Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

The current RAF training system is not fit for purpose, to deliver it's own pilot/aircrew needs, not to mind anyone else's. The civilian contract system has failed to deliver anything near the requirements for bums on seats and is the subject of much harsh criticism in the UK. So, that route is closed to our lot. Apart from that, what does going 90 miles away to train achieve? We have the same terrain and weather conditions here.

When an Air Corps cadet starts off, he or she is essentially immersed at CPL level. PPL level training is just a minor step to be achieved, to merely prove that the cadet is capable of flying and not bending the aircraft, being receptive to instruction and rapid learning (and the threat of "the chop"). The CPL and Multi-engine/Instrument rating level is Big School, as you have to fly to higher standards, make less mistakes, recognise those errors and fix them and cope with the strange environment of IR flight. Usually, by this time, a few cadets have been chopped so the focus is intense. Instrument training also chops a few more and aerobatics/unusual attitude recovery gets a few, so by the time they get their wings, they've been through the mill. That's the first part over. Conversion to something like a Hawk is another leap. Many Air Arms use civvy schools but they tend to get them to operate to a near replica of Military training with all the rote routines and command structure and so on, that a real civvy would laugh at. The US military is a case in point. It's effectively a filtering system created by accountants so that the US doesn't "waste" money on fleets of basic trainers, but it has worked for decades and serves a huge military. Airlines who use schools like Jerez also push their students hard but they also give their candidates more chances to correct mistakes and they don't need aerobatic pilots or potential bomb droppers and they have a higher success rate. The Military have also recognised that the "chop" mentality was cutting good cadets who could have used a little bit more help and would have passed the course or could have been streamed to non-fighter aircraft or rotary. Both Military and Civvy training have their good and bad points but it would be a stupid Military that disregarded the good points of Civilian school training.

The Army attitude to driving is that a candidate can go from zero to driver of an Army 3 ton truck in 16 weeks. Same with flying; lack of experience is no bar to applying for pilot training. That doesnt necessarily mean that Army drivers are better than civvy drivers and vice versa. Also, these days, with so many people who have driving skills before they get near a 3 tonner, the course is more about undoing bad habits that qualifying a zero experience candidate.

why should Lt Cols not fly? they get Flying pay, you stick them on the roster. Same as any airline. You train them, you use them.

It is utterly impossible to have any kind of aircraft without non-EU (US) technology in it. Between avionics, engines, flight control systems, weapons, guidance systems and all the rest, American tech is involved, which is why they can shut the tap off any time they want to. EU defence companies are as cynical and greedy as any American firm and it really doesn't matter where the stuff comes from. As for Israel, they make some of the best, battle proven kit in the world and are reliable suppliers. The Gripen, much loved on these pages, is essentially dominated by American tech and if we bought them, we would have to keep a weather eye on the Americans.

• Advertisement

Let me give you an example; the Air Corps museum has a wheeled radar unit, an old one from the 60s. It turned out that the Army "gifted" the Museum a couple of L60 Bofors guns and a radar. Bearing in mind that the Don had never operated either, people were a bit bemused but it was decided that they should be kept. No-one knew anything about them, as they had NEVER, in all their service history, operated in Baldonnel but would go to Gormanstown for AA shoots. So, the Army had an anti aircraft system, that the Air Corps were unfamiliar with, the AC had never practised air defence with them on their home turf and the only integration with them was to shoot at towed targets once a year. You'd think that an Air Arm would train against an anti aircraft system, from a military point of view, wouldnt you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

It is gradually becoming the only game in town, but even the Defence bosses in the US say they need something with more bang per buck to be able to sell to the allies who do not have the means to purchase or operate the flying datacentre that is the F35.

Something that a country with a small military budget and a relatively low skilled workforce can operate and maintain, while still managing to protect it's skies, like the F5 of the past could.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Based on this article:

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2022/03/22/aust-m22.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Jesus Stovepipe your not holding back today😁

The only reason i mentioned Lt Cols was because i had mentioned similar before i was told that rank should not be flying as there managment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

I think the Typhoon only has issues with its Tranche 1 variant isnt it? Models now used by the RAF seem to be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

Yeah it's mainly the T1's that seem to have had the most issues, but even in the later Tranches you then get into some significant differences between users.

One of the Ukrainian pilots that was killed in action recently was 58! Quite why a Lt. Colonel in Ireland thinks he shouldnt fly because of his rank escapes me. Alt Col is middle management and such pilots continue to fly in the airline business, because it's their core job. As long as any pilot can pass his or her Class 1 medical, they should be on the flying schedule and not prioritising desk over cockpit. Fly less if you have to but still fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

Something like a light fighter variant of the T-7 Redhawk which I hear is in the pipeline.

Its quite a way off though. unless the US DoD start throwing millions at it, and set up a dedicated production line for the T-7. The T-38 aren't getting any younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

In fairness i'd say that's the kind of time span we are looking at anyway. We'll be lucky if we have any type of fighter before 2030

Definitely looking that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

it ADS-B is messing with us lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

I see that Saab have lost out on their bid to provide Gripens to Canada who have decided to go with the F35 instead. Good opportunity for the DOD / AC to enter into a dialog with Saab to supply Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

F35 main advantage is being stealthy and advanced systems that decrease the pilots workload but increases its combat effectiveness.

Not a fan myself but that the feedback. It's too expensive though.

Software and systems obsolescence seems to what's causing a lot of early retirement of aircraft.

The Gryphon modular systems are meant to be easier to upgrade. I think that's why it's being sold in such a variety of custom options to different operators.

• Advertisement

Mig 29 are also notoriously short ranged and thirsty. They wouldn't suit us anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

What those modular mean here? It's actually easy to swap out electrics. Cpu Gpu Ssd Nvme all easy to swap out now days. Software is always changing. Is the griphen advertising something that is just the norm

Obviously isn't if they are retiring airframes early due to it.

One of the reasons they are looking to retire the older F22s as well.

F22 isn't for sale so it doesn't matter here

Also I said now days

Be a bad idea to ignore an issue/feature that has airframes being retired. Even countries that are not in NATO want to have systems that are interoperable with NATO systems going forward. So they can train and do joint exercises. So we should be cautious about taking old systems that countries with deeper pockets are retiring due to consolidating on type or newer systems/avionics etc.

I just mean it has no point been in 4th is conservation. As I under stood it was a comparison between new Griphens and new F35

This not *4th is*

Funny you mention F35

In an eyebrow-raising move, the U.S. government is planning to buy far fewer F-35s this year than anticipated. The Pentagon will purchase just 61 F-35s in 2023, a 35 percent decrease from its previous plan to buy 94 of the fighters. One reason for the procurement drop is that the government is waiting on the imminent release of Block 4, a major hardware and software upgrade meant to enhance the stealth fighter’s capabilities.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/aviation/a39465052/f-35-orders-cut-by-35-percent/

• Advertisement

GRIPEN,

Griphen/Gryphon could be confused with Gryphon Technologies, now Mantech, who do digital engineering for the defense sector.

I understand Gripen C/D can now have their software updated to get close to that found aboard the E/F.

Advertisement