Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinks Wich Trivilly anoy u.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Jack Kanoff

quickbeam wrote: »
    But still, refillable glass or metal would surely be possible?

If you do it yourself, yes, my local SuperValu has a water dispenser where you can bring your own bityke and fill them for a portion of what you'd pay for off the shelf purchases.
    But it still won't work on a large scale as companies can't reuse plastic containers

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I meant to add, there are also dispensers for washing up liquid, softener, laundry detergent, shampoo, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

If you do it yourself, yes, my local SuperValu has a water dispenser where you can bring your own bityke and fill them for a portion of what you'd pay for off the shelf purchases.
    But it still won't work on a large scale as companies can't reuse plastic containers

I am confused ? Why fill it in Super Valu instead of from your own tap ?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Because it's not plain tap water, it's either mineral water or it's filtered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭trellheim

It's can be quite dangerous to do so.
    Cleaning of these plastics can lead to degradation of the material and harmful toxins released into the liquid.... there's a reason no drinks company in the world does this unfortunately

Theres a reason milk is pasteurized , and why it goes sour. Glass bottles reused ( ie the old way ) is much much better than tetrapak but is more costly to the dairy to run glass washers

The supermarket would be on extremely dodgy ground selling milk from a dispenser( no I'm not talking about that beside the coffee machine, but even that is under really strict HACCP washout guidelines for milk lines ) - apologies - back to TA

trellheim wrote: »
    Theres a reason milk is pasteurized , and why it goes sour. Glass bottles reused ( ie the old way ) is much much better than tetrapak but is more costly to the dairy to run glass washers

The supermarket would be on extremely dodgy ground selling milk from a dispenser( no I'm not talking about that beside the coffee machine, but even that is under really strict HACCP washout guidelines for milk lines ) - apologies - back to TA

Why would they be? Genuine question.

Anyway, the milk dispensers I've seen abroad, even in warm countries, weren't in supermarkets, they were in places like car parks by public buildings, and were like giant fridges housed in sheds, were managed by small, local dairy co-operatives, and had to comply with strict regulations.

and were like giant fridges housed in sheds, were managed by small, local dairy co-operatives, and had to comply with strict regulatiins.

Yes, indeed, and those strict regulations are why you don't see it here or in the UK , If I recall correctly you can only sell farm-fresh milk in the UK at the farm gate only.

Its not worth it to the supermarket , its not a good use of the supply chain ...

Anyway back on-topic

my ta :

9 calls to restaurants in Dublin to get a booking for tonight , wtf do I need two weeks in advance now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chite

But still, refillable glass or metal would surely be possible?

There's a health store nearby where glass bottles of milk from jersey cows is sold, and you bring back the bottles. Though the last time I was in the shop I didn't see them in the fridge so I'm not sure if that's still going.

There's also a farmer's market where you can BYOB and fill it with goat's milk or buy a 1 litre glass bottle to fill it (bit of an acquired taste for it, but nice).

Since the whole China thing, I've being way more conscious of my waste and take into account of household stuff I buy, if the packaging is at the very least recyclable. Like toothpaste tubes - apparently they're unrecyclable (since only hard plastics are recycled here) https://www.recyclenow.com/what-to-do-with/toothpaste-tubes but I buy Euthymol especially as the tube is aluminium so it can be at least recycled after cleaning it out.

TA - the fact that we're the neanderthals of Europe for waste management and recycling in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

All 3 people probably drove straight out of their parking spaces, after having reversed in, like a good driver would.

Some car parks are designed to be drive in, reverse out (I think it's called Chevron Parking). Liffey Valley is one such place. I regularly see people getting into knots attempting to reverse in, and causing huge back logs.

TAd by bad parking in general.

Speeds

• Advertisement

trellheim wrote: »
    Yes, indeed, and those strict regulations are why you don't see it here or in the UK , If I recall correctly you can only sell farm-fresh milk in the UK at the farm gate only.

Its not worth it to the supermarket , its not a good use of the supply chain ...

This had nothing to do whatsoever with supermarkets, it wasn't part of their supply chain at all, it was a way to support local producers and get fresh, local milk while reducing waste.

Speedsie wrote: »
    Some car parks are designed to be drive in, reverse out (I think it's called Chevron Parking). Liffey Valley is one such place. I regularly see people getting into knots attempting to reverse in, and causing huge back logs.

Speeds

You can also fit more cars with Chevron parking.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Speeds

If you reverse out of a car parking space and hit someone I believe that you are immediately at fault.
    If you drive out after reversing into the space and are involved in an accident, it's not automatically your fault.

I read that over on the motors forum once.

I think the new parking in Liffey Valley is gone to standard parking now outside the cinema entrance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Dismissive reply texts when you've gone to trouble to do something for someone.:(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

northgirl wrote: »
    Dismissive reply texts when you've gone to trouble to do something for someone.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

The electric shower of my In-laws annoys me. We had a pumped rainhead shower fitted and omg best thing ever.
    But with that crappy Triton washing my hair is like trying to shower in a slight drizzle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Cleaning out my place preparing for post op for a small surgery in a couple of weeks in full Sherry Boppins mode today I've only gone and thrown out the hospital appointment letter and my bloody lease too, I am sure I've got a copy of the hospital letter but not the lease, three black bags to go through now,

TA to beat all TAs DUMPSTER DIVING. :/

:D:D:D WOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Found my lease I am getting it copied tomorrow and I'll bloody laminate or seal them in carbonite, so much stress gone now, time to watch Thor Ragnarok.

TA no good sites showing Black Panther yet, yargh a pirates life for me.

TA no good sites showing Black Panther yet, yargh a pirates life for me.

At least you're still a robbing bandit. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,706 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

TA there's no milk distributor in the supermarket or even local shops. It would be so easy to just reuse and refill the same 2 litre container(s) rather than having to throw them away every time.
    They take so much needless space in the bins, even crushed.
    Brilliant idea, I'd love to find a way to make this work.
    Is there any environmentally friendly solution to sparkling water? It is my one little luxury, ice cold, over lots of ice, but I really worry about the environmental impact of the bottles. Would a Sodastream or equivalent be an option for me?
    Then they probably had to pause for pedestrians/Mammys with buggies and toddlers sneaking by right before they were about to reverse in. Thereby seizing up the whole car park for the time that took.
    Possibly, but at least they'd have had clear visibility of the pedestrians/Mammys with buggies and toddlers sneaking by before they reversed, which is the main advantage of the reverse in/drive out approach.
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    When in a supermarket shopping car park then reversing in is not always an option .You then can't get the trolley to the boot to put the shopping in . If I am in a centre where I don't need a trolley then fine but otherwise I drive in and reverse out .

I can generally get the trolley along side the boot. Once you leave enough room to allow you to stand behind the boot and open it up, it is generally straightforward enough.

Yeah, Liffey Valley is an outlier all right. I've been that guy causing the huge backlogs once or twice, but I've learnt my lesson now. They tried that chevron style during the recent redevelopment in Lidl Rathfarnham, but it caused such chaos they went back to the standard approach very quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭mohawk

Was in a coffee shop earlier and nearly everyone in there was drinking coffee from a takeaway cup. They aren't recyclable (or very difficult to recycle). If you are sitting down in the coffee shop get a proper mug.

Was getting out of a lift and a coworker just barged into the lift as I was trying to get out. What the actual F**k. You always let people get out before you get in.
    End rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

New Home wrote: »
    At least you're still a robbing bandit. :D

Better still I don't need to go looking for a New Home... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

That's actually a great idea. You should go on Dragon's Den and pitch it. Is there anywhere else in the world that supplies milk that way?
    New Home wrote: »
    Lots of places abroad do - the machines supply local milk by the litre, you can buy new plastic bottles there or you can bring your own containers, be they glass, plastic or metal. They're very similar to those machines that sell mineral water that can be foud outside some supermarkets. Both machines and milk are tested regularly to make sure there's no issue regarding food safety.

Yes, I saw the distributors in France, they are often located near supermarkets for convenience, they must have some arrangement, but elsewhere too.

I am TA at how simple, straightforward ideas often get shot down in flames with convoluted arguments about rules and regulations here in Ireland, while they obviously work well enough abroad to perdure .

Wouldn't it be great if families had their own glass containers, no plastic involved at all anymore ! I'd love that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,196 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I'm just so dame tired and fed up,
    Now I hear that my friends' mum has cancer and disregarding advice on treatments,
    friends' home friend has said that her b/f is getting out of control lately and I know the benign "abuse" at home is getting worse.

Everyone who cared for her told her to break up with him from the start of this acting the maggot at home, the drinking cant be helping that.

I feel for them all, but I just don't have it in me to listen/council and/or be ignored again. TA'ed that I feel bad about that.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

My heart is broken.

?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Speeds

There's a few carparks in Waterford like that, the one near City Square always has complete muppets trying to enter spaces the incorrect way and then exit them the incorrect way, all with a lot of difficulty. It always makes me laugh watching them do a 17 point turn trying to get into a space.

My TA is the clocks going forward, I'm tired!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

My best friend is gone back to London :(

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

My heart is broken.

I can't thank that. I hope it's from a Ta and not something serious. Sending hugs and kisses x x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭misstearheus

10 Pages in and I can't find the Where Are You Now Thread.. :mad::mad:. This is putting me off the AH Forum and makes me want to go to other Forums. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

10 Pages in and I can't find the Where Are You Now Thread.. :mad::mad:. This is putting me off the AH Forum and makes me want to go to other Forums. :rolleyes:

For you!
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057811803&page=340

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Yawning. The sound of someone yawning will put me in the central mental hospital someday for murder. There's a "colleague" at work starts yawning loudly after lunch and doesn't stop until home time.

Actually this isnt trivial. It's serious....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

When my OH, who washes her car once in a blue moon, is slagging me about the state of mine you know it must be pretty bad.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

People losing the run of themselves at the sight of a bit of sun and wearing summer clothes. It's 8.5 degrees out, FFS.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Dread Pirate Roberts

This shaved head girl who is the anti gun face now. She has me wound up . I actually think she is loving the attention at this stage.

Closely followed by Trudeau and Jimmy Kimmel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

It's a beautiful day but the sunshine is showing up the dirty windows and dust..ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Colser wrote: »
    It's a beautiful day but the sunshine is showing up the dirty windows and dust..ffs.

Plus you can't sit in the garden in peace without seeing all the jobs that need doing!

Poochie05 wrote: »
    Plus you can't sit in the garden in peace without seeing all the jobs that need doing!

Cloudy and warm would be more up my street..lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭LadyMacBeth_

I am still drunk and yet suffering from an atrocious hangover. Someone please put me out of my misery.

I am still drunk and yet suffering from an atrocious hangover. Someone please put me out of my misery.

No pity for ya ðŸ˜I'm hungover after 4 bottles,it's ridiculous.Good night?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 santry

Going to a concert and having the people around you talk through the whole thing. I didn't pay over €40 to listen to your conversation which you could have had in the pub and then when I asked them to be quiet, I was told to F*ck off !!!!

COULD. PEOPLE. PLEASE. STOP. TYPING. THE. WORD. YAWNING!? I'm going to dislocate my jaw, at this rate!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Thread names changing every 5 minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭mohawk

Is it just me or is each change of thread title getting progressively worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Oh god that thread title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Aww thanks Trigs how kind... :)

Current T.A. is the should I or shouldn't I hang out the clothes vicious circle...

Help me out guys! Should I chance hanging them out or will I bother?! :/ We had about 4 hours of sun since 10am and it's just started lashing... But might be fine again in the next half-hour....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

mohawk wrote: »
    Is it just me or is each change of thread title getting progressively worse.

Challenge accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Text speak in the thread title. Shudder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

Love the ever changing thread titles!

I propose, the make annoying trivial things great again thread.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Bloody ads in the middle of youtube videos :mad: FECK OFF!!! :mad:

ta: people who push onto the LUAS while you're getting off (0-100 rage )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Agressive motorcyclists. Had one attempt to punch off my wing mirror today.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

When you go out for a meal and one person's food arrives before the other person's food, particularly worse when it's just 2 people at the table.
    Yeah, I really wanted my husband to watch me eating and then me watch him eating and give you my money for the privilege.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement