Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinks Wich Trivilly anoy u.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

I can't see any posts from Captain Midnight in YLYL. I see loads of thanks but no pictures. Wah :(

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

More antibiotics. Doc has suggested surgery which will involve breaking some facial bones. Not impressed.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Got caught in a snow shower and now I look like the yeti man :mad: serves me right for going out without a jacket :3.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Driving into Shop there, went to back into a space and some ar$ehead parked beside that had their wheel in space I was backing into. :rolleyes:. Drove down another bit went to pull into another space same thing again some Muppet taking up 2 spaces. :mad::mad: That's 2 extra spaces for other cars that 2 imbeciles are taking up like. I don't know if they just couldn't be bothered parking properly or aren't able to park in 1 space like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

People not closing doors as they leave, annoys me at any time, but especially in this weather. Are they lazy or just too stupid.

Invisible users. :(

This ar$ing sh1tty weather. Am sick to the teeth of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I can't see any posts from Captain Midnight in YLYL. I see loads of thanks but no pictures. Wah :(

Me either :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Getting a puncture on the bike miles from home. A long walk of shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

My hun bun is so high on my head I can’t prop my glasses on top of my head. Saaaaake

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Rogueish

I like Gin. Not the fishbowl sort with a floating fruit salad and a separate 'menu' of tonics. Just gin and tonic in a straight glass with ice, lemon and Schweppes tonic.

Anyhoo my imagination was caught and I decided for a valentines treat I'd like to try pink gin cocktail.... So a bottle of pink gin was purchased in great anticipation.

I'm just after opening the bottle and trying a sip. WTF it tastes like benylin cough syrup! I could have tried the same taste for about 6e or so never mind 20e for a bottle of pink gin!

I should have known better...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,265 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Rogueish wrote: »
    I like Gin. Not the fishbowl sort with a floating fruit salad and a separate 'menu' of tonics. Just gin and tonic in a straight glass with ice, lemon and Schweppes tonic.

Anyhoo my imagination was caught and I decided for a valentines treat I'd like to try pink gin cocktail.... So a bottle of pink gin was purchased in great anticipation.

I'm just after opening the bottle and trying a sip. WTF it tastes like benylin cough syrup! I could have tried the same taste for about 6e or so never mind 20e for a bottle of pink gin!

I should have known better...

Longtime gin drinker here, used to be slagged as a student for my posh (and expensive) taste. Now you can keep all your floating bits and goldfish bowl glasses. Sick of everyone pontificating on all the different kinds, especially the floral ones that taste like soap powder. Bombay and Schweppes with a slice of lemon, maybe lime if I want to mix things up :D
    Was in a bog standard hotel in a provincial town last week and they gave me a slice of cucumber! Gone are the days that a slice of lime would be considered exotic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭zcorpian88

fussyonion wrote: »
    I hear ya.
    My parents always ask me to do anything related to their computer and it gets on my t*ts.

They hadn't a clue about computers until 2013 when they bought their first laptop and I helped them set it up, installed anti-virus, set up email accounts, etc etc.
    Fast forward 5 years and they've learned NOTHING.

They won't even try to learn anything. They just rely on me to do it all.
    Their anti-virus? I still have to install it.
    Can't delete an email? I have to do it.

I got my first computer in 2002 and I hadn't a notion what I was doing.
    I learned though. I had to.
    Google is your best friend. Play around, you'll pick it up.

But my parents don't seem to WANT to learn. They're happy for me to do it all. I wouldn't mind but I don't live at home anymore so I often have to drop up to do whatever and I could be there hours.

And before someone comes on saying I'm a horrible daughter who resents spending time with her folks, I don't.
    I see them all the time and I love them to bits.

I just wish they'd learn to do things for themselves. It's not that they can't, it's that they won't.

My Dad brought the first computer into the house when I was 11 back in 1999, a Windows 98 Packard Bell model in the dial up days. Barely used the computer back then, maybe for homework and games and that would have been it, the internet was too slow and I didn't have the patience to sit in front of it, plus the mother was always giving out that she couldn't use the landline when the internet was running. It was mostly my Dad and older sister that used it, my Dad more or less destroyed that computer, I never went near it because if I did anything funny to it, there'd be hell to pay. There was always arguments if something went wrong with it so I steered clear for years.

Wasn't till we got broadband in 2006 that I started using the home computer a lot more but I already had my knowledge of computers through school, got my own computer then, have had a few laptops, actually going to build my own PC in the next few weeks hopefully, been putting money aside for it. Been wanting to do it for years but didn't have the cash.

Anyway, my parents have gotten older and they do all sorts of stupid s**t to their devices now, installing toolbars that come with programs they wanted, putting malware on it, making the devise slow as f**k with some dodgy install. Or firing stupid questions at me that if he used his head he'd be able to sort it himself. My dad has nearly 20 years experience using a computer and still he types with one hand/one finger.....which is infuriating to watch when I'm standing over him wanting to hurry up so I can get back to what I was doing before he called me down to fix the f**king yoke.

The father seems happy with his drone now though, has had 3 great flights with it, can operate it quite well, needs to research these things before he buys them though, I might not always be around to put the firmware on it, or to make his recordings playable on his computer. I often tell him, Google is your friend and it's the best way to learn something off your own bat, rather than passing the book and learning nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

zscorpion, me and you should just go to the Moon or something; it's our only hope of escaping our parents.

It really baffles me how people don't think of using Google to learn.
    Like I said, when I got my first computer and hadn't a clue what I was doing, I didn't have people on hand to show me.

I didn't know how to copy and paste something so I asked Google and voila, I now knew.
    I don't get how people don't use this function to learn.
    Do you WANT to be dependent on someone else? I'd much rather learn for myself!

TA'd that I gave my Mother an old phone of mine the other day; hers is kaput and she doesn't want to buy one.

I spent a good half an hour with her going through the ins and outs, where her contacts were, how to text, where her photos were, etc etc and before I left, I asked if she was happy with it.
    She said "Yeah grand, it seems simple enough".

Today she rings me to say she doesn't know how to turn on her mobile data, she doesn't know how to get the dialpad up, she can't find her photos, Youtube has disappeared, her font is too small and the volume is too low.

So instead of GOOGLING how to fix these minor issues or simply play around with the settings til she found out, she's asked me to drop in tomorrow at some stage to help.
    I mean...........FOR FECK SAKE!!!!!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,800 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

My weekly Ta, Monday is coming

1yva9m.jpg

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I have a TA...watching a movie on Netflix tonight and the sound was awful. The music and sound effects were super loud while the talking was super quiet. I watched about a third of the film before giving up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

My weekly Ta, Monday is coming

1yva9m.jpg

:pac:

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

I have a TA...watching a movie on Netflix tonight and the sound was awful. The music and sound effects were super loud while the talking was super quiet. I watched about a third of the film before giving up.

that drives me mad. your struggling to hear the dialog but the action stuff and effects are set to awake the neighbours setting.
    I thought that only happened on tv . I assumed digital would have sorted this kind of incompetence

even more annoying is when your watching with someone and they are constantly turning it up and down to balance it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭dinneenp

That Gaeltacht towns don't have their names on signs in English as well. Why not? Coming off the motorway towards turloughmore sing says Baile Clair and doesn't have Claregalway as well. Some people might think realise it's Claregalway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,428 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

that drives me mad. your struggling to hear the dialog but the action stuff and effects are set to awake the neighbours setting.
    I thought that only happened on tv . I assumed digital would have sorted this kind of incompetence

even more annoying is when your watching with someone and they are constantly turning it up and down to balance it out.

The Audio menu on my TV has an option called Stable Sound. I read that it keeps the volume from suddenly increasing when the advertisements come on. Apparently the ads are louder to attract attention. There might be an option like that on other TV's. I remember another TV had different options for sound like Movie, Music and Speech. Something like that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

The Audio menu on my TV has an option called Stable Sound. I read that it keeps the volume from suddenly increasing when the advertisements come on. Apparently the ads are louder to attract attention. There might be an option like that on other TV's. I remember another TV had different options for sound like Movie, Music and Speech. Something like that anyway.

thanks il try that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Crisps. I cannot stand the smell of them in any shape or form. On that note, the shape of them also puts me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Finding sh1t to wash when you've drained the sink!

The school toilets that have feck all to wipe with, thanks to a legion of delinquents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

The guy on the Electric Ireland ad saying "smorter" instead of smarter. That's smorter living. How about you just fuck off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Poor night’s sleep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

The guy on the train beside me cracked his knuckles- I threw him some evil eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Try_harder wrote: »
    The guy on the train beside me cracked his knuckles- I threw him some evil eye

On another day, that might have been me...but I didn't crack my knuckles on the train this morning. :D

On the subject of trains, those canned announcements after every stop do my head in. "This is the <time> train from <start> to <end>...etc etc."..."Welcome aboard..."..."Don't take reserved seats"..."Don't put feet on seats.". Similar announcement approaching a stop, and of course, its all repeated again in Irish, so you end up with the impression that the guy never shuts up.

Leaving your headphones at home on the kitchen table is bad enough as it is...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

I share an office with an older gentleman who isn't the sharpest tool in the box, especially when it comes to anything IT related. For example, he was explaining to me how he got ripped off buying a scanner the other week as it didn't work. Turns out he was trying to plug a hard drive directly into the scanner and didn't realise that you need a computer between a scanner and a hard drive.

He got a new work pc the other week and has set the mouse sensitivity too low, so every couple of seconds lifts the mouse off the table and loudly drops it back down to move the cursor. It's especially irritating when I know all he's doing is playing solitaire. Unfortunately he goes into a sulk any time you suggest he might be doing something wrong, so you need to be tactful-pity he's thick so tact goes over his head.

Last week I asked if his mouse was working okay-yes, fine no problem. Right, that's a bit too subtle for him, so this morning I asked him if he might need a hand adjusting the mouse sensitivity. No, of course not, why? Well, I tell him, usually when you're lifting and dropping a mouse like that it means the sensitivity is too low for you. No, it's fine, BANG, BANG, BANG, BANG!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,647 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Last week in work the highest recorded temperature was 27.1 degrees so a colleague complained. The property management's response to that is to leave the heating off all weekend and only turn it on at 8am this morning. So it was 15 degrees in here when I came in this morning. It's crept up to 19 now but its still like a freezer in here. Why can't they just set the ****ing thing to 22/23 degrees and stop ****ing around with it?

Add to that the sockets in the kitchen aren't working and there's no running water in the building. How can we be expected to work in these conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

PEOPLE (IF YOU CAN EVEN CALL THEM THAT) WHO WALK AWAY FROM A BROKEN PHOTOCOPIER. THEY SHOULD BE PUT IN STOCKS IN THE TOWN SQUARE AND HAVE ROTTEN FISH DUMPED ON THEIR HEAD.

This morning, I went up to the photocopier to find it broken. No big surprise there. I had a go at fixing it but no joy so I walked back down to my office to get a pen and paper to write down the serial number to log a call. When I went back up to the photocopier there was a colleague standing there and I said to her that's broken and she said oh yeah, that happened when I was using it earlier. So I said oh you've probably logged a call already then and she looked at me blankly and said no, I didn't. I said to her oh right, were you coming down to do that now? And she looked at me blankly again and said no.
    WHERE DO THESE TERRIBLE "PEOPLE" COME FROM?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I've my NCT tomorrow and in my haste to be organised I remember getting my cert of ownership out last week but can't remember where I put it. Aaggh!

The fact that so many people fail to learn from past mistakes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Ok. Seriously now. When is Summer???????????????????????????? (or even Spring)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

northgirl wrote: »
    I've my NCT tomorrow and in my haste to be organised I remember getting my cert of ownership out last week but can't remember where I put it. Aaggh!

They don't always ask for it. Just make sure you have your licence. They could test it and then issue the cert once you've produced the vrt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

storker wrote: »
    Leaving your headphones at home on the kitchen table is bad enough as it is...

...with your phone charger beside them...aaarrggghhhhhh!!!

Monday, Bloody Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

He got a new work pc the other week and has set the mouse sensitivity too low, so every couple of seconds lifts the mouse off the table and loudly drops it back down to move the cursor. It's especially irritating when I know all he's doing is playing solitaire. Unfortunately he goes into a sulk any time you suggest he might be doing something wrong, so you need to be tactful-pity he's thick so tact goes over his head.

see there's two types of ignorant to me - nice ignorant thats willing to see their ignorance and work towards knowing better....then there's pig ignorant who insist they're in the right and won't be told otherwise, even when faced with fact. TA at the latter.
    fussyonion wrote: »
    zscorpion, me and you should just go to the Moon or something; it's our only hope of escaping our parents.

It really baffles me how people don't think of using Google to learn.
    Like I said, when I got my first computer and hadn't a clue what I was doing, I didn't have people on hand to show me.

TA at my diminishing patience for helping people with computers,especially when they're useless with them. It's not their fault, and I will give them my time,it's just you'd like them to go and learn in their spare time so they're not taking up yours. Had to run through website features with a someone recently even though we'd been using the site over a year. You'd swear they'd never seen it. Although they had dyslexia so that was a complication. Very unfamiliar with copy/paste, moving and saving documents, emails etc. Never labelled their saved files.

Bit as I said, I will help them every time as they are nice ignorant.

Robsweezie wrote: »
    TA at my diminishing patience for helping people with computers,especially when they're useless with them.

Computer literacy looks to be a problem in my school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Dozed off for a few minutes and was having a seriously good dream. Just as it was hitting it's peak...

*ring ring*

*ring ring*

Phone on the flipping tv woke me up :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I kept forgetting to take my pill and now I've gotten a random period. Fecksake.

• Advertisement

Mis-laid Phone. :mad: Not my current Phone! I actually have that which is probably surprising really that I havn't managed to mis-lay that too! I have mis-laid old Handset that I carry around 'cos I havn't finished transferring everything over to new Handset. :mad::mad::rolleyes::rolleyes::o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I kept forgetting to take my pill and now I've gotten a random period. Fecksake.

better than a random baby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Grayson wrote: »
    better than a random baby.

that is probably unlikely for LMB :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Bredabe

The person who can't put the dog harnesses on and askes me to do it in the evenings, who then puts the leads out.
    Means the dog thinks he is going out shortly and runs up and down stairs all night to check the leads haven't moved while he was asleep.
    Person still doing this, even tho he's been told not to and why.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

I get a bit tense around unleashed dogs, especially in wide open areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

At 11 am - my car reasonably clean, 1 pm after driving 100 km or so you'd swear I was ploughing with it. Feckin weather.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Crisps I had earlier are repeating on me.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Crisps I had earlier are repeating on me

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Posts from earlier repeating on me :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,282 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

People who take religion too seriously, pizza guy said "ready in 15 minutes inshallah", wife joked about it. After we got the pizza he followed me to the car to explain the importance of the word.

Wonder what he put in the pizza's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Lottie Ryan.

No matter how much she tries to dress it up or say she got the job on her own merit- shes only working in radio because of her father. End of. Pure nepotism. :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement