Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinks Wich Trivilly anoy u.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

GoneHome wrote: »
    I work with a few people from Kerry, these would be people in their 30s and 40s, they all refer to their mother as Mom

Yes . Its not a new thing at all . They also call the granny Mamó , pronounced Momó

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Yes . Its not a new thing at all . They also call the granny Mamó , pronounced Momó

I never heard that now but the people I work with their granny's have probably passed away so it would never come up, I know a few people from North Cork near the Kerry border and they also refer to their mother's as Mom and it's no way an American thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,159 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I never heard that now but the people I work with their granny's have probably passed away so it would never come up, I know a few people from North Cork near the Kerry border and they also refer to their mother's as Mom and it's no way an American thing

I presume it stems from the Irish " mo mhamaí " pronounced momaí in Cork and Kerry

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    I presume it stems from the Irish " mo mhamaí " pronounced momaí in Cork and Kerry

Yes I would think that's the origins of it, it's actually nice, I have first cousins in Kanturk which would be near enough the Cork/Kerry border and they would always enquire of me "how's your Mom" when asking about my mother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

I'm from Cork and my mother is from Kerry. Herself and her sisters/brothers would have always said 'mom', so in turn myself, my brothers and all the cousins have always said 'mom' too.

I never realised there was anything strange about it until I was in college and got ferocious abuse from my housemates about it.

I'm from Cork and my mother is from Kerry. Herself and her sisters/brothers would have always said 'mom', so in turn myself, my brothers and all the cousins have always said 'mom' too.

I never realised there was anything strange about it until I was in college and got ferocious abuse from my housemates about it.

Yes it's definitely a Kerry/North Cork thing, I was thinking did it stem from all the emigration back there throughout the years, when they came back from America

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

People who can’t cook but who insist on doing the cooking and then looking a bit hurt when we don’t lick the plate clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

Try_harder wrote: »
    ‪Someone is now playing Irish County Music out loud on this train!!! Tf for headphones and Spotify ‬

I don't mind a bit of Irish counterdoddy music. And I'm from the Pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

everlast75 wrote: »
    More annoying than ""trivial" but still... fly tipping. Drove by a green near parents and there were a few black bags of rubbish in the centre.

To make matters worse, there was recycling stuff in there.

Lazy and ignorant

We live on a very busy main road and have a very long driveway, which we can't fully see from the house. We have a really bad problem with people pulling in and dumping their rubbish in behind the trees which run along our driveway. I'm talking about large black bags of rubbish, once there was the packaging off some IKEA furniture dumped down there. We contact the council every time it happens, they come and take away the rubbish and inspect for any identifying information.
    Fly tipping is so vile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,647 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Bredabe wrote: »
    When I contact a service on fb, after back and forth they say, it will be on my page when I have it in/a vacancy!
    I wish I could have pawned off the presales work like that when I was self-employed or working in sales!

I despise talking on the phone. I tried to contact a hairdresser last week through FB. Their page said 'message us to make an appointment' so I did. They replied with, 'sure no problem just call the salon and we'll get that booked in for you'. When I said 'Oh I thought you could book through this' she said no, you have to call the salon. :rolleyes:
    Where's that new siri thing that calls people for you when you need it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Finally took the plunge and joined tinder for the first time since my break up a few months ago.
    The first profile suggested was my ex's best friend. The next offered was my brother.
    I was starting to lose hope, but continued swiping, hoping for the best, until I came across my leaving cert maths teacher.
    I have now deleted tinder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

Yes it's definitely a Kerry/North Cork thing, I was thinking did it stem from all the emigration back there throughout the years, when they came back from America

I'm from Cork and I was also raised to say "mom", as were my cousins and friends. I get some weird looks too when I say mom instead of mam, especially when I lived in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Finally took the plunge and joined tinder for the first time since my break up a few months ago.
    The first profile suggested was my ex's best friend. The next offered was my brother.
    I was starting to lose hope, but continued swiping, hoping for the best, until I came across my leaving cert maths teacher.

