overnight. it was truly awful. the vegetables were like rocks.

already had a very tiring day in work and could really do with some air to clear my head but it's pouring rain and I have to stay put.
    Also one of my colleagues giving me the silent treatment because another one did something she didn't like and I don't have the authority to fix it. she's still chatting away though to the person who annoyed her and to the person who can fix it but it seems she's taking it out on me. really trivially annoyed this evening - and it's the first day back at work after my annual holiday with a long summer of other people's moods to contend with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,507 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Peeled a particularly juicy orange forgetting about having a cut on my thumb.

Owwie. Feels like I have stood on a plug made out of lego and nettles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭DunnoKidz

clicking the x on a boards advert banner and reporting it as not interested, offensive, seen too many times... and google saying they won't show it anymore, then they immediately (and repeatedly) show it.

TA I keep forgetting who I am after my recent change of username, I had the same name for 9 years. I keep thinking who is this Rubberlegs wan :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

Rubberlegs wrote: »
    TA I keep forgetting who I am after my recent change of username, I had the same name for 9 years. I keep thinking who is this Rubberlegs wan :)

Why would anyone want to change their name? That's weird!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Sly Comreg-sanctioned premium rate numbers which look like regional Irish numbers are at the top of the list today.

So, given previous experience with Nightline's premium rate service which they never answered (but charged me for), I make a point of avoiding 1890, 1800 and all similar numbers (actually, I always have made a point: Nightline had no alternative number).

Today, I googled for the NDLS number to see if I've any penalty points (insurance renewal time) and if so what date they expire. I get this: To find out how many penalty points are on your driving licence record, contact the National Driver Licence Service (NDLS) at 076 108 7880 or email info@ndls.ie, and quote your driving licence number.

So, being aware that 071 numbers are Sligo/Leitrim and 074 numbers are Donegal, I assume 076 numbers are somewhere around there so I ring it.

It's far from it: 076 numbers are yet another reincarnation of government-sponsored premium rate calls. And very fúcking sly of Comreg to authorise such regional-looking numbers as premium numbers.

During the call - i.e. when I've already incurred extra cost - NDLS mention for the first time that it's a premium rate number. After the call, I went to the NDLS website, this is what's on the 'Contact' page: .

First, Cork city is 021 as far as I'm aware. Second, I don't see either an 021 alternative number or a warning there about it being a premium rate line. How is this legal? In an era when most of us have phone bundles and these numbers cost us extra, these so-called "lo-call numbers" really are a state-sponsored racket.

Here's the lo-down on 076 numbers from the excellent Say No to 1890 numbers: 076 numbers website (thanks to New Home for the link):

I may be mistaken, but the prefix is 0761 as opposed just 076. I know a lot of government agencies are 0761 numbers these days :rolleyes:

Got used to fine summery evenings in the garden now back to windy rainy evening in Dublin tonight . Bah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Just opened a packet of ginger nut biscuits to have with a cuppa and someone must have let the packet fall cause the biscuits are in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    I may be mistaken, but the prefix is 0761 as opposed just 076. I know a lot of government agencies are 0761 numbers these days :rolleyes:

As are county councils. Not sure that they are premium rate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Work instant messenger like Slack or Skype.

Worker: Hey/Hi

Me: <Don't make me reply with hey you bastard...type the ****ing message>

Me: <... type the message!!!!!>

Me: < gives in>...hey

Worker: can you send me x/y/z

Me: < you bastard, why couldn't you have just said that! >

Me: Sure... attached.

Just send the message with the "hey"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

jon1981 wrote: »
    Work instant messenger like Slack or Skype.

Worker: Hey/Hi

Me: <Don't make me reply with hey you bastard...type the ****ing message>

Me: <... type the message!!!!!>

Me: < gives in>...hey

Worker: can you send me x/y/z

Me: < you bastard, why couldn't you have just said that! >

Me: Sure... attached.

Just send the message with the "hey"

<types for 5 minutes>
    <waits>
    <types for 10 minutes>
    <waits>
    > ok

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I was woken up suddenly this morning, 15 minutes before my alarm went off, by a door slamming in the house because of the wind. I fucking hate being woken up before my alarm goes off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,730 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

On a flight out of Dublin,

Already 45 minutes late.

Next in line for departure

Leaves queue because we missed our landing slot and have to sit around for another 30 minutes

F*****g Infuriating.

Edit: they also have the AC on FULL BLAST!!!
    It’s like a bloody fridge!!

F**k sake chaps, were not in Spain yet!!!

Shopping.

1. Trolleys: Have you ever tried to balance the weight in a shopping trolley and the weight of a baby sitting in it on even the slightest of elevations as you try to unload it? Years ago they used to have a little brake you had the option of pressing. It was very useful - although no doubt infuriating to the amadáin who kept pressing it by accident. Now, it has been removed from every Tesco trolley I come across and the Apartheid lovers don't have them on their trolleys either.

Add a windy day to the mix, like the one that's in it today, and it's abject lunacy for there not to be a standard option for a brake on all these trolleys. If people don't want it, they don't have to use it but for safety reasons the supermarkets should be compelled by law to have the option there as they'll keep scrimping on spending the money until the law, or a successful legal case, forces them to.

2. Baby and parent parking spaces:
    Loads of places still do not have them; the otherwise decent (i.e. unlike Dundrum or Blackrock they don't charge for parking) Stillorgan Shopping Centre springs to mind. Leaving aside the trolley that's rolling away from you, how are we supposed to open doors fully and squeeze little babies into their seats and strap them in safely when cars next to you more often than not do not leave the necessary space (i.e. the door must open fully) for this? Everything on a shopping trip cannot be put in the boot so perhaps remove singletons/fathers or mothers who do not go shopping with their kids from the design process if they can't appreciate this! That space between cars matters. Are we supposed to put the baby on our knees, drive the car forward into the middle of the road in the car park, stop right there and then get out and put the baby into the seat? Yes, I've done this several times and people throw daggers at you, but there's no other option because the people who design car parks in shopping centres have no planning legislation to abide by and are just trying to squeeze as many spaces as possible in without consideration for differences. Regulate that "free market" please!

3. Inconsiderate parking: People who lack the basic consideration to park their cars within their allocated spaces. At this stage it's ignorance far more than ability. Yes, some of them simply cannot park their ridiculous SUV and maybe there should be a special parking test for those people but the point is that with effort they could learn to park. I would be delighted if they started clamping people who, when car parks are full, take up two car park spaces with one abysmally parked car. Those people really, really, really are ignorant fúckers.

TLDR: Inconsiderate people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

On a flight out of Dublin,

F**k sake chaps, were not in Spain yet!!!

TA'ed that now that I am at Andy's home while he's on a flight to Spain, that the quality of his possessions wasn't worth the 'visit' in the first place.
    But I'll take the cash ..................... and the porn.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I was waiting to be served in the shop and a big ignorant farmer looking fecker literally barged me over out of the way so he could get served first.
    What really annoys me is that I was to chicken to say anything to him at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

My car which was reasonably clean is covered in little bits of leaves and stuff off trees after the wind last night. You'd swear I was after driving through the middle of a wood, fecks sake!

Seven Worlds will Collide

Sweet pea grown from seed , minded and watered like babies , planted out last week . Hector arrived and battered them and they are lieing down in a little sad heap now

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Sweet pea grown from seed , minded and watered like babies , planted out last week . Hector arrived and battered them and they are lieing down in a little sad heap now

Luckily our fledgling pods survived, as did the strawberries. But some of the plants got destroyed when the kayak blew on them and broke the stems.
    Pesky nature.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I'm TA'd at my own stupidity; I thought Hector was a little nephew of yours or something when I read this :rolleyes:

I have loads to do today, including making a meringue cake and a regular cake and decorating both.
    All I want to do is sit and drink tea.
    TA at all the effort and my lack of energy.

I'm TA'd at my own stupidity; I thought Hector was a little nephew of yours or something when I read this :rolleyes:

I would be very very TA'd if I actually had a nephew called Hector !!!:p

I was drinking a coffee and seen something funny...I actually did spit coffee all over my computer screen, keyboard, desk, printer, floor and cat.

Every time I step out of the house there has to be one of the neighbours out there. My jaws are aching from polite hellos and small talk. Seriously who finds it necessary to be in their front garden so bloody much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Re: the debris on my car from the wind, I decided to rinse with a hose - now the car is reasonable but the bottom of the legs of my jeans and my shoes are soaked.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its hard to dress for the weather sometimes.

Jacket off because it was humid
    Sunglasses because of the glare
    Umbrella because its raining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I had to drop someone to a clinic appointment and told them I’d wait outside the door in the car as it was only an in and out type of job. When she got inside she text me and said there’ll be delays as there’s a lot of people waiting. I told her I’d drive home and come back, because my car has no air con and I was melting waiting, plus I was starving and wanted my lunch. I’m only about fifteen minute drive away but there was traffic, so by the time I got home I thought there’s hardly any point in making my lunch, as I just know when I’m sitting down to eat it she’ll text and say she’s ready.
    20 minutes passed and I thought feck this, there’s obviously massive delays, I’m ravenous so I’ll make something to eat.
    I just sat down to eat and checked my phone, have a text saying she’s ready now can I come get her. Whyyyyy.

The old place is long overdue a spring clean. I feel like I could be buried in an avalanche of kipple at any moment.
    It's time to dig out the hoover, rubber gloves and rags and tell the current Mrs Tin to get her ass in gear ;)

I haven’t had a cup of tea all day :(

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement