Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tommy Tiernan's comments on older gamers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Alot of the time when im together with my family, my parents and brothers, and sometimes their wives.. And everybodies chatting away, the conversation usually turns to what they're watching on the telly, big brother, x factor, dancing with the stars etc, absolute garbage stuff.. I just sit there, tuned out, thousand yard stare and lost in thought about whatever game I'm playing, and its fucking great :pac:

**** Tommy Tiernan

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

This is total non news ...........Typical snowflake generation stuff getting defensive over nothing who cares what anyone says as long as you enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Just let this stupid thread die already.

Mods for god's sake LOCK IT

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I find it funny, how its deemed ok to binge watch tv shows for 8-10 hours over a weekend.

But playing computer games is something only kids can do...I don't play many games, enjoy Elder Scrolls series of games & FM series of games. Occasionally will play FIFA with friends.

Think its better past time that watching reality TV which is genuinely the most depressing thing about humanity

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Tommy must have run out of his edgy jokes about dangerous topics like Travellers and the Catholic church.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

He's not allowed to make jokes about travellers anymore, they have been proven to be perfect humans with no flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'm 35, married, 2 kids, active social life, have a career, friends, still play the same online games in the evenings I have since my teenage 56k modem days.

Tommy can jog the feck on, sure isn't he an ex alcoholic and drug addict?.

I have a couple of new ones if you need a lend!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I found it a very common attitude in Ireland.
    I have two sisters one nearly forty and the other 27 who find it baffling that my brother and i still play consoles
    They find it childish, i just find them ignorant
    I think the impression in Ireland to some is you have to act like a proper farmer to be considered a grown up
    My wife isnt from Ireland and she never even took notice that i gamed regularly
    I explained how my sisters viewed it and she didnt understand it, she likened it to reading a book

In fairness he has a point.

If a man is well in to his thirties and can afford to spend his time playing some role-playing game where he pretends to be a dragon hunter for literally hundreds of hours there is likely something very wrong.

That kind of behaviour may be normal enough when a guy is in his early twenties in college and can afford to spend hours smoking hash and playing games. However, if you're still at it a decade or two later, his description as a 40 year old teenager is probably accurate...

You are gonna hate readers :pac:

Well, you'd be completely wrong. What out of curiosity do you do for fun?

Ooooh i bet you the answer is going drinking with the lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,142 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Poor man must have not caught groudon at the last raid on Pokemon go, next time tomo next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭WarpAsylum

RopeDrink wrote:
    I've been gaming since 1989 - now smack-middle of my thirties and have no desire to stop playing. Having said that, it was also my introduction to a creative platform I adore. I wanted to be an artist or actor or [insert random childish dream job here], yet when I made my first game after getting a C64, everything changed. Sure, I'm 35 and playing more games than any teenager you know, yet I've also had the pleasure of working in that industry and still make content about gaming on a daily basis. It has been a great way to flex my creative muscle for the past three decades (nearly) and have been the industry/career I've strived to achieve since childhood (and have my foot in the door as it is).

Awesome! You're living the dream! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭s8n

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    He can feck off back to China for all I care.

Think that was Des Bishop

• s8n wrote: »
    Think that was Des Bishop

potato patato

Remember people, Tommy Tiernan is a man who has on stage stated that when at home he is unable to sit down and watch a film with his family and will drink a bottle of whiskey by himself instead. His comments here are just him being his usual self, a dick with an ego he doesn't deserve, a man desperate to be seen as relevant when he's little more than an angry little man who shouts a lot.

• Doesn't he suffer from depression? His attempts at humour may be just a coping mechanism tbf.
    It seems to be the case for alot of comedians.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,585 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man is this still being debated? I suspect if Tiernan got wind of the thread he's probably laughing his a$$ off at all the gamers taking the bait :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

This is total non news ...........Typical snowflake generation stuff getting defensive over nothing who cares what anyone says as long as you enjoy it
    Wait, the older generations are the snowflake generations now?

I'm not sure you've thought this effort through, good sir. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    But playing computer games is something only kids can do...
    RopeDrink wrote: »
    The key is to remember not to wave a damn paintbrush, which is what he's doing.

I'll say it again, that's not what he said or was implying.

Read the bloody passage in the first post, it couldn't be more straightforward.

Poor man must have not caught groudon at the last raid on Pokemon go, next time tomo next time.

He's probably just pissed he went for the Switch version of Skyrim and not PSVR.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Obviously you don’t want to make a fool of yourself but generally speaking I believe there is no norm on how to behave in that regard. As in I should behave a certain way cos I’m now X years of age. Just behave in what is your natural behaviour. And if f that means you’re still behaving young good on you.

But rich coming from him anyway. His entire stage persona is built around acting the eejit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭Polar101

Well, I'm one of those '40-year old teenagers'. I've played games for over 30 years and have no intention of stopping it anytime soon. I also don't feel like I'm doing something I should have stopped long ago, in fact pretty much everyone I know is a gamer as well. It's funny that this 'gaming is for kids' view is still surfacing every now and then - some people just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

People here banging on about how it's either gaming or reality TV/drinking. There are other options you know.

I spent the sunday hiking up around glendalough with my children. A much more rewarding activity than casting virtual spells or planning raids with a load of teenagers online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

People here banging on about how it's either gaming or reality TV/drinking. There are other options you know.

I spent the sunday hiking up around glendalough with my children. A much more rewarding activity than casting virtual spells or planning raids with a load of teenagers online.

Theres more to gaming than world of warcraft :rolleyes:

Well done, you're the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Hiking round Glendalough in January is pretty close to my perfect version of Hell but if it's what you enjoy go for it. I won't denigrate your hobby despite my opinion.

I didn't need to add the last line but I've been trying to use denigrate in a sentence for the past week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

I regularly go on long cycles (less so with the weather in the last few weeks with the weather) and try to get myself to the gym twice a week, as well as playing games... though I typically only play anything online quite rarely, and at that with some childhood friends who live abroad, or with the girlfriend. That way I'm actually getting some diversity in and actively engaging my body and mind rather than mindlessly walking up and down a hill over and over again.

Best of both worlds, eh? :)

Why is it?
    Perhaps for you it is, but a very arrogant attitude to think it would be a more rewarding activity for everyone
    I personally prefer playing a game of rugby to hiking, its a far more rewarding activity than strolling around in the hills :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And I personally avoid most cardio based activities, like sport and walking/hiking/etc, and I find gaming a much more rewarding experience than ending up tired, sweaty, possibly injured. Each to their own and all that!

Come to think of it, I've never really got into sports, because of the old 'Not friends with the managers son' situation, so never picked (and before anyone asks, when I did get to play, I did quite well). So that meant I lost all interest in it. Fast forward 20 years, and all my friends who played sports ending up breaking something at some stage. I, touch wood, can happily say I've never broken anything! Sport is bad for your health!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

This is the most surreal thing I've ever read through on Boards. Comedians poke fun at things lads, lighten up. Christ

Advertisement