Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Psychlops wrote: »
    So this morning while most of us were at Work, a United States Air Force C17 Globemaster quietly worked her way low level through Irish Airspace taking in the Cliffs of Moher & Galway Bay before headed to Casement Air Base to visit the Irish Air Corps.

What made it special is the Pilot of the C17 is an Irishman himself, have a listen to this Audio between Shannon Air Traffic Control & USAF C17 on a Tactical Callsign of “SLAM69”.

Audio by Liveatc.net, it’s the very first recording in the link provided “SLAM69”.

Enjoy:
    https://www.liveatc.net/recordings.php

loved the pronunciation. Ballin-aslow. Casemont.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,081 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

sparky42 wrote: »
    To be fair the USN flight was in part to drop off a member of the crew who was flying home for a family bereavement.

When have you ever heard that in the middle of a mission before? Unless it was a senior officer, or somebody very well connected, I don't buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

Larbre34 wrote: »
    When have you ever heard that in the middle of a mission before? Unless it was a senior officer, or somebody very well connected, I don't buy it.

So what do you think happen? Given they were just on a training exercise and were going to drop off a few contractors anyway (presuming in Scotland)...

There is a procedure for Emergency leave in a Family Bereavement situation at the commanders discretion.

https://www.military.com/spouse/military-benefits/military-family-emergency-leave.html
    https://classroom.synonym.com/navy-emergency-leave-requirements-13583756.html

Yeah fair enough, if they had other crew to offload then fine. I've no other explanation, it just seems odd circumstances to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Slam69 seems to have brought an awful lot of attention on himself during his little trip. Surely unwise?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Slam69 seems to have brought an awful lot of attention on himself during his little trip. Surely unwise?

Military aircraft lands at military base. Flies over countryside first.

Where's the story?

It was great to have them visit. I'm sure the sight of this unusual and impressive aircraft at relatively low level over and around Ireland interested many people.

Ships and aircraft from the militaries of our close friends and colleague nations are always welcome and provide opportunities for our own Defence Forces to exercise and train with them.

Slán abhaile Slam69.

Dohvolle wrote: »
    Military aircraft lands at military base. Flies over countryside first.

Where's the story?

Shinners going to shinner... Ó Broin is demanding to know why it landed in his constituency :rolleyes:

Was it always planned to land here?

If I was doing a bit of sightseeing in the company wagon over the Ma & Das house I wouldn't expect the whole world to find out. Questions being asked in the dail. Will it cause any bother for the pilot?

https://mobile.twitter.com/EOBroin/status/1394925581251264513

Was it always planned to land here?

If I was doing a bit of sightseeing in the company wagon over the Ma & Das house I wouldn't expect the whole world to find out. Questions being asked in the dail. Will it cause any bother for the pilot?

https://mobile.twitter.com/EOBroin/status/1394925581251264513

O Broin is a clown.

• Advertisement

O Broin is a clown.

He has learned from the best.

He may be but he also looks likely to be a minister in the next government, it would be very interesting if SF want to take a stronger line on the US stopovers.

But more seriously would the sightseeing cause the pilots any problems?

He may be but he also looks likely to be a minister in the next government, it would be very interesting if SF want to take a stronger line on the US stopovers.

Google "Machloop".
    It's not sightseeing. It's a navigation exercise.

Iv seen the Mach Loop vids. Very cool indeed and I wouldnt mind seeing it in real life.

I cant help but think a C-17 doing low level tactical flying at high speed and taking the roof off Tommy-Joes hayshed flying 15 feet over it would cause more problems. :pac::pac:

Google "Machloop".
    It's not sightseeing. It's a navigation exercise.

No, it was definitely sightseeing.

Lol, no.

Even if SF got 79 seats, which they wouldn't as their ceiling would be approx 50, it will always be a Govt of the other 81.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭davetherave

I wonder is it just that it is a Yank plane that he has a problem with?

Looking back through his tweets there is no mention of the French Air Force place that landed in Shannon on the 13th of this month?

No mention of outrage for the Canadian that came in on the fifth of May either?

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No, it was definitely sightseeing.

I bet you are one of those people who asks a question in a class at 3.45 on a friday evening...

SHH!

I wonder is it just that it is a Yank plane that he has a problem with?

Looking back through his tweets there is no mention of the French Air Force place that landed in Shannon on the 13th of this month?

No mention of outrage for the Canadian that came in on the fifth of May either?

Perfectly happy when the yanks were bringing over guns for his comrades in the North.

I bet you are one of those people who asks a question in a class at 3.45 on a friday evening...

SHH!

Lols. Yes.

• Advertisement

Perfectly happy when the yanks were bringing over guns for his comrades in the North.

Of course, that’s just fine. I also love his bs about locals being concerned about the size of the C17, it’s not the first time they’ve been here ffs. And Murphy can just shut the feck up.

sparky42 wrote: »
    Of course, that’s just fine. I also love his bs about locals being concerned about the size of the C17, it’s not the first time they’ve been here ffs. And Murphy can just shut the feck up.

They were scared of the Giant metal bird!
    Hope they didn't see the giant flying dolphin today...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Are all Irish airports/aerodromes able to handle the big US transports?

Steyr 556 wrote: »

it is smaller than a 747

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Is it some kind of Memorandum of Understanding we have signed with the likes of France and the USA that allows them to land transports at Irish airports? Or does it only really matter if they were fighter aircraft or something?

Is it some kind of Memorandum of Understanding we have signed with the likes of France and the USA that allows them to land transports at Irish airports? Or does it only really matter if they were fighter aircraft or something?

We don’t have any MoUs regarding flights, like the helicopter earlier in the week I imagine the US had got agreement from the DFA for the flight and landing.

Dublin and Shannon can handle anything that flies. The larger C-5 Super Galaxy would have landed at both as part of the fleet that accompanies US Presidents on visits.

For the others, including Casement AD, it would likely depend on fuel and cargo load limits. But also, these military transports are massively powerful compared to large civilian planes, in order that they can take off, quickly, steeply and over relatively short distances on runway, even when fully laden.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

No US stop overs but take their money no problem buddy.

Psychlops wrote: »
    No US stop overs but take their money no problem buddy.

The shinner way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

No, Diplomatic clearance is sought & either approved or not approved, the French among others are into Shannon alot as its well known for crosswind training & then usually head back to France or do a nav exercise cross country, its the same with other Militaries & most are for fuel or a Crew rest.

In fact it is no different to our Air Corps ladies & gents doing it in other Nations, PC12 "280" is only so new & when she started service & since then has literally been spotted all over Europe/UK either on a tasking or a Nav Ex along with the rest of the PC12 Fleet.

Advertisement