Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Larbre34 wrote: »
    If anything has become clear over the last while and indeed for about the last 60 years, it's that in the very, very unlikely eventuality of Ireland being subject to foreign aggression, even from Britain, that the United States would intercede on our side.

But thats by the by, we are talking here about normal peacetime security and defence.

We need to abandon the sham that is neutrality so and admit to the taxpayer that we rely on others to defend our sea and skies.
    Be honest about it at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I hope those of us not connected to the military or political establishment, but with some knowledge and an interest in the subject, will be prepared to come out and say precisely that, if the Commission on Defence soft soaps their findings on that in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/secret-defence-pact-allowing-raf-jets-inirish-airspace-undermines-our-neutrality-says-td-berry-40526069.html?fbclid=IwAR33KNT1r3oP8N4CT7i8PsMv1D338o1d6hADFU_5aINt5DXO0C-gZTeZLXI

its gathering so much transaction that some one Twitter is tagging the air corp in Gripen photo shops with Irish air corps emblems on them.

Seen that mock up before, it looks deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭roadmaster

• Advertisement

Subcontract it out? We're already subcontracting it out!

roadmaster wrote: »

The Kfir is a horrendous looking aircraft and sounds like a Vulcan. Seen two of them
    in Columbia years ago.

I can’t ever see them outsourcing to another company to provide state security. There is already friction over the tender for the coast guard and CHC doing that post.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

NZ had a fast jet squadron once as part of NATO but they have since farmed it out to Australia as it was two expensive. they probably have those pilots seconded to Australian airforce much like you see RAF pilots flying US jets.

The half arsed way Ireland does so many things including the military is embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

NZ had a fast jet squadron once as part of NATO but they have since farmed it out to Australia as it was two expensive. they probably have those pilots seconded to Australian airforce much like you see RAF pilots flying US jets.

The half arsed way Ireland does so many things including the military is embarrassing.

Ah, no they aren’t NATO is North Atlantic, they were I think part of SEATO before that collapsed but that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

I think after listening to Pat Kenny earlier that they are pushing for the FA 50. Pat named dropped it by accident as well. So they may have been talking before the show.

• Advertisement

Gary kk wrote: »
    I think after listening to Pat Kenny earlier that they are pushing for the FA 50. Pat named dropped it by accident as well. So they may have been talking before the show.

Likely to be the only user of the FA model in Western Europe... Yep that would continue the trend of the AC getting screwed.

sparky42 wrote: »
    Likely to be the only user of the FA model in Western Europe... Yep that would continue the trend of the AC getting screwed.

Are they really going for that model? Is there anything online about it? That’s a very strange purchase it’s modern but that’s about it. From what I’m reading on it(because I’m bored in work) is that it’s affordable and fast.

The way you think New Zealand is in NATO is also pretty embarrassing.

Are they really going for that model? Is there anything online about it? That’s a very strange purchase it’s modern but that’s about it. From what I’m reading on it(because I’m bored in work) is that it’s affordable and fast.

Well Berry is talking about it, the DOD isn’t talking about anything, they have their hands full with other projects. But yeah I can see people just picking it randomly, leaving out there’s no other users anywhere close to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

The way you think New Zealand is in NATO is also pretty embarrassing.

A do one! they are in a battle group with Australia who are the largest none nato contributing force

Well Berry is talking about it, the DOD isn’t talking about anything, they have their hands full with other projects. But yeah I can see people just picking it randomly, leaving out there’s no other users anywhere close to us.

Yeah i thought that, there isnt any hype about it normal there is a leak of some sort, Iraq only got because Lockheed Martin pushed them to it. They are the closet user of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭roadmaster

They probably think because Hyundai have a good dealer network here parts wont be an issue!

roadmaster wrote: »
    They probably think because Hyundai have a good dealer network here parts wont be an issue!

Or haven’t even looked at how the CASAs and PC 9s go back to get work done, supporting 12-16 of them will be a nightmare, just look at the issues the Australians have had with supporting the Tiger.

A do one! they are in a battle group with Australia who are the largest none nato contributing force

What?

Yeah i thought that, there isnt any hype about it normal there is a leak of some sort, Iraq only got because Lockheed Martin pushed them to it. They are the closet user of it.

Nah, there’s no way DOD are even looking at Jets, hell they were bitching about fighting Defence systems to the 295s... Buying things that might have weapons on them... Hell no.

• Advertisement

Yes, I understand the fitting of GPMGs to the AW139s caused a spike in sick leave at the Did and a communal dish of Xanax to appear in the canteen.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Oscar Madison

Gary kk wrote: »
    Lol do you really think the UK would invade?

This is not about fighting the UK this is about looking after our own air space in a effective manner.

We can't even protect our economy!

My point is that there are better placed countries probably doing that already!

Australia are part of the AUSCANNZUKUS with New Zealand. They collaborate with NATO but they are not nato.

Australia are part of the AUSCANNZUKUS with New Zealand. They collaborate with NATO but they are not nato.

Probably easier just to call them the “Five Eyes”

Yes, I understand the fitting of GPMGs to the AW139s caused a spike in sick leave at the Did and a communal dish of Xanax to appear in the canteen.

I reckon that is compo, lads in the 90s practicing in the Glen on the artillery guns. They were told use weapons without proper ear plugs. A few hundred soldier went sick due to concussion and deafness and sued the DF. Now that I think I of it, if they aren’t willing to spend cash on something you can bulk buy from Crazy Prices I doubt they will invest in a jet. When do we start learning Russian lol.

Probably easier just to call them the “Five Eyes”

True but same thing really…just another irrelevant alliance tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

Kinda holed your own canoe with that one.

Even so, in a country with over 3,000 homeless children one will have a difficult time persuading people to spend tens or hundreds of millions on jets to "defend our own airpsace" against something.
    the homeless issue is easily fixed, if they were bothered, in my opinion. but we're the besty chaps in the EU on certain things so we'll continue on fannying around with direct provision, illegal immigration , slum landlords, no rent controls, no price controls of housing, yada yada yada. homelessness is by design. we're spending 3 - 4 billion on a childrens hospital in an idiotic place. we have 2 taoiseachs on half a million betweeen them and big fat pensions, they'd sort it if they wanted to.
    we should be protecting our seas and air, from criminals basically. might be better off with some kind of high speed helicopters that troops could deploy from to say a ship importing drugs, maybe a really high speed recon plane to scout ahead too.

or as others suggest, just pay the english to do it

The fastest helicopter in the world is only 80% the speed of a PC-9M. Lets keep it realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

I think if we get anything, like it or not the EU will help out with funding. In doing so we can rule out any hope of an aircraft not built, or part built in the EU.
    Yet another reason to put the KAI FA50 out of our minds completely.
    It was offered to Croatia, it failed to pass muster, they went with the Rafale instead.
    Spain was in talks for 50 of the basic trainer type, but they were exchanging them for 5 Airbus A400s.
    Poland selected the M346 over the T50.
    There are currently just 12 FA 50 in service, 36 if you also include the Iraqi variant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Do they have a faster model of the M346? Seems just a bit slow

Advertisement