Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenland Express: Snow showers possible from Monday night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭mikeecho

So.. what's expected for cork city. ?

I haven't seen snow settling here for eons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I was able to climb to the top of drifts and almost touch the telephone wires as a 7-year old out in north Co. Dublin (around 130 m amsl). My friend's father's car was buried for a couple of days. My sister got lost in a blizzard going across the fields to the shop and my father found her a couple of hours later. Proper stuff, that. I haven't experienced a true blizzard since...except in Cleveland in Feb 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I was able to climb to the top of drifts and almost touch the telephone wires as a 7-year old out in north Co. Dublin (around 130 m amsl). My friend's father's car was buried for a couple of days. My sister got lost in a blizzard going across the fields to the shop and my father found her a couple of hours later. Proper stuff, that. I haven't experienced a true blizzard since.

One year.. I had to wipe a light dusting off the windscreen.

Having said that.. prolonged cold periods, mean lots of kerosene.. which means , expensive heating bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

mikeecho wrote: »
    One year.. I had to wipe a light dusting off the windscreen.

Having said that.. prolonged cold periods, mean lots of kerosene.. which means , expensive heating bills.

Yes, but 3 feet of snow on your roof is an excellent insulator...;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0109/843699-communities-snowed-in/

The 2nd half of the video on that page that was filmed in South Wicklow and north wexford
    The doctor interviewed is Gerry Liddy who died a few months ago
    The aer corps were air lifting him to a patient as all the roads were blocked
    In one part towards the end of the video,the aer corps man goes back out with food parcels saying ‘there’s people over there
    You can see the large drifts around the house
    That would have been on the Wicklow Wexford border

Very much enjoyed watching that. Except for the political bullcrap at the end of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

RobertKK wrote: »
    A blizzard isn't pleasant to be out in. You either need goggles and your face covered as natural instinct is to keep your head down to keep the snow out of your eyes, as there is snow blowing everywhere. Lying snow on the ground is whipped up, snow on roofs is is added to the snow falling and you just have snow like everywhere...
    Last proper blizzard here on the hills in north Kilkenny was at the end of March 2010.

That blizzard on 30 March 2010 was the stuff of dreams!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

So what were the actual snow depths from that blizzard in 1982?

5zjaFCD.png

Courtesy of Met Éireann.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

The excellence of the 3 foot roof snow insulation comes a cropper a tad ,it must be said when the roof caves in :p

sryanbruen wrote: »
    5zjaFCD.png

Courtesy of Met Éireann.

Unfortunately that is a case of more stations needed at that time,lots of areas would have had more than 25cms of fallen snow

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Unfortunately that is a case of more stations needed at that time,lots of areas would have had more than 25cms of fallen snow

It was far more than 10in around my way double it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

The big freeze 1982,Six Air Corps helicopters flew twenty seven ambulance missions and eleven food drops. "More food drops are planned including the village of Newcastle in County Dublin which has been cut off for days"

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2017/0109/843625-freezing-weather-continues/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Rain,schleet and possibly some snow in the forecast their by Jerry Murphy.

The fear in his face was evident.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

The ‘pub’ runs should be interesting........ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭typhoony

map at the end of the forecast showed 1c for Wednesday and Thursday, but they haven't factored in the low that may or may not cross the country, 18z gfs just starting to roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-01-15&lat=54.596&lon=-5.9301

Yellow warning details
    Snow & ice

Between 18:00 Mon 15th and 23:55 Tue 16th
    Frequent and heavy hail and snow showers are likely to affect many parts of Scotland and Northern Ireland from Monday evening, continuing for much of the day on Tuesday. Travel delays on roads are possible, with a small chance of cancellations to public transport. There is a small chance that power cuts will occur and other services, such as mobile phone coverage, may be affected. In addition some roads and pavements may become icy, increasing the chance of injuries from slips and falls. This warning has been updated to include more of Northern Ireland.
    Further details

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Surinam

Great video here of the 1982 snow between Ratoath and Dunshaughlin in Meath: https://youtu.be/rLzvI_wxW3U lots of cars stranded!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

kittyn wrote: »
    The ‘pub’ runs should be interesting........ :)
    I know where this is going, I've seen enough! :mad:

gfs-0-150.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭kittyn

gfs-0-150.png?18

:((

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

On track. The gap on Wednesday night is there but the cold snap looks to strongly resume Thursday morning with further snow showers.

P.S We are looking at disruption in a lot of the country Wednesday morning at the moment. A lot of snow showers driving in through Tuesday night and probably merging to longer spells of snow. Important to note for commuters.

gfs-1-72.png?18

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

gfs-0-150.png?18

Elmer, might a holiday in the Azores paid for by the rest of us cure your phobia?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Comhra wrote: »

That’s the best one yet I’ve seen
    That’s pretty much exactly what the road from Arklow out to my house looked like,with any roads at crosses etc blocked and in cleared
    I remember being in Arklow at a friends house,I walked in
    They offered to drive me home but only got half a mile or so and had to give up
    Good times :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Before I was born, that.

How long did it take the snow to melt, specifically the piled snow by roadsides?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭squarecircles

With all the excitement about potential snow are we overlooking the potential storm that could batter the east on Wednesday, it's there again on the 18z gfs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Comhra wrote: »

I've never seen that video before and it was filmed within 1km of where I live. The very end of the video shows very high snow depths on the laneway into the farm.

That is what my road was like all the way to Dunshaughlin except that the road wasn't cleared of snow for nearly a week. Cars were stranded/buried under snow and the drifts became icey allowing us to walk on top of them.

After about 5 days the neighbourhood got together and managed to get someone to drive a JCB and clear the snow, all 2km of it between my house and the village of Dunshaughlin.

We could not get to the shops for 5 days and nobody went to work. School was shut for well over 2 weeks.

When the roads were cleared, the snow 'mountains' at the side of the roads were several meters high. Once the thaw set in and normal level snow was melted, it took till March for the snow 'mountains' on sides of roads and footpaths to fully melt.

The second morning the blizzard was the strangest one. We work up and opened the front door and the snow fell into the house because the drift was higher than the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Is any model with precipitation charts we can view, besides the gfs, actually showing snow next week? The likes of gem, icon, aperge arent....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Is any model with precipitation charts we can view, besides the gfs, actually showing snow next week? The likes of gem, icon, aperge arent....

Nothing significant, the ICON picks up some snow over NI and both it and APERGE show snow over Wicklow.

ICON - if temps dropped an extra degree or two we'd be talking.
    iconeu_uk1-42-102-0.png?13-22

This is as far out as WRF goes, trying to give us streamers.
    nmmuk-42-72-0.png?13-18

Looks like if the showers are beefy enough and there are enough of them on Tuesday PM / night we will get some action. The more organised band of precip by far is Wednesday night into Thursday. That - if cold enough - would cause proper disruption. But for now, only GFS giving us snow from it, everyone else seems to want it to rain.

But several only go to +48hrs so tomorrow's 18Z and Monday's 00Z will help. Eyes on the HIRLAM particularly as MÉ use this together with Harmonie and aren't usually too far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Was there much snow in Dublin city & low lying areas in '82?

The videos look quite similar to the blizzard that hit Antrim in March 2013

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-21919522

article-0-18E5337B000005DC-7_964x587.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Was there much snow in Dublin city & low lying areas in '82?

The videos look quite similar to the blizzard that hit Antrim in March 2013

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-21919522

article-0-18E5337B000005DC-7_964x587.jpg

that is similar to the Dunshaughlin, Ratoath, Ashbourne countryside areas during the 1982 blizzard. I think the narrow roads and high ditches just made the problem worse. On national routes the snow didn't look as deep.

• Advertisement

Before I was born, that.

How long did it take the snow to melt, specifically the piled snow by roadsides?

Several weeks despite pelting rain

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement