Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your experience with the Gardai

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,704 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

jim_bull wrote: »
    most guards earn more per annum than most solicitors , your average solicitor in a small town isnt on close to what your average guard brings home , i say that as someone who had two uncles in the guards until they retired a few years ago , my sister is a solicitor in a ( small ) firm in dublin , she earns 40 k per year and is there since 2006 , average guard is on 60 k

the top criminal law firms or the michael mc dowells of this world can give a skewed version of the profession

they also put in far more hours per week than a guard

You're way off. Michael McDowell is a barrister, not a solicitor. Starting salaries for newly solicitors outside Dublin just might be around €40k. 10 years experience in private practice in Dublin would be closer to €100k.

https://www.morganmckinley.ie/article/2017-legal-salary-guide

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭opinionated3

Certain Gardai made over seventy thousand euro in overtime last year outside of their normal salary. This for a force that has a piss poor record in actual crime fighting i.e burglaries etc but seemingly spends most of its time checking tax and insurance and generally just earning a bit extra for revenue. If the system that allows those sorts of payments is broken, fair enough, it needs fixing. But there is no way anyone will convince me that there isn't an inherent and real credibility problem with this" force".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

This ****e is on its 11th page!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

Generally lacking any empathy i was on the phone to hospital where parent was still gave me points. i reported some animal cruelty they ignored it so i went back until they did something in general they dont really care like anyone in a repetitive job just collect the wages and leave me alone !! And since the wages are soo good i am not suprised !!

Generally lacking any empathy i was on the phone to hospital where parent was still gave me points.

Fair play to them. If it was that important to you, you would have stopped to make the call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,934 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Certain Gardai made over seventy thousand euro in overtime last year outside of their normal salary. This for a force that has a piss poor record in actual crime fighting i.e burglaries etc but seemingly spends most of its time checking tax and insurance and generally just earning a bit extra for revenue. If the system that allows those sorts of payments is broken, fair enough, it needs fixing. But there is no way anyone will convince me that there isn't an inherent and real credibility problem with this" force".

I wonder how many crimes are committed close to checkpoints whilst the Guards are busy. If you need a Guard in a hurry, drive to your nearest checkpoint.

ANDREW _ thanks i didnt make the call i received the call and i was on a single country road no where to pull in ........ could have not lifted the phone but was about a parent on life support and i was rushing home to be there OK

ANDREW _ thanks i didnt make the call i received the call and i was on a single country road no where to pull in ........ could have not lifted the phone but was about a parent on life support and i was rushing home to be there OK

You can stop without pulling in, right? If it is an emergency, just stop and put on your hazards. Or you can get a bluetooth headset for a tenner to allow you to take such calls, right? Someone else will end up on life support as a result of you driving on the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Generally lacking any empathy i was on the phone to hospital where parent was still gave me points. i reported some animal cruelty they ignored it so i went back until they did something in general they dont really care like anyone in a repetitive job just collect the wages and leave me alone !! And since the wages are soo good i am not suprised !!

To be fair, if they believed the excuse every driver gave when caught using their phone while driving, no one would have any points

ok thanks to all you perfect citizens. Heres another experience for i went out with a guard and boy could he drink and drive and flash his badge . If i look back to my leaving cert year and see who went to college and who went into the cops it summed it up for me the bullies and sociopaths went to the cops. I stand by my lacking in empathy stance ..... Have a nice day !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

siblers wrote: »
    To be fair, if they believed the excuse every driver gave when caught using their phone while driving, no one would have any points

Don't worry about points if you know the right garda and your well connected he will wipe the points off for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

The law is the law and you broke the law. Sh1tty situation but it's your fault not theirs

ok thanks to all you perfect citizens. Heres another experience for i went out with a guard and boy could he drink and drive and flash his badge . If i look back to my leaving cert year and see who went to college and who went into the cops it summed it up for me the bullies and sociopaths went to the cops. I stand by my lacking in empathy stance ..... Have a nice day !
    My boyfriends a guard and he's kind, sweet, understanding and likes helping people. What's your point? Just like every profession there's pricks and there's good people.

good for you and lucky for you too.

• Site Banned Posts: 19 jim_bull

You're way off. Michael McDowell is a barrister, not a solicitor. Starting salaries for newly solicitors outside Dublin just might be around €40k. 10 years experience in private practice in Dublin would be closer to €100k.

i know he is a barrister , i just didnt want to be a pedantic pete

it is you who are way off if you think most solicitors are on 100 k after ten years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Unfortunately I had to deal with them for a very serious crime. They were amazing and went above and beyond for us. One guard in particular is a super hero in my eyes and I cannot thank him enough for everything he did for us.

its a goldmine for people who are mediocre and wouldnt come close to those earnings were they to do anything else , most would be labourers on building sites were they not wearing a uniform

its not wonder the force is always oversubscribed with applications

Don't worry about points if you know the right garda and your well connected he will wipe the points off for you

yes and if a lone honest cop takes him to task over it , the entire force ( including two commissioners ) will embark on a smear campaign to destroy him

Only had minor dealings with them and all pleasant. They came by to check up on my mother once after she had a runin with some local lad causing trouble, which seemed nice to do

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Nothing but positive experiences in my few interactions with them - passport docs, checkpoints, event management.
    Showed a real interest when I called in to report a dangerous driver yesterday, and followed up to confirm they had spoken with the individual.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement

Nothing but positive experiences in my few interactions with them - passport docs, checkpoints, event management.
    Showed a real interest when I called in to report a dangerous driver yesterday, and followed up to confirm they had spoken with the individual.

your direct experience is minimal

i had no experience with them either until i was twenty six , then a well connected man moved in close to me and began making false accusations as a way of engaging in a land grab , the guards lied for this guy in court even after he left me in A+ E , they searched my house for a stun gun which the blow in accused me of pulling on him after he left me with two black eyes

that was in 2005 , they then summonsed my widowed mother to court for the crime of paying a man to cut the hedges , he accidently cut a little of this guys hedge and your man claimed it was mallicious damage to trees , my mother never had to go to court in the end as the guy must have been surprised the boys in blue would do his bidding to that degree and dropped the charges in the end

in 2011 i spent four hours being questioned in a station for the crime of buying a can of coke , the same guy accused me of making a threatening gesture towards him outside the shop and that i followed him in , i never even saw him but we were both in the store at the same time as cctv showed , anyway i had a top criminal solicitor this time round and picked a nice spot on the wall during the interview and refused to answer a single question bar what my name was , corrupt seargent who interviewed me called me two months later to say no further action would be taken

corrupt to the core they are

Ok Jim tell both sides of the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

Generally, I find them helpful. Wish there was more traffic cops to deal with the god awful driving and road rage on Irish roads.

Had one bad experience years ago, Garda in a jeep undertook me going onto a one way, one lane street nearly driving me off the road (unmarked, plain clothes, no siren) who then pulled me over and blamed me for being in the wrong lane, but they were in the wrong lane (lane to turn left only). When I asked if he'd like to walk with me back to the junction to see the road markings/arrows, he told me 'not to be so smart missy' and that he'd 'have me up in front of a judge so fast it would make my head spin'. Horrible fcuker he was, so aggressive. It was 10 years ago and I was young enough, so took it on the chin but in hindsight i should have got his badge number or at least asked to have seen a badge.

Ok Jim tell both sides of the story.

sure you could say that about any little story on any forum ?

mojesius wrote: »
    Generally, I find them helpful. Wish there was more traffic cops to deal with the god awful driving and road rage on Irish roads.

Had one bad experience years ago, Garda in a jeep undertook me going onto a one way, one lane street nearly driving me off the road (unmarked, plain clothes, no siren) who then pulled me over and blamed me for being in the wrong lane, but they were in the wrong lane (lane to turn left only). When I asked if he'd like to walk with me back to the junction to see the road markings/arrows, he told me 'not to be so smart missy' and that he'd 'have me up in front of a judge so fast it would make my head spin'. Horrible fcuker he was, so aggressive. It was 10 years ago and I was young enough, so took it on the chin but in hindsight i should have got his badge number or at least asked to have seen a badge.

guards will set out to harm you if you dont show them enough deference , they love two things

1. having their egos massaged

2. easy targets

jim_bull wrote: »
    guards will set out to harm you if you dont show them enough deference , they love two things

1. having their egos massaged

2. easy targets
    With all due respect that's nonsense.
    Since starting driving I've been pulled for speeding, been stopped at checkpoints, dealt with them roadside at an accident, had to call them to violent situations, handing in wallets/handbag that I found, and each time I've interacted with them they've all been respectful and pleasant.
    You have had some sh1t experiences but it's not an accurate representation of the entire force.

And TBH if you're approaching them with an attitude because you have no respect for them, they're not going to reciprocate with the utmost respect either.

With all due respect that's nonsense.
    Since starting driving I've been pulled for speeding, been stopped at checkpoints, dealt with them roadside at an accident, had to call them to violent situations, handing in wallets/handbag that I found, and each time I've interacted with them they've all been respectful and pleasant.
    You have had some sh1t experiences but it's not an accurate representation of the entire force.

And TBH if you're approaching them with an attitude because you have no respect for them, they're not going to reciprocate with the utmost respect either.

ive always been respectful to them and i still am , i always address them by their title as i do with a doctor etc , i believe they are a corrupt org like fianna fail are but i still am always civil

i had two uncles served in the guards but of course were in a different part of the country , my problem was i had a feud with someone who had pull very high up in the force , local rank and file often have to ignore wrong doing by people who are connected to guards higher up the chain , while you might sympathise that they are only following orders from up on high , they are complicit in this corruption by discharging corrupt practices

the majority of guards tolerate corruption even they themselves are not profiting from it or the root of it

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

caught speeding on a back road,[far too fast] guard was from Cork 'Jesus what's with the speed' he said, I had no answer, 'for God's sake slow down 'he said as he walked away, Can't get fairer than that. [Thanks guard fro Cork I owe you a pint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

decky1 wrote: »
    caught speeding on a back road,[far too fast] guard was from Cork 'Jesus what's with the speed' he said, I had no answer, 'for God's sake slow down 'he said as he walked away, Can't get fairer than that. [Thanks guard fro Cork I owe you a pint.

So your experience is that they don’t do their job properly??

• Advertisement

The Guards stopped my neighbour at a checkpoint. She had three children & a baby with her on their way to school. Her tax was 6 weeks out of date & this was only a few days since the Minister announced a change in the rules re a grace period.

The guards seized her car & left her & the kids by the roadside. Whether to seize a vehicle is at the Garda's discretion. They could of given her 7 days to produce it.

They also seized the van of a guy who had no work for months & was on his way to start a new job. He pleaded with them to give him a week to produce. He lost the job & the van as he couldn't afford to reclaim it.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Fozzydog3

Overall pleasant experiences bar one.

I worked on the front desk of serviced apartments for a while, in one of the buildings there was no staff toilet so you had to use an apartment's toilet if there was no guests, unfortunately it was fully booked so no toilet for me.

One day someone called to say that their card was stolen and they traced a purchase to our place. It turned out that whoever stole the card was staying in a few other buildings that the chain owned. So being the upstanding citizen I am I called into the garda station a few doors down to let them know that someone whos been using a fraudulent card was due to arrive soon, I asked whether I should cancel the booking all together or check in the guest as normal and then call them and the wan behind the counter looked at me as if to say "what the hell do you want me to do about it ?'' I was a bit taken aback so I was just like "ehh he's about to commit a crime I thought it's be something you'd be interested in" and again she mumbled something else.

So I kind of gave up on that issue and went on to the more pressing issue of having to do a sh!te. So I said to her "seeing as I helped you any chance you could return the favour and let me use your toilet ?" to which she replied "you helped us that's awful fcukin' cheeky now, normally we don't let members of the public use the toilet but go on."

Now I've stayed in hostel across the country and Europe but nothing could have prepared me for the scene I came across, there was **** on the toilet seat and on the cistern, at this stage I really had to go so I braced myself and went to get tissue to clean up the seat, well the tissue was no better, there on the roll was 5 ****ty fingerprints going all the way around the industrial sized roll, so there I was gagging as I'm trying to pick bits of clean TP from between the ****ty fingerprints, it took me about 5 minutes to actually get the toilet clean enough to **** on. when I was done I just bolted out of the place as it was a small community garda station I doubt they had many people coming in, I was worried they were gonna pin it on me.

Anyways that's one experience out of many good ones.

Discodog wrote: »
    The Guards stopped my neighbour at a checkpoint. She had three children & a baby with her on their way to school. Her tax was 6 weeks out of date & this was only a few days since the Minister announced a change in the rules re a grace period.

The guards seized her car & left her & the kids by the roadside. Whether to seize a vehicle is at the Garda's discretion. They could of given her 7 days to produce it.

They also seized the van of a guy who had no work for months & was on his way to start a new job. He pleaded with them to give him a week to produce. He lost the job & the van as he couldn't afford to reclaim it.
    Just because someone has kids doesn't mean they're exempt from the law. She didn't have tax on her car and therefore had no right to be driving on a public road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

Just because someone has kids doesn't mean they're exempt from the law. She didn't have tax on her car and therefore had no right to be driving on a public road.

If you look back in the posts you will read where another persons tax and nct were also expired.They were given time to produce the documents at a staion at a later date. Once shown that was it. Double standards or favouritism or just got a garda with a bit of kop on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Stonedpilot

Piper101 wrote: »
    They are different police organisations, we are not in the US and operate to a different legal system, societal rules.

But the advice of keeping quiet and not incriminating yourself in any way is universal. Irish solicitors would advise the same thing.

If people are stupid enough to tell nosy Garda all their business work away!.

Good old standard Boards answer :) No grey just black or white.

By the way the change in law was never announced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Never had anything but good experiences with them. Treat them fairly and with respect and stay on the right side of the law and you’re unlikely to ever have trouble.

But the advice of keeping quiet and not incriminating yourself in any way is universal. Irish solicitors would advise the same thing.

If people are stupid enough to tell nosy Garda all their business work away!.
    No it's a repercussion of breaking the law

Edit sorry quoted this by mistake - it was in response to the poster saying it's favouritism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Good and bad. My parents house was burgled a few years ago. Guards were brilliant. Very understanding and helpful. Couldn't praise them enough.

Another time I was at a local event. There was a Guard directing traffic. He was there the whole day there and I noticed he hadn't eaten. I felt bad for him so I got him a bag of chips and a burger. Never in my life have I someone as grateful. I've met him a few times over the years and he's always remembered me.

On the negative side my friend was assaulted on a night out a while back. Guard that came to the hospital couldn't possibly be more ignorant. Had no interest in hearing my friends side of the story and wasn't exactly subtle in implying he deserved it. Only for my friends dad being good buddies with the local sergeant he'd never have seen justice. Have a few other stories too that I won't go into.

I try to judge each guard as individual rather than the force. In my experience for every 100 Guards you meet 95 will be sound out. Just trying to do a thankless job and make a living same as everyone. 4 of them could do with a personality transplant but for the most part are okay. The last 1 is a proper knob. Problem of course is this is the guy that everyone remembers. It's human nature.

The Guards get a bad rep but for the most part they're okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Ineedaname wrote: »
    Another time I was at a local event. There was a Guard directing traffic. He was there the whole day there and I noticed he hadn't eaten. I felt bad for him so I got him a bag of chips and a burger. Never in my life have I someone as grateful. I've met him a few times over the years and he's always remembered me.
    Fair play to you, that's real humanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Snotty wrote: »
    Always good, if you are reasonable, they will respect you.
    If you have a poor opinion of them, chances are you are a scumbag.

So we should accept all the crap that went on in Donegal? If not your a scumbag???? Sounds like someone is or is closely related to a guard. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Only really dealt with them during my two stints sitting on a jury. They aren't very clever or they don't know the law.

Noveight wrote: »
    I can never understand why a person would waste their own time and that of the Gardaí with such nonsense.

What, excising your rights??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Discodog wrote: »

First off discofog you have a very well established hatred of gardai here so any of your storues are questionable at best

Are you talking about the grace peroid in relation to VRT of non irish reg cars ? other wise id appreciate a link re this "grace period " that goes past 6 weeks and a 7 day production period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Generally poor. They seem workshy and will try anything in the book to try to get out of doing actual work.

I was assaulted many years back in a local nightclub. Got a headbutt, broken teeth, 2 black eyes, busted nose. The bouncers were sound enough, cleaned me up, made sure I was ok and let me know that there was a squad car outside if i wanted to report it straight away while i had all the details fresh in my mind, and in case the Gardai wanted to speak with any of the bouncers that witnessed the assault. Walked over to the car, opened with "sorry to bother you but......" got as far as that before I was to to "fcuk off away from the car". I tried to explain that I was assaulted and he told me that there was nothing he could do. I asked why he could not do anything and was told "we have to stay here in case theres any trouble in the nightclub", I countered with "there was trouble in the nightclub, my nose is the result of it, and the guy that did it is there" and pointed him out.

Was then told "If you don't get away from the car now, I'll arrest you for drunk and disorderly (I wasn't) and when you bleed all over the back of the car on the way to the station i'll add destruction of police property to the charge". He then told me again to pi55 off and to call an ambulance if I wanted a record of the injury and contact my local station the next day about it.

Rang my local station the next day, was told that because it happened the next town over that I'd have to contact them. Contacted them, gave them the guys name, address, bouncers who witnessed its names and phone numbers and the phone number of the manager who said that he was going to burn a copy of the CCTV to DVD for the Gardai to collect. Went from victim to suspect in about 2 seconds. Why did he assault you? (It was completely unprovoked) I don't believe it was unprovoked. What did you do to make him retaliate like that? and on and on and on. Finally I told the Garda to look at the CCTV, speak to the bouncers and witnesses and they'd corroborate everything. Was told "Grand, we'll look into it and get back to you".

Now unless they've taken it EXTREMELY seriously, and are working deep cover to see if they can get a confession by wearing a wire, I don't think they'll be getting back to me. It was over 15 years ago. Saw him a few weeks later and sorted it myself.

Shocking story I’ve seen similar. I was outside a train station in Co Wicklow and watched as a brawl broke out with 5/6 lads 25 yards away I watched 3 guards in a van watch on and do nothing. 2 lads broke away still fighting one of the lads ran away but fell the other lad ran about 20 feet and gave him a kick in the head I taught he was a goner he lay on the ground for a few minutes and got up then just in time to see the Gardai van drive by and do nothing after they watched the whole incident.

I always looked back thinking if that lad ended up dead what BS excuse would the Gardai have came up with. The standard of policing in this country is a joke the whole force is a crooked as a barrel of snakes.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The trouble most people who do it don't do it for that reason. They do it to annoy, taunt, one up the Gardai.

And that's just foolishness in the extreme. Talk about making yourself look guilty of something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Acting like a twerp I’d call it. Tomayto, tomahto.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

One negative experience. I was on my way home from work (still in my uniform) when two plain clothes members of the drug squad mistook me for someone else. They called after me and when I didn't respond they blocked my path and pinned me to the ground. I got knocked around a bit before being taken to the garda station where I was strip searched and let go.

Apparently the area I was travelling through was "known for drug dealing" (news to me and I'd been walking that way for years) and they thought I was buying or selling drugs or something. I'm not really sure tbh because they seemed to realise their mistake half way through and started implying I was stealing. They later claimed they flashed their badges at me, which is possible but the arresting guy was so aggressive from the start I didn't notice. The other guy wasn't so bad and once he realised the mistake started distancing himself.

I was probably a bit naive at the time but the whole experience really lowered my opinion of the guards. Weirdly enough the worst thing about it was listening to them as we waited to be picked up by a garda car. They spouted some absolutely vile misogynistic language about the female garda driver, who I briefly interacted with and found very professional.

When I tell people this story IRL they usually laugh their asses off because they find the idea that a garda would think I was suspicious looking and/or buying or selling drugs hilarious.

On a postive note, I was in an accident a few years later and both the guards I dealt with were extremely nice and professional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Noveight wrote: »
    Acting like a twerp I’d call it. Tomayto, tomahto.
    Yep. I can never understand that kind of antic at all.
    Why make life difficult?

The trouble most people who do it don't do it for that reason. They do it to annoy, taunt, one up the Gardai.

And that's just foolishness in the extreme. Talk about making yourself look guilty of something.

How do you know? Can you link me a report on the statistics showing that?

No, you just pulled that out of your arse perhaps?

Remaining silent is not an admission of guilt, if a guard wants to 'do' me for something I'm not going to help them make the case by saying anything. If there is no crime often they will look for one. Keep your mouth shut at all times.

Name, address and DOB. Not another word. Never admit your speed, what you had to drink, where your going, where you came from. Just be respectful and decline to answer any questions and ask if your free to go. If they say no your under arrest then absolutely shut your mouth and remember anything you have already said will be used against you.

If you do not exercise your rights you give them up, something I will not do?

Maybe more of you sheep should look into your rights.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Yep. I can never understand that kind of antic at all.
    Why make life difficult?

because it makes the people who do it feel important or intelligent when in reality it just displays the breath of thier stupidity. Just look at the posts here from people who advocate or admit to acting like that.

Interestingly their stories all end the same. Witg them winning a moral victory and the garda storming away mumbling and defeated.

In reality the garda most likely finished their interaction in spite of ambient stupidity and walked away smiling at another of the worlds failures

• Advertisement
Advertisement