Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenland Express: Snow showers possible from Monday night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The showers will begin transitioning to snow more broadly in the northwest over the next few hours. The snow level is progressively falling. Knock reporting Sleet at 5 pm.

Probably snow beginning to settle before midnight in the northwest and north.

Reckon it will be after midnight before snowfall becomes more widespread in showers and begins falling to lower levels elsewhere.

Interesting night ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Those high res GFS charts will just cause you disappointment.

e.g. compare these two high res charts for same time period
    438737.png

438738.png

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Villain wrote: »
    Latest GFS brings the system Wednesday evening about 100 miles south which could mean snow again for Ulster, interesting to watch.

Updated Weather Warnings:
    STATUS YELLOW

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick

Westerly winds will reach mean winds speeds of 50 to 65 km/h with gusts of 90 to 110km/h at times. Winds will moderate for a time during Wednesday but further wind warnings likely for Wednesday night.
    Issued:
    Monday 15 January 2018 10:00
    Valid:
    Monday 15 January 2018 21:00 to Wednesday 17 January 2018 03:00

STATUS YELLOW

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland

Snow showers will affect Ulster and Connacht tonight and will extend to most other areas late in the night and during Tuesday morning. Some accumulations of snow are likely, especially in northern and western areas and over hills elsewhere, along with some slippery conditions.
    Issued:
    Monday 15 January 2018 16:20
    Valid:
    Tuesday 16 January 2018 23:00 to Wednesday 17 January 2018 03:00

STATUS YELLOW

Weather Advisory for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick

High or very high seas are going to affect the Atlantic Seaboard over the next