Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭jonnybigwallet

Do the British or Spanish ever use the AC facilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Do the British or Spanish ever use the AC facilities?

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭davydoc

The RAF will ONLY protect our air space IF the threat is ALSO a threat to theirs, otherwise it's every country for itself I'd imagine...

Sorry - that relates to a post WAY up the thread - probably already addressed elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

davydoc wrote: »
    The RAF will ONLY protect our air space IF the threat is ALSO a threat to theirs, otherwise it's every country for itself I'd imagine...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30748619.html

• Advertisement

Surprised at that, tbh, but see it hasn't been officially confirmed...

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

They must be warming the pc9 at moment just to scare those White Russians

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Gary kk wrote: »
    They must be warming the pc9 at moment just to scare those White Russians

Casa's are having their Bomb racks fitted as we speak...............

• Registered Users Posts: 24,081 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Since the other plane called Spectre is the AC-130 Spectre gunship, maybe the PC-12s have a party piece where gatling guns and 20mm cannons appear from nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I see a single pilot got his wings today is it a bit unusual for a single person to qualify on there own?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

roadmaster wrote: »
    I see a single pilot got his wings today is it a bit unusual for a single person to qualify on there own?

Yes.

The class of 2021 everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Heraldoffreeent

Thats the lad who landed the PC-9 without an engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭irishrgr

A few days behind the SLAM69 flight.....the Shinner asking questions of the DoD is going to be very disappointed when he gets back the answer along the lines of "this was a routine flight, diplomatic clearances were approved ahead, flight plan was approved, yours etc....." boring. Funny how he didn't ask the minister about the Bear incursion a while back, and I'd submit the Bear was much more of a hazard to navigation than a very cooperative C17 crew doing a bit of sightseeing.

As someone said, this sort of thing goes on all the time, planes come & go. And yes, C17's can land and take off on very short runways, Baldonnell would be no bother. Crew won't get in any trouble, they followed the rules, didn't do anything untoward. Flight crews do this sort of thing from time to time, fly over a cool spot or the likes. The only ones who get in trouble are the ones who do dangerous or silly things (drawing giant phallus' in the sky sort of thing), otherwise its routine.

The US air crews I've spoken to always like stopping in Ireland. It's different than the usual spots (UK, Germany, etc.), they are treated very well, good hospitality and we're nice to them. Fair play to SLAM69, well played them.

**** Sinn Féin.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Larbre34 wrote: »
    **** Sinn Féin.

Well , they're the largest political party in the state -(according to polls ) , so maybe you're gonna have to get used to them ... ( Considering their current TDs that's a scary prospect )

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Markcheese wrote: »
    Well , they're the largest political party in the state -(according to polls ) , so maybe you're gonna have to get used to them ... ( Considering their current TDs that's a scary prospect )

Matters not a jot.

Even if they got 79 seats (which they won't) it'd still be a grand coalition of 81 against them. This talk of an inevitability of SF in Govt is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭roadmaster

France are selling second hand Rafales to Croatia for 1 billion euros. How much would they cost to run yearly I wonder

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20210528-croatia-to-buy-12-used-rafale-fighter-jets-from-france-for-%E2%82%AC1-billion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

[PHP][/PHP]
    Matters not a jot.

Even if they got 79 seats (which they won't) it'd still be a grand coalition of 81 against them. This talk of an inevitability of SF in Govt is nonsense.

While it’s the last thing I want to see happen(both because of their history and the track record in NI), at some stage they will be in government, next time Martin will be out as FF leader and there’s going to be a strong wing to do business with the Shinners, hell there is now within FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭source

France are selling second hand Rafales to Croatia for 1 billion euros. How much would they cost to run yearly I wonder

https://www.france24.com/en/europe/20210528-croatia-to-buy-12-used-rafale-fighter-jets-from-france-for-%E2%82%AC1-billion

Smaller population, smaller gdp, similar defence budget. They are replacing Eastern block jets as opposed to building the capability from scratch but there's still a lot of comparison there. Though having said that Croatia is a member of NATO and probably why they're getting the deal they're getting. The 1bn is getting them the airframes, weapons and training so a very very good deal for them for that aircraft.

• Advertisement

source wrote: »
    Smaller population, smaller gdp, similar defence budget. They are replacing Eastern block jets as opposed to building the capability from scratch but there's still a lot of comparison there. Though having said that Croatia is a member of NATO and probably why they're getting the deal they're getting. The 1bn is getting them the airframes, weapons and training so a very very good deal for them for that aircraft.

There’s also some tension with Serbia who have got new Migs from Russia recently which is driving some of the procurement as well. But yeah it’s a nice deal for them, but also for France who now extend the production line and replace older versions with brand new ones while getting an export customer, wonder if like the Greek deal (or Egyptian one) they might be loaning the money?

NATO or not, if we approached fellow EU members through the Defence channels, I imagine we'd get a good deal on pretty much any surplus or previous generation kit that we wanted. But we just won't.

NATO or not, if we approached fellow EU members through the Defence channels, I imagine we'd get a good deal on pretty much any surplus or previous generation kit that we wanted. But we just won't.

Of course, like I said I’m damn full sure France would be delighted to give us a similar deal, it’s brilliant for them each way. Same as how I’ve argued which should pick one European large force and just tack orders for vehicles etc to them, they may not be 100% what we want but the scaling impact and supply chains should offset that, far better than our current procurement “policies”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

**** Sinn Féin.

[Mod]Not a very useful comment, is it?

Try to be a little more relevant to this subforum, please. Who knows, they may end up in power one day as the lawful authority over the defence forces (Or whatever the term is).
    [/Mod]

Don't worry, I didn't intend it to be at all useful for a second.

And if they do end up as the Government with control over ÓnhÉ, they are going to get very confused over which one of their Óglaigh na hÉireanns they are talking about at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

[Mod]Not a very useful comment, is it?

Try to be a little more relevant to this subforum, please. Who knows, they may end up in power one day as the lawful authority over the defence forces (Or whatever the term is).
    [/Mod]

At which point Ireland will turn into the Balkans circa 1992. No thank you.

While they continue to have an armed terrorist wing which they like to celebrate, refer to as Oglaigh na hEreann (the proper title of the Irish Defence forces), who are responsible for the death of a member of the Actual irish Defence Force, and numerous police officers of the state, whose prosecution they have resisted, they have no legitimacy as a proper political party on this island.
    They are playing to the DF voter at present, promising to get fair pay and conditions, but NOWHERE on their manifesto does it suggest increasing the defence budget to fund this. They are populists, and little more. They attach themselves to whatever cause will win them votes.
    Their Border poll promise goes no further than "once we vote for unity, all those who oppose it must leave".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

Dohvolle wrote: »
    At which point Ireland will turn into the Balkans circa 1992. No thank you.

While they continue to have an armed terrorist wing which they like to celebrate, refer to as Oglaigh na hEreann (the proper title of the Irish Defence forces), who are responsible for the death of a member of the Actual irish Defence Force, and numerous police officers of the state, whose prosecution they have resisted, they have no legitimacy as a proper political party on this island.
    They are playing to the DF voter at present, promising to get fair pay and conditions, but NOWHERE on their manifesto does it suggest increasing the defence budget to fund this. They are populists, and little more. They attach themselves to whatever cause will win them votes.
    Their Border poll promise goes no further than "once we vote for unity, all those who oppose it must leave".

Probably the most important, and accurate, sentence written on Boards today.

The rest of the post is spot on, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

**** Sinn Féin.

Love Sinn Fein lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

From https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/concerns-raised-over-russian-military-aircraft-flying-in-irish-airspace-m3v9f09jg
    The Irish Aviation Authority has raised the issue of incursions by foreign military aircraft into Irish airspace in its submission to the Commission on the Future of the Defence Forces.

The commission last week published a heavily redacted version of the IAA submission, which removed all references to the matter. The redactions were made at the request of the IAA, citing national security concerns.

• Advertisement

Very interesting.

No coincidence, perhaps, that the great Commandant Jim Gavin is Ass. Director of the IAA.

Advertisement