Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭celticWario

I really don't think we need fighter jets, as we would never be in a situation where maintaining air superiority would be necessary. Our main concern in relation to national defence is monitoring our vast territorial waters, mainly against drug trafficking but also against illegal fishing and other things, reconnaissance planes, helicopters and bolstering our naval fleet is urgently needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I really don't think we need fighter jets, as we would never be in a situation where maintaining air superiority would be necessary. Our main concern in relation to national defence is monitoring our vast territorial waters, mainly against drug trafficking but also against illegal fishing and other things, reconnaissance planes, helicopters and bolstering our naval fleet is urgently needed.

Those are all constabulary type duties though i.e. carried out by paramilitary, coast guard or police elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭sparky42

donvito99 wrote: »
    Those are all constabulary type duties though i.e. carried out by paramilitary, coast guard or police elsewhere.

Ah no they aren’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,437 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Dohvolle wrote: »
    The Political will is there.
    The public's opinion doesn't count.

who has shown the political will to spend money supporting this?

sparky42 wrote: »
    Ah no they aren’t.

I forgot this thread was an all year panto.

Why would you join the Defence Forces to spend 4 months away from home checking fishing nets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I forgot this thread was an all year panto.

Why would you join the Defence Forces to spend 4 months away from home checking fishing nets?

He's right, they aren't.

The Naval Service does the work that in other countries are done by the Navy, the Coastguard, the Border Force, the DEA, the Customs, dedicated fisheries enforcement bodies and a bunch of NGOs.

The same lads checking fishing nets will the next day be putting on body armour and loading a rifle or a pistol to get into a Rhib and intercept cargo ships and sailing vessels in some of the busiest and most lucrative drug transit waters in the World, plied by some of the most ruthless criminals and people traffickers going.

The question is, would you join up to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Yes I see the shots, but they were nowhere near the direction of the ship - which is what the UK are saying.

Ill bet the Russians were recording as many radar and other electronic transmissions from the destroyer as it went on it's way and were testing it's reaction times. they are very aware of the Type's capability,especially when it comes to anti-aircraft functions.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    He's right, they aren't.

The Naval Service does the work that in other countries are done by the Navy, the Coastguard, the Border Force, the DEA, the Customs, dedicated fisheries enforcement bodies and a bunch of NGOs.

The same lads checking fishing nets will the next day be putting on body armour and loading a rifle or a pistol to get into a Rhib and intercept cargo ships and sailing vessels in some of the busiest and most lucrative drug transit waters in the World, plied by some of the most ruthless criminals and people traffickers going.

The question is, would you join up to do it?

The Naval Service does not perform the work "that in other countries [is] done by the Navy" - no anti-air, anti-sub, anti-surface. Perhaps if there was less log book inspections and interdiction of yachts, we might be able to retain more people and put together a proper defence when push comes to shove?

The NS should only be intercepting yachts full of cocaine or fishing boats with irregular log books when the coast guard, sea fisheries protection authority or the Guards are stuck. Otherwise they should spend all of their time training for their primary purpose, with the odd boarding thrown in to maintain those skills and regular deployments overseas to make the job worthwhile and ensure that crews can think on their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Larbre34 wrote: »
    He's right, they aren't.

Because other countries,many of whom are our friends in the EU,arm their Coasties, Border guards, Customs and Drug enforcement agencies,so that when they turn up, they mean business and they patrol their waters intensively. We run two maritime aircraft ragged to patrol a huge EEZ so naturally,our best surveillance device is going to miss things, such as ships bearing contraband or fishermen being naughty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Have any of the major parties said anything about Defence other than "aren't we brilliant at peacekeeping" or "if your town floods, I have two dozen infantrymen to fill sandbags"?

There is no political will to actually defend the state conventionally, other than in the cyber sphere potentially.

It does in that they've elected people who do not care.

The labour party actually included it in their election manifesto last time round.
    https://www.labour.ie/manifesto/restoring-our-defence-forces/

We elect the people who will speak for us at local level. Ireland hasn't got that the TD is not the local councillor as well any more. They are elected to speak on behalf of all Ireland, not just where their constituency is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Ah no they aren’t.

I am trying to think of anything that the Naval Servcice does which the US Coast Guard does not do, or at least, is not equipped to do.

Indeed, if fully kitted out, I’d not put money against a single Bertholf class cutter taking on the entire Irish Naval Service and Air Corps put together in a fight and winning.

If it weren’t for the nominal task of “defend the State against foreign aggression”, (a secondary function of the US Coast Guard) there seems no difference at all between the activities of the Naval Service vs Coast Guard either in territorial or distant waters.

I am trying to think of anything that the Naval Servcice does which the US Coast Guard does not do, or at least, is not equipped to do.

Indeed, if fully kitted out, I’d not put money against a single Bertholf class cutter taking on the entire Irish Naval Service and Air Corps put together in a fight and winning.

If it weren’t for the nominal task of “defend the State against foreign aggression”, (a secondary function of the US Coast Guard) there seems no difference at all between the activities of the Naval Service vs Coast Guard either in territorial or distant waters.
    Well yes but the US Coast Guard is effectively a military service as well, a far different animal to most of the European “Coast Guards”. I mean the US Coast Guard had everything up to Harpoon missiles during the Cold War.

Well yes but the US Coast Guard is effectively a military service as well, a far different animal to most of the European “Coast Guards”. I mean the US Coast Guard had everything up to Harpoon missiles during the Cold War.

No "effectively" about it, they are a military branch.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

No "effectively" about it, they are a military branch.

Above or below Space Force?

Gary kk wrote: »

Space Force (what a stupid name) is the youngest service, so Coast Guard would be senior to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

I enjoyed that show. Even if the actual Space Force was sometimes funnier...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Isnt the US coast guard on its own in the top ten biggest navys in the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

We're above and beyond that....

https://youtu.be/E8m5wvhkEGY

I was surprised to see just how far from home the US Coast Guard Operated

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/navy-ships/a36398782/iran-harasses-us-ships-strait-hormuz-coast-guard-fires-shots/

Flinty997 wrote: »
    We're above and beyond that....

https://youtu.be/E8m5wvhkEGY

That was a great show

• Advertisement

In reality or according to Steve carell?

In reality or according to Steve carell?

I thought that was a live in documentary

This famous photgraph on D-Day was taken by a member of the coast guard. the coast guard manned Landing Craft for the invasion

800px-Into_the_Jaws_of_Death_23-0455M_edit-600x483.jpg

This famous photgraph on D-Day was taken by a member of the coast guard. the coast guard manned Landing Craft for the invasion

800px-Into_the_Jaws_of_Death_23-0455M_edit-600x483.jpg

Impressive but what the **** was he thinking taking a picture at that moment?

Impressive but what the **** was he thinking taking a picture at that moment?

Because that was his job. He was there to document the invasion. this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_F._Sargent

This famous photgraph on D-Day was taken by a member of the coast guard. the coast guard manned Landing Craft for the invasion...

I'm not entirely sure wartime expediencies are a good example. Great photo though.

I'm not entirely sure wartime expediencies are a good example. Great photo though.

That’s the point, in War or Peace the US Coast Guard is an active service, their current deployments are no different than in any other decade.

No I don't see how one could win a well planned out attack. I mean I would throw some guys using Gustav recoilless on the p60s not to damage the cutter but to distract. One on one sure the cutter but not a coordinated attack.

That’s the point, in War or Peace the US Coast Guard is an active service, their current deployments are no different than in any other decade.

Are they doing amphibious landings against heavily defended beaches like that photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Well this discussion is deep in the ditch.

Advertisement