Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

What you need is few AT-802U, few air superiority jet fighters and few drones like reaper, jet fighters are good in air to air combat, for close air support jet fighters are like driving Ferrari in Rural Ireland, don't tell me we will never need close air support fighters, the world is becoming scary place
    For air superiority jet fighters quality is every thing, the best is F-22 but they are not for sale. Typhoon Eurofighter will be the second best choice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Interesting point of view...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Reaper drones and all, sounds great.
    When can we expect to see the order placed?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

tuxy wrote: »
    Reaper drones and all, sounds great.
    When can we expect to see the order placed?

Tomorrow after evening tea

Get a move on ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    What you need is few AT-802U, few air superiority jet fighters and few drones like reaper, jet fighters are good in air to air combat, for close air support jet fighters are like driving Ferrari in Rural Ireland, don't tell me we will never need close air support fighters, the world is becoming scary place
    For air superiority jet fighters quality is every thing, the best is F-22 but they are not for sale. Typhoon Eurofighter will be the second best choice

Go have a look at Austria before you even mention the word Typhoon again.

That AT 802 U is a discusting and primitive looking piece of sh*te. I reckon the guys out in Baldonnel would die of shame if they had to fly around in them yokes. That belongs in the air force of ougabougoland!

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

That AT 802 U is a discusting and primitive looking piece of sh*te. I reckon the guys out in Baldonnel would die of shame if they had to fly around in them yokes. That belongs in the air force of ougabougoland!

So its all about looks then?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So its all about looks then?

its not but what do we want with glorified cropdusters that cant do anything we cant do with the PC-9s?

its not but what do we want with glorified cropdusters that cant do anything we cant do with the PC-9s?

I never said I wanted them! I just asked Jonny if it was all about looks...

• Advertisement

Its not all about looks its about aerodynamics etc and that yoke looks like a flying brick. Anyways...If you were buying a car would you buy one that looks like that or would you go for (say) a Honda Civic?

Its not all about looks its about aerodynamics etc and that yoke looks like a flying brick. Anyways...If you were buying a car would you buy one that looks like that or would you go for (say) a Honda Civic?

Well if it was a tool to do a job I wouldn't give a fork how it looks as long as it did the job. Im sure the Air Tractor is good at what it does.

Then they should have gone with more attractive APC than the Mowag :mad:

Well if it was a tool to do a job I wouldn't give a fork how it looks as long as it did the job. Im sure the Air Tractor is good at what it does.

unfortunately what it does is of absolutely no use to us

unfortunately what it does is of absolutely no use to us

And again I never said we should get them.

And again I never said we should get them.

it was very silly, even for this thread, to even suggest them. and johnnybigwallet did make a good point. Pilot retention is a big enough problem as it is. If we even thought about buying nonsense like that there would be an exodus.

it was very silly, even for this thread, to even suggest them. and johnnybigwallet did make a good point. Pilot retention is a big enough problem as it is. If we even thought about buying nonsense like that there would be an exodus.

And I never suggested them either, I just asked Jonny if it was about looks!!

That plane looks like it was designed by a teenager and it's the type of thing you would expect to see ordered if (God forbid), one of the Healy Rae's became minister for derence. They'd probably have it out sprayin tatties down in Kerry at the weekend.. As for the APC's...they look great to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

This thread is just a farce!
    You’ve given me a good laugh lads!
    Jets! Would ye go away and ****e!!

That plane looks like it was designed by a teenager and it's the type of thing you would expect to see ordered if (God forbid), one of the Healy Rae's became minister for derence. They'd probably have it out sprayin tatties down in Kerry at the weekend.. As for the APC's...they look great to me!

They'd probably declare war on the Japanese knot weed :D

• Advertisement

Psychlops wrote: »
    Go have a look at Austria before you even mention the word Typhoon again.
    From wiki
    In July 2017, the Austrian Defense Ministry announced that it would replace all their Eurofighter Typhoons by 2020, they stated continued use of its Typhoons over their 30 year life span would cost about 5 billion Euros with the bulk being spent on maintenance
    Possible replacements include the Saab Gripen and the Lockheed Martin F-16
    None of those is air superiority fighter
    30 years of service is not bad for a jet fighter

punchdrunk wrote: »
    This thread is just a farce!
    You’ve given me a good laugh lads!
    Jets! Would ye go away and ****e!!

It's just a thread for people who want to talk about military jet fighters.
    There should be a new one with the correct title

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

From wiki
    In July 2017, the Austrian Defense Ministry announced that it would replace all their Eurofighter Typhoons by 2020, they stated continued use of its Typhoons over their 30 year life span would cost about 5 billion Euros with the bulk being spent on maintenance

The Austrians got them in 2007, by 2017 they were looking to replace them. How did they get 30 years of service from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭sparky42

From memory the Austrians got Tranche 1's surplus, even the RAF were looking at disposing of theirs at one point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

From wiki

You are missing the big picture, one hint is they are too expensive per hour to fly, if Austria can barely keep them flying what makes you think we can.

Here, have a read:

https://warisboring.com/austria-has-no-business-flying-these-high-performance-fighters/

The Austrians got them in 2007, by 2017 they were looking to replace them. How did they get 30 years of service from them?
    What I mean is the Eurofighter will serve at least 30 years.
    The Austrian are simply downgrading to save 3 billions over 30 years, The F-16 and Gripen aren't designed to be air superiority fighters.
    If you want to defend your airspace you need air superiority fighters and they are expensive
    Turkey has 245 F-16 "Wiki" and the Russians are humiliating them in Syria with few Su-35s.
    From Wiki
    The ministry said continued use of its Typhoons over their 30-year life span would cost about €5 billion with the bulk being for maintenance. By comparison it is estimated that buying and operating a new fleet of 15 single-seat and three twin-seat fighters would save €2 billion over that period. Austria plans to explore a government-to-government sale or lease agreement to avoid a lengthy and costly tender process with a manufacturer. Possible replacements include the Saab Gripen and the F-16.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Something like a c-130 would be of a lot more use to the country.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Turkey has 245 F-16 "Wiki" and the Russians are humiliating them in Syria with few Su-35s.

As if it were that simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

Lads what planet are ye on, Austria struggling to fly typhoons for three hours a day with a defence budget of four billion...

Have a gander at our budget again!

• Advertisement

punchdrunk wrote: »
    Lads what planet are ye on, Austria struggling to fly typhoons for three hours a day with a defender budget of four billion...

Have a gander at our budget again!

They are expecting some economic boom in Ireland of proportions never seen before!

Advertisement