So the date went well then ??? :D:D:D

(Sorry, will now go and say ten Hail Mary's and think about what I did!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Ppl who look blank when I use shorthand they hear every day in THEIR JOBS.
    When I was leaving the shopping trolley back yes, I was asked if I had a euro, I gave them the one from the trolley, they returned it in 2x50c coins!
    Websites that depend on links that don't work to access important info/equipment.
    That's it's a bank hol tue and everyone I have phoned up to now, has been tired and I'll bet ultimately useless. Other ppl asking cheerily if I had a good bank hol when they know I was working.
    Why do ppl with the most incomprehensible logic or accent insist on talking to me!!!!
    My possible overuse of commas.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

When I was leaving the shopping trolley back yes, I was asked if I had a euro, I gave them the one from the trolley, they returned it in 2x50c coins!

Sorry but I don't get it, why would this be annoying?

• Advertisement

New Home wrote: »

It's nice to keep the euro for the trolley - I know a few people who have the same coin for years!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I see, but why else would someone ask you for a Euro when getting a trolley?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

All that coinage

TonyMcGregor_large.jpg?width=600&s=bn-857046

I gave then the euro out of the trolley, so I would hope they copped on that it's my trolley euro and gave it back in the same domination as it was given. Because the banks are messing about with change services it can be hard to get single euro coins there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I gave then the euro out of the trolley, so I would hope they copped on that it's my trolley euro and gave it back in the same domination as it was given. Because the banks are messing about with change services it can be hard to get single euro coins there.
    I still don't get it...wouldn't you have had to wait for them to finish their shopping to get your euro back?

• Advertisement

So was this someone you knew, then? I mean, if they had had a Euro for the trolley already they wouldn't have asked you for one. I know the coin is handy to have for that, but why would you give it to them if it was your trolley coin and you didn't know them? I'm still lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Old hector is currently studying for his finals and thought that it would be a good idea to go to the local library to do a few hours study.

He was getting some good work done.

I've noticed that some mothers think it is a good idea to bring little Johnny into the library while he is screaming his stones off.

So was this someone you knew, then? I mean, if they had had a Euro for the trolley already they wouldn't have asked you for one. I know the coin is handy to have for that, but why would you give it to them if it was your trolley coin and you didn't know them? I'm still lost.

Yes, it was someone I knew, who knew that Im forced by work timetables to shop at all hours where changed may not be available, that's why it was so annoying that when they paid it back(they only need it for a short while) they were too lazy to find the domination I gave it in.

I would not give money to a stranger given the above circumstances.

Old hector is currently studying for his finals and thought that it would be a good idea to go to the local library to do a few hours study.

He was getting some good work done.

I've noticed that some mothers think it is a good idea to bring little Johnny into the library while he is screaming his stones off.

Couple of weeks before the Leaving Cert I was dropping some books back to the Library. Three or four very serious students with their heads in Chemistry books.

Kid starts screaming like a banshee on acid, takes the mother a good minute or two to get off her phone and even do anything - and her response is to wheel the brat NEARER the students and ask "Darcey why don't you choose a nice book ?" - they weren't even in the kids' bit - she went there to use the phone!!!!

If you breed - PARENT THE DAMN THING!!!!!

Ah ok, so it was a loan of your coin rather than exchanging coins for someone. Ok, now it makes sense. Like lending someone one of your good books to read and getting it back in tatters.

Edit: you need to get yourself one of these.
    cat-trolley-coin-keyring.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,171 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

people, predominantly males in their late teens, or twenties, who drive around in a car worth about 1000e including the alloys, with exhaust systems that try in vain to make them sound like a race car

Being told "you don't have kids, you don't understand".

Fcks sake!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

The dopes who spent too much time watching silly american TV shows who call their child "buddy" in public.

"What's up buddy?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

I would have thought, outside Dublin, that Tindr is not suitable for Irish towns and cities because they are too small.
    Basically everyone knowing your business and the same people riding each other in rotation?

Ah ok, so it was a loan of your coin rather than exchanging coins for someone. Ok, now it makes sense. Like lending someone one of your good books to read and getting it back in tatters.

Edit: you need to get yourself one of these.
    cat-trolley-coin-keyring.jpg

Exactly,
    Oddly while I don't routinely lose my trolley euro's, those trolley coins walk off my keyring.

I suspect the newly moved and broke youngsters for the trolley token theft.

cute kittie tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

everlast75 wrote: »
    people, predominantly males in their late teens, or twenties, who drive around in a car worth about 1000e including the alloys, with exhaust systems that try in vain to make them sound like a race car

And the turbo lag/dump valve that lets off the PISSSST between gear change,:cool:
    (only needed furry dice and go faster stripes in my day :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,753 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

selous wrote: »
    And the turbo lag/dump valve that lets off the PISSSST between gear change,:cool:

Aaah Jaysus..... go back to the early 2000s.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

Aaah Jaysus..... go back to the early 2000s.

Or a little before??:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,922 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

SusieBlue wrote:
    I was starting to lose hope, but continued swiping, hoping for the best, until I came across my leaving cert maths teacher. I have now deleted tinder.

My Leaving Cert Irish teacher was a big ridey ride, I'd be delighted if I saw him on Tinder!

Ah, Peadar. Many's the class I spent having entirely inappropriate thoughts about him.

(In my defence, he was only about 22.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Watching bake off from day one on Netflix at the moment. Have got to season four and one of the contestants is trivially annoying me every time I see them on the screen.... Contemplating just skipping to season 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

The plural of 'craft' as in spacecraft or aircraft is just craft. Not crafts.

"Many alien spacecraft" not "Many alien spacecrafts"

I expected better from UFO watchers...

How do you explain the "Arts and Crafts movement", then? Oh, right, it's those pesky aliens again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭somefeen

How do you explain the "Arts and Crafts movement", then? Oh, right, it's those pesky aliens again.

Yes.

Crafts is right when your talking about arts and crafts. The government made the two uses of the word craft similar except for the plural usage so that UFO seekers would confuse the two and irritate others so they wouldn't listen to their theories

If it hadn't been for those pesky aliens...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Belle E. Flops

Being so bloody socially awkward.

I was mid power-walk yesterday when I bumped into a woman that I barely know but I had to stop and talk to her. Everything was going grand, making small talk and chatting about a wedding I'm going to in a couple of weeks.
    Then as we were leaving she said 'Enjoy the wedding', and I said 'You too'.

FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

giggidy!

Twitter is ta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

selous wrote: »

I've seen lads post pictures of their cars on instagram with a caption along the lines of "if she don't coo, she won't do" :p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The crying laughing emoji.
    It may be slightly humorous but it isn't crying laughing funny.
    Putting 4 of them in a line makes my annoyance worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

Teenagers. Not all of them, just my own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Trying to explain to an Italian barber what style haircut to give the young fella proved to be an impossible task...the kid now looks like something from ‘stand by me’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

I am still awake ..
    Is it too early for breakfast ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Time to get up.

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    I am still awake ..
    Is it too early for breakfast ?

Never too early for breakfast mam..,..what are we having :pac:?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

Way too tired today. Need lots of sleep

Idiots who don't know their f***ing job!!!!!

Complained AGAIN about the idiot riding his bike through the station - convinced now it's someone's kid or relative.

Told the Irish Rail dude that bikes weren't allowed on commuter trains before 10am - he goes "that's not right".

Yes it is, it's on your website, and app, and Twitter coverage told me and there's a poster right there - points - saying it.

"Well, I don't usually work mornings".

Fyoooooooming!!!!!!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement