Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Complaints

Options
  • 10-01-2018 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I visited my local Tesco in early December. I did some shopping, checked out self-service and paid with my credit card. I was in the concourse when I heard some shouting and was accosted by a Tesco member of staff who said "I think you haven't paid ...". I returned produced my receipt and with some reluctance it was accepted. No apologies just somewhat rather incoherent statement about computer .... No hint of apology of any sort I demanded to see the manager and was told he/she was not on premises. After 15 minutes a ?supervisor appeared. She refused to discuss the matter apart from stating that she was next to my checkout when I was processing my purchases. So why didn't she intervene? No explanation / apologies for accusing me of shop lifting was received. I wrote to Store Manager - no acknowledgment or response. Subsequently I wrote to Irish HQ with precisely the same outcome. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Moved from five year old thread

Accept it and move on - you aren't going to get anything else. Receipt checks are normal occurences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Receipt check may be normal, "I think you haven't paid" I would consider an accusation of theft.... I would certainly be looking for an apology!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,147 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Month since it happened not really much you can do about it now try tesco ireland facebook page but I'd expect little to nothing to be done after such a lapse in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Personally, I wouldn’t have any problem with it. You had paid, you had the receipt to show it, you were proved right, issue over. It was a self-service checkout area, probably very common there, and understandable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

Something similar happened to a friend, he didn't let it go and got 5k from Tesco as he went to a solicitor over it.
    The 5k was so he'd drop it.
    Think it was for the embarrassment etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,129 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

If you have witnesses it can be considered slander. I remember a case years ago with Game/Hmv...somewhere that sold games for consoles anyway and they did get a large payout

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Go see a solicitor immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Go to solicitor

Get 5k

Tesco staff stop checking shop lifting.

Tesco loses money to theft

They increase prices for everyone to make up the shortfall.

Orrrrrrr...be a big boy and get over it. They thought you stole stuff. You didn't. Get on with your life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 571 ✭✭✭pcuser

Suck it up buttercup.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ebbsy wrote: »
    Go see a solicitor immediately.
    Bloody hell :rolleyes: - see a solicitor for what exactly?
    Is the OP looking for a simple apology or a bundle of cash?

The OP was approached by a "Tesco member of staff" who I'm assuming was someone who worked on the shop floor and obviously next to no tact. I'm curious to know what was shouted by the staff member before they said "I think you haven't paid ...". Was it slanderous or just attention drawing?

Either way, the OP should move on and forget about any idea of money or solicitors (if this is going through their mind). This country gets more and more greedy every day!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

pcuser wrote: »
    Suck it up buttercup.

@pcuser - please try to offer something more helpful to the OP than this

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Lilliput2 wrote: »
    No apologies just somewhat rather incoherent statement about computer .... No hint of apology of any sort
    I would have taken/considered the incoherent statement to be a hint of an apology, if I was that bothered I would have asked them to be more coherent, it probably was the apology.

But honestly I would not have been that bothered and would have just gone home, knowing mistakes happen, and not getting all worked up about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Go to solicitor

Get 5k

Tesco staff stop checking shop lifting.

Tesco loses money to theft

They increase prices for everyone to make up the shortfall.

Orrrrrrr...be a big boy and get over it. They thought you stole stuff. You didn't. Get on with your life

the issue is not with Tesco checking for shop lifting. It is about how they do it. Staff should not be shouting after customers across the concourse. The response that the OP received from tesco staff and headquarters was abysmal.

the issue is not with Tesco checking for shop lifting. It is about how they do it. Staff should not be shouting after customers across the concourse. The response that the OP received from tesco staff and headquarters was abysmal.

Shouldn't shout after them?

It's either that or chase after them to within comfortable talking distance....

They can't win

Shouldn't shout after them?

It's either that or chase after them to within comfortable talking distance....

They can't win

they can. they can act professionally. the fact that the supervisor was standing next to the OP at the till and did nothing tells me that the staff are clueless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭c6ysaphjvqw41k

This post has been deleted.

they can. they can act professionally. the fact that the supervisor was standing next to the OP at the till and did nothing tells me that the staff are clueless.

Way it works in most stores is they have dignatef security personnel to do the "confronting" so the one watching can't do anything.

Also it's worse to be accused in the store in front of other customers at the tills rather than outside which is quite

Way it works in most stores is they have dignatef security personnel to do the "confronting" so the one watching can't do anything.

Also it's worse to be accused in the store in front of other customers at the tills rather than outside which is quite

The staff are only meant to accuse if they KNOW. that is what they should be trained to do. These two clowns obviously missed that session. and they cant accuse anybody at the tills. they to leave the store before they any offence is committed.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Speak to a solicitor asap about possibly taking a defamation case, even the threat of such would make Tesco actually take this seriously

• Advertisement

The staff are only meant to accuse if they KNOW. that is what they should be trained to do. These two clowns obviously missed that session. and they cant accuse anybody at the tills. they to leave the store before they any offence is committed.

Well first of all, they can't KNOW 100%. Ever. Any time. They can just suspect.

And yeah, they followed him outside like they were supposed to do.

Well first of all, they can't KNOW 100%. Ever. Any time. They can just suspect.

And yeah, they followed him outside like they were supposed to do.

the staff ****ed up. I'm going to leave this here. its going nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

As an ex Tesco employee this is what I have to add - the member of staff should not have stopped you, he is not trained in how to deal with this, if you had of stole it would he have arrested you? What if you had have given him a punch? He also wouldn’t have a PSA licence which is required if you want to be a security person. Trained security personnel are trained not to stop someone unless they are in no doubt whatsoever that you have stolen something. They must have witnessed the whole act with their own eyes, from you removing it from the shelf concealing it and passing past the last point of sale ie out the door... only then can they stop you. If I as a memeber if staff clearly seen someone steal something and told a security guard he couldn’t stop them as he didn’t see it himself, and he could get into trouble if he is mistaken. There has been incidents where they have stopped someone in error and I’ve seen the customer call the guards themselves for false arrest. They usually get a pay out for themselves

Reading some of the posts in this thread are actually making me feel physically sick, money grabbing scamming scumbags. Probably the same ignorant morons wondering why insurance & supermarket prices are so high...

Disingenuous to a whole new level... I can only imagine you trying to pathetically explain that to your kids, I hope you (who know who you are) have none...

rubadub wrote: »
    Reading some of the posts in this thread are actually making me feel physically sick, money grabbing scamming scumbags. Probably the same ignorant morons wondering why insurance & supermarket prices are so high...

Disingenuous to a whole new level... I can only imagine you trying to pathetically explain that to your kids, I hope you (who know who you are) have none...

So if someone is defamed, and the company in question refuse to apologise, or even acknowledge that what happened, shouldn't have, then people should just forget about it?

What if someone they work with saw it, or a neighbour, and it gets spread around that X was stopped outside Tesco, and the staff member was shouting that they hadn't paid? Not only is that deeply embarrassing, but its damaging as people will always say "there's no smoke without fire", but sometimes there is.

How is trying to get an apology in such a case being a "money grabbing scamming scumbag"? At the end of the day if people don't take action then it will simply keep on happening until eventually it has serious consequences for someone through no fault of their own.

Try telling someone who people think is a shoplifter (wrongly) that the money they'll get a few years down the line i will fix how they feel in that moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Time wrote: »

What if someone they work with saw it, or a neighbour, and it gets spread around that X was stopped outside Tesco, and the staff member was shouting that they hadn't paid? Not only is that deeply embarrassing, but its damaging as people will always say "there's no smoke without fire", but sometimes there is.

They would have seen them getting stopped but would have missed the next bit when they were let walk off?

How is trying to get an apology in such a case being a "money grabbing scamming scumbag"?
    ehhh, exactly, if they are not after money and just legitimately want an apology, then they are quite obviously not money grabbing... :confused:

as I said they know who they are, it is blatantly obvious who the disingenuous scum are here, they know it themselves, the dogs on the street know.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They would have seen them getting stopped but would have missed the next bit when they were let walk off?

A person could easily be near enough to hear the staff member shouting, and not be near enough to overhear whats said once they are talking face to face. All it takes is one person to say they saw someone they know being shouted after by a staff member, for walking out without paying, for a completely innocent party to have a rumour going around about them.

rubadub wrote: »
    ehhh, exactly, if they are not after money and just legitimately want an apology, then they are quite obviously not money grabbing... :confused:

as I said they know who they are, it is blatantly obvious who the disingenuous scum are here, they know it themselves, the dogs on the street know.

The problem is that sometimes the only way to get the apology is by going down the legal route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

A person could easily be near enough to hear the staff member shouting, and not be near enough to overhear whats said once they are talking face to face. All it takes is one person to say they saw someone they know being shouted after by a staff member, for walking out without paying, for a completely innocent party to have a rumour going around about them.

Maybe they could sue the person watching for defamation so!

Advertisement