Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Immersion tank tripping RCD

Options
  • 11-01-2018 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭

Hi all

this evening I turned the immersion on and it tripped the RCD.

Having looked around on previous threads I guess this is a problem with the element which will need to be replaced.

I was wondering if anyone could answer my following two questions:

1. Is this a job for a plumber or an electrician? I see threads about it in both the Electical and Plumbing forums.

2. How much will this be likely to cost? A thread from 2009 suggests up to 140€, so I imagine we would not be talking a whole lot more than that now?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,099 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Either a plumber or electrician can do this job though most would be changed by a plumber. Some plumbers don't work with electricity & some electricians don't work with water.

Price depends on what part of the country you are in. I had someone PM me here about a shower replacement in the west of Ireland. They were being quoted hundreds more than would be the norm. I asked an their behalf on a plumbing group with nearly 3000 members. I was shocked that people thought the quote was good till it was explained that they lived hours away from anyone up tiny windy mountainous roads.

Anyway I would think anywhere from 130 to 200 supplied & fitted. More again if it's a side element rather than a top element. Best thing is to get a few quotes.

There is always the risk of the cylinder splitting during the job & the cylinder may need to be replaced. It doesn't always happen but it's not the plumbers fault if it does. The reason I stopped doing these years ago was I had a few in a row split & I just hated telling the homeowner that the job I quoted 100 for is now going to be closer to 400. It made me sick to my stomach having to ask for more than agreed so I just stopped doing them.

Advertisement