Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing my heating controls

Options
  • 11-01-2018 12:53am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I recently bought a Netatmo thermostat to replace my bog-standard heating controls (a Siemens RWB27 connected to a Vokera Vibe 25A).

Given that my current controls are connected to the mains I had expected to find four wires (two control and two power) but when I opened it up this is what I found.

From what I can see there's only two wires going to the controls - but by the looks of things they're power rather than regular controls for the boiler.

The Netatmo is battery powered and just needs the control wires, so am I right in assuming the wiring here isn't what I need?

I'd hoped it'd be a relatively simple straight swap but if not I can look to wire the relay directly into the boiler - just want to see if this is a blind alley before I go down that route.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The cable coming out of terminal 4 is the boiler fire signal presumably through a stat and possibly a motorized valve. So unless there is already a contactor being used your boiler is 230 volt to fire, a contactor could be used. unless your sure of everything it’s easy to make a mess or even damage something

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭bootser

Hi, as stated already term. 4 is to power up your boiler, in my system it also powered the circulating pump and motorised valves via stats. If this is the same in your case(this is what it looks like) then the relay in your netatmo may be a bit underpowered and you could need a mini relay.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

salmocab wrote: »
    The cable coming out of terminal 4 is the boiler fire signal presumably through a stat and possibly a motorized valve. So unless there is already a contactor being used your boiler is 230 volt to fire, a contactor could be used. unless your sure of everything it’s easy to make a mess or even damage something
    bootser wrote: »
    Hi, as stated already term. 4 is to power up your boiler, in my system it also powered the circulating pump and motorised valves via stats. If this is the same in your case(this is what it looks like) then the relay in your netatmo may be a bit underpowered and you could need a mini relay.

Thanks guys - sounds a bit messy. May need to call in reinforcements.

I do have the option of wiring the termostat to the boiler and plugging in the relay separately - would that solve the underpowering problem or will it be the same regardless of whether I'm wiring the thermostat or the relay?

I guess it was wishful thinking to expect it to be a relatively straight switch-over.

Advertisement