Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Complaints

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

customer.services@tesco.ie

Did you try that email? I emailed a complaint, they did take a few days to respond and there was some back and forth, sometimes taking days to reply but they eventually sent a Tesco gift card as an apology.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭uli84

Time wrote: »
    The problem is that sometimes the only way to get the apology is by going down the legal route.

Haha don’t know if I should laugh or cry.
    OP i work for Tesco - please accept my apologies on behalf of it and move on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Maybe they could sue the person watching for defamation so!

Not if the person is only repeating what they saw, which in this case would be a staff member shouting at someone that they didn't pay. It's the accusation in front of the general public that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You're talking about someone on minimum wage or close to it making a mistake, even if you get an apology from Tesco it's pretty meaningless. The only apology that would matter is from that particular member of staff after they have been shown the error of their ways.
    Time wrote: »
    Not if the person is only repeating what they saw, which in this case would be a staff member shouting at someone that they didn't pay. It's the accusation in front of the general public that's the issue.

Ok, you know what, sue away. That'll definitely make the general public think you're definitely not a thief!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

rubadub wrote: »
    Reading some of the posts in this thread are actually making me feel physically sick, money grabbing scamming scumbags. Probably the same ignorant morons wondering why insurance & supermarket prices are so high...

Disingenuous to a whole new level... I can only imagine you trying to pathetically explain that to your kids, I hope you (who know who you are) have none...

I used to work in finance for a company that provided security staff to various retails outlets, both clothing and food - the amount of Cheques i had to process for defamation cases was unreal, and some serious payouts too! Claims from the defendant of wrongly been accused of stealing then they would take a case, say that it affected them so much, They couldnt eat or sleep over it, how it was so tough for them as they were seen by neighbours now the whole road are talking about them , how they cant leave the house ect!! Reading some of the stuff in the reports for the cases was just crazy!!

It was rumored for a while that in one of the clothing outlets, people were going in and pretending to steal something in view of the security guard so they would be asked about it, of course they would have nothing in their bag so therefor were accused in the wrong and would then take a case against us for
    defamation of character - got to a point where our security guards were almost afraid to check people because of all the claims that were been filed with the company

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

I think it's a disgrace that Tesco paid out 5k to somebody over something similar. I'd prefer to shop in a shop that wasn't having all is stock stolen because because the staff weren't too timid to ask to see receipts. Bloodsucking lawyers.

Sure it was a bit rude that they didn't say "sorry about that, we just have to check from time to time". If I was Tesco I'd only pay out for a few counselling sessions for anybody gravely offended, and on the condition that the "victim" actually attended to deal with their PTSD.

What's wrong with people these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I had an accident just the other day , I had an accident I wanted them to pay....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

I worked in a large multinational big box retailer for years. instructions from loss prevention was gather as much info as possible eg descriptions, times, number plate, etc etc and let the gards try and recover goods. there was no box on the shelf worth 15 to 20 k a shop pays out for false accusations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wheety wrote: »
    ...and then people complain that insurance costs in Ireland are so high!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Wheety wrote: »

that is sickening, they should name the judge involved. Could she not be done for what is blatantly planning to commit fraud or dubious insurance claims herself? or something along those lines?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

that is sickening, they should name the judge involved. Could she not be done for what is blatantly planning to commit fraud or dubious insurance claims herself? or something along those lines?

No judge involved. Settled outside of court, blame the insurance company for not fighting it maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭Time

Nearly impossible to prove intent on her part to commit any sort of fraud. Defamation cases are heard by juries, who set the damages if the complainant is successful. So companies fear (rightly) that if they are found to have defamed somone that the award will be extremely in recognition that not only was the person defamed but the company had the audacity to fight it and cause further suffering to the individual.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Owryan wrote: »
    No judge involved. Settled outside of court, blame the insurance company for not fighting it maybe.

We have to assume that they settled because of the way this system is set up. If Judges didn't give out large settlements for frivolous reasons, and the laws in place actually gave business owners a better leg to stand on, then the insurance company would surely fight it.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Madagascan

Skuxx wrote: »
    Receipt check may be normal, "I think you haven't paid" I would consider an accusation of theft.... I would certainly be looking for an apology!

No. Think being the word. Not very professional though if it was Security.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-awarded-30k-for-defamation-after-nightclub-manager-accused-her-of-robbing-handbags-36533796.html

Woman gets 30k for accusation of being a thief. Assuming that it is a false accusation, I still think that's a bonkers award. I truly believe the legal profession is operating a form of conspiracy against society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

boombang wrote: »
    https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/woman-awarded-30k-for-defamation-after-nightclub-manager-accused-her-of-robbing-handbags-36533796.html

Woman gets 30k for accusation of being a thief. Assuming that it is a false accusation, I still think that's a bonkers award. I truly believe the legal profession is operating a form of conspiracy against society.

In fairness, this person waa accused very publically in front of her friends of a crime and was effectively found guilty and refused entry with no proof or anything.

Furthermore, the place gave no evidence and did not turn up or make any response. - So with no-one disputing her story, the award was probably at the low end.

If such happened to you, would 30k be enough for justice.

CeilingFly wrote: »
    In fairness, this person waa accused very publically in front of her friends of a crime and was effectively found guilty and refused entry with no proof or anything.

Furthermore, the place gave no evidence and did not turn up or make any response. - So with no-one disputing her story, the award was probably at the low end.

If such happened to you, would 30k be enough for justice.

Effectively found guilty and the punishment was to go home early and be embarrassed infront of your friends not do time in jail for theft. If they are your friends they'll know your not the type to dip handbags. Yes, not a nice thing to happen, but I'd honestly be happy with €2k.

Also, I know nobody showed up to defend the case, but I don't believe that should influence the reward. More generally I believe businesses have a responsibility to attempt to root out thieves on their premises for the sake of their customers. It's going to be difficult to be 100% correct all the time. Could have been an honest mistake on the behalf of the bouncers.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The club in question there has closed down so it's unlikely there'll be a cent paid

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

L1011 wrote: »
    The club in question there has closed down so it's unlikely there'll be a cent paid

The claimant would appear to have known that the club was in liquidation before the case so my guess is that they will try to claim from an insurance policy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Farmer Bob

L1011 wrote: »
    Moved from five year old thread

Accept it and move on - you aren't going to get anything else. Receipt checks are normal occurences.

“I think you haven’t paid” is defamation if heard by any third parties.

You don’t intervene with a suspected shoplifter unless you’re 110% sure you saw them take an item without paying.

Stopping a suspected shoplifter and announcing that you “think” they haven’t paid is a good way to get sued, and rightly so...

And by the way, there is no legal or moral requirement to show your receipt at a so called receipt check.
    boombang wrote: »

20-30k would be a pretty standard amount of compensation for having your good name harmed by a false accusation. Not a conspiracy at all...

Advertisement