Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

the problem is you can hardly now uproot 800 odd people and their families and force them to move!
    when you joining say, the RAF it's a given that you'll spend a few years stationed abroad or operating from a carrier or whatever- we've never had that culture in the DF, even overseas duty is voluntary. relocating the air corps forcibly would I imagine trigger a mass exodus of experience by those who had done their time and have families settled in Dublin.

The only way to implement such a regime change would be to start small, on a volunteer basis and then create that new culture as recruits sign up knowing that they can be stationed anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,751 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Like you say start small , Offer relocation packages and do it over 5/10 year period. Besides i am sure there is plenty of young blood on the western seaboard and midlands that would love to join. With the motorway network nearly complete Shannon is not far from anywhere now. You could also set up the same way they have 112 setup in Athlone with the crews essentially doing shifts and after a few days go back to the east coast where ever there based

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Larbre34 wrote: »
    None of it is absurd at all.

If it is absurd, as you claim, then explain why so many other nations, including neutral and non-aligned European states with a similar profile to Ireland, have invested at least to some degree in jet fighter capability?

Are their motivations absurd?

Sweden narrowly avoided invasion in WW2. It sat underneath the putative flight path of Russian bombers during the Cold War. It is 200km from Kaliningrad.

Austria's Typhoon experience has been a disaster. Switerland's QRA is 9 to 5 and famously was not available to intercept a hijacked Ethiopian jet.

All three countries have substantial defence industries.

We don't have the industry, history or present need for their fleets of combat aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,091 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Could go with the half way house option of some nice advanced jet trainers like a BAE Hawk, Aermacchi M-345 or even the rather nice Yakovlev Yak-130 :pac:

They still don't have the intercept speed to do the job. Those types would be an unnecessary expense for little extra capability over the PC-9s

donvito99 wrote: »
    Sweden narrowly avoided invasion in WW2. It sat underneath the putative flight path of Russian bombers during the Cold War. It is 200km from Kaliningrad.

Austria's Typhoon experience has been a disaster. Switerland's QRA is 9 to 5 and famously was not available to intercept a hijacked Ethiopian jet.

All three countries have substantial defence industries.

We don't have the industry, history or present need for their fleets of combat aircraft.

One squadron. Nobody is talking about fleets.

Hungary and the Czechs have made a great success of their Gripen lease operations.

The Swiss have it as a cornerstone of their defence policy to provide 24/7 QRA with their F-18s by the end of this year. They had lined up a deal for a few dozen Gripens but put it to a referendum, as they do, and it was rejected.

I'd welcome a similar referendum here on the people's attitudes to national defence, following the outcome of the Commission on Defence promised in the Programme for Government.

But again, the central European nations are more protected by virtue of being in the middle of the continent and the surrounding air defence nets of big NATO members. We don't have that, or at least we cannot and should not count on Britain in the long term.

The Austrian Typhoon acquisition absolutely was a cluster-eff from beginning to end, but that was down to the eye-watering inefficiency of that type and massive political mismanagement. As a matter of fact, it is the Austrian Govts intention to replace the type asap with, guess what, Gripens or F-16s!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

We don't have that, or at least we cannot and should not count on Britain in the long term.

We probably can count on Britain in the long term - they have little choice but to fill the gap that we won't.

But the status quo is that we outsource the security of the country to the RAF. Anybody supporting this would be hypocritical to grumble about the British military. They can't have it both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

I'd welcome a similar referendum here on the people's attitudes to national defence, following the outcome of the Commission on Defence promised in the Programme for Government.

A referendum would be a ****show- Irish people are mostly clueless about defence!

tjhook wrote: »
    We probably can count on Britain in the long term - they have little choice but to fill the gap that we won't.

But the status quo is that we outsource the security of the country to the RAF. Anybody supporting this would be hypocritical to grumble about the British military. They can't have it both ways.

I think you count on the UK for nothing the way there going. They are currently on disputes with China and Russia also this little thing called Brexit. At the moment instead of being a responsible country they are the stereotype drunk brit a 2am in costa del sol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭sparky42

roadmaster wrote: »

There's plenty of blame to go round for that debacle I think, but it's a fair point.

• Advertisement

Ah look, the Austrian debacle is a well known sh1tshow, the worst of the worst political and project management and a money pit of an aircraft to boot.

The Czech and Hungarian Gripen leases are however great successes.

so it settled were getting a squadron of grippens to be based at Air Station Shannon

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Leonidas BL

so it settled were getting a squadron of grippens to be based at Air Station Shannon

Sounds good to me :D

Only thing now is, C/D or E/F model???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭satguy

We don't need Fighter Jets,, What we need is to finish building our children's hospital, extend our Luas system, and top of the things we need to do,, is to build more homes.

So what we can do is build houses on the Baldonnel site, and mothball the rusting junk that is sitting on that very nice and well placed plot of land.

satguy wrote: »
    We don't need Fighter Jets,, What we need is to finish building our children's hospital, extend our Luas system, and top of the things we need to do,, is to build more homes.

So what we can do is build houses on the Baldonnel site, and mothball the rusting junk that is sitting on that very nice and well placed plot of land.

what junk?

Go away please

Go away please

This is an online forum,, we talk about stuff here.

The whole country is going down the toilet,, and some want to spend good money on Fighter Jets .

The whole country is going down the toilet,, and some want to spend good money on Fighter Jets .

The State spent four times by percentage than we do now in far far more economically difficult times, it's more than possible for a nation to do more than one thing at a time. And given the budgets for the areas you are complaining about dwarf the DF budget, maybe go complain in those threads about how the monies are spent.

Yeah but it isn't going down the toilet. Covid will be overcome and despite all the challenges we'll come out of Brexit as the main anglophone market within the EU and boom again!

Why not organise a tour of Casement for yourself and get an education.

We have some Tom Cruise and Top Gun fans in the house tonight.

Our trains and rolling stock need upgrading, our roads need potholes fixed. Add all that to the list above.

So just say No, to Fighter Jets.

• Advertisement

Our trains and rolling stock need upgrading, our roads need potholes fixed. Add all that to the list above.

And all of which are already well more funded than the DF and are already in hand (in case you missed it, the rolling stock is already under order and will come when it's made, while the Road network is getting as much as possible despite the Greens), you could take the entire DF budget pay and pensions included and it wouldn't make a fecking difference to your points.

Mental health is underfunded too, now that I think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭tjhook

Ok, so anybody with a different opinion is a Top Gun fan.

What's your alternative? Outsource to the RAF and hope they'll continue to oblige? I suppose we could do without a military altogether if we had a few battalions of the Royal Marines here too. That would free up even more cash for the semi-states.

I see on the air corps Facebook page a picture of the pc9s prior to a fly over for the national day of commemoration. I noticed they had the rocket pods attached I wonder was someone considering a coup de'ta

Do you realise that spending tax money in a multitude of areas is good business? Surrendering the entire lot in one area is a very bad idea. You need to employ people across many, many sectors.

Read up on the construction industry boom and bust

I see on the air corps Facebook page a picture of the pc9s prior to a fly over for the national day of commemoration. I noticed they had the rocket pods attached I wonder was someone considering a coup de'ta

I spotted that as the formation flew over on the telly coverage, struck me as pretty strange!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Would they be for the coloured smoke? - complete passer by here I have no idea

edit:the rocket pods I mean

I felt shame reading this

Thing is, it's still based off a crazy interpretation of the Defence Equipment document, everyone seems to be jumping to the conclusion that this is something actively being looked at rather than just a nod to the White Paper.

• Advertisement

sparky42 wrote: »

Thing is, it's still based off a crazy interpretation of the Defence Equipment document, everyone seems to be jumping to the conclusion that this is something actively being looked at rather than just a nod to the White Paper.

Dont be a party pooper with your facts!

Advertisement