Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Suggest you look at the title of this board.

Lol!! Johnney on his high horse!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Suggest you look at the title of this board.

L39 is not a fighter jet. It is a Jet trainer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

I have read the specification. Have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

At best it is a light-attack jet. At best. It is no jet fighter.

Exactly! And a damned good one until Sparky and company's Drakens come screaming over the horizon towards Baldonnel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Exactly! And a damned good one until Sparky and company's Drakens come screaming over the horizon towards Baldonnel!

so we go and buy jet trainers and then what? the pilots will have nothing to progress to.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,626 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Lads when this pandemic is over we wont have enough money to buy a paper plane. Not that we ever had enough money for anything you are talking about. Only saying.

Do you mean the wiki or the Manufacturers document translated from Czech from Aero Vodochody

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Jonny i am starting think you work for the Department of Defence and your just hear to cause a bit of mischief !

Road. Nowt further than the truth! Ha ha!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭punchdrunk

We’re not buying attack jets
    We’re not buying jet trainers
    We’re not buying interceptors

There’s zero political will for this.

The defence forces is in rag order, critical manning levels in the IAC and NS, massively underfunded, a broken RDF, crippled by pensions, hamstrung by the DOD at all levels and not deemed worthy of a full ministerial position by gov.

Move on lads- it’s not happening, we’ve as much chance of buying nukes at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

punchdrunk wrote: »
    We’re not buying attack jets
    We’re not buying jet trainers
    We’re not buying interceptors

There’s zero political will for this.

The defence forces is in rag order, critical manning levels in the IAC and NS, massively underfunded, a broken RDF, crippled by pensions, hamstrung by the DOD at all levels and not deemed worthy of a full ministerial position by gov.

Move on lads- it’s not happening, we’ve as much chance of buying nukes at this stage

About those nukes. Well I know I guy that knows guy that's married to a gal that knows a guy.. just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Gary kk wrote: »
    About those nukes. Well I know I guy that knows guy that's married to a gal that knows a guy.. just saying

Is it time for a "Nuclear Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles for the Air Corps?" Thread?

Gary kk wrote: »

You know we aren't supposed to talk about them, because if you-know-who hears about it...you never know what you'll get.
    They'll take you off to the you know where.
    for you wouldn't know how long.
    So for You-know-who's sake don't let anyone, hear you talking about the ICBM base at Abbeyshrule.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I guess we have no immediate threats but things can and do change. Our most likely invader would still be the UK and in that case a small air force of fighters would probably be knocked out very quickly. Still, even the DR Congo have 6 fighters and if say a rogue passenger jet threatened to say fly into say the Dail we have nothing to intercept it with now. A few Hawk jets even or some advanced drone(s).

saabsaab wrote: »
    I guess we have no immediate threats but things can and do change. Our most likely invader would still be the UK and in that case a small air force of fighters would probably be knocked out very quickly. Still, even the DR Congo have 6 fighters and if say a rogue passenger jet threatened to say fly into say the Dail we have nothing to intercept it with now. A few Hawk jets even or some advanced drone(s).

Most likely invader the UK?

Do you work for the Russian Government by any chance?
    You know, the one who wanted to expand it's embassy in a leafy Dublin suburb to 5 times it's current size to accommodate the extra spies that could cross into the UK unnoticed on Ryanair?
    The Ones who's military aircraft frequently fly, transponders off through Irish Controlled airspace, at great risk to all civilian traffic who use it?
    The ones who's Navy frequently carries out military exercises in Irish waters, often leaving a large trail of heavy fuel oil in their wake?
    The ones who ACTUALLY KILLED PEOPLE in the UK who disagreed with their government?

The brits are responsible for lots of things over the years,But we have very little to fear from them militarily, as a state, today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Most likely invader the UK?

Do you work for the Russian Government by any chance?
    You know, the one who wanted to expand it's embassy in a leafy Dublin suburb to 5 times it's current size to accommodate the extra spies that could cross into the UK unnoticed on Ryanair?
    The Ones who's military aircraft frequently fly, transponders off through Irish Controlled airspace, at great risk to all civilian traffic who use it?
    The ones who's Navy frequently carries out military exercises in Irish waters, often leaving a large trail of heavy fuel oil in their wake?
    The ones who ACTUALLY KILLED PEOPLE in the UK who disagreed with their government?

The brits are responsible for lots of things over the years,But we have very little to fear from them militarily, as a state, today.

We have never been invaded by Russia and almost certainly never will be. Who knows what a destabilized UK could do in the future?

Dohvolle wrote: »
    You know we aren't supposed to talk about them, because if you-know-who hears about it...you never know what you'll get.
    They'll take you off to the you know where.
    for you wouldn't know how long.
    So for You-know-who's sake don't let anyone, hear you talking about the ICBM base at Abbeyshrule.

The first rule of Abbeyshrule is: You do not talk about Abbeyshrule. The second rule of Abbeyshrule is: You do not talk about abbeyshrule. Third rule of Abbeyshrule is: The rustic inn does a nice pint

Thanks for the laughs lads 😂

roadmaster wrote: »
    The first rule of Abbeyshrule is: You do not talk about Abbeyshrule. The second rule of Abbeyshrule is: You do not talk about abbeyshrule. Third rule of Abbeyshrule is: The rustic inn does a nice pint

You mean Abbeyshrule that’s guarded by the RDF Ranger Tier 1 assault group?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,087 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah jaysis, Abbeyshrule, I haven't heard mention of that in a long time. Not since Will Smith zapped me with the red light on the end of his vaping pipe.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Ah jaysis, Abbeyshrule, I haven't heard mention of that in a long time. Not since Will Smith zapped me with the red light on the end of his vaping pipe.

I bet people tell you that never happened and it was just something you saw in a movie?

That's what THEY want you to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

punchdrunk wrote: »
    You mean Abbeyshrule that’s guarded by the RDF Ranger Tier 1 assault group?

I first read about them over on IMO in the early 2000's apparently their camouflage is called "civvys" so they blend in & ive been told they can stand still & when they do with the camouflage it sort of bends light like in predator. :eek:

Psychlops wrote: »
    I first read about them over on IMO in the early 2000's apparently their camouflage is called "civvys" so they blend in & ive been told they can stand still & when they do with the camouflage it sort of bends light like in predator. :eek:

Like predator?
    Where do you think they got the idea for predator?

Psychlops wrote: »

I heard they still use sawn-off Bren guns and BAP’s taped onto hurleys

Oh Abbeyshrule back in the day F15's and A10's

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭sparky42

roadmaster wrote: »
    Oh Abbeyshrule back in the day F15's and A10's

What about the stealth bombers?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

sparky42 wrote: »
    What about the stealth bombers?

Shhhhhhhhhh!

secret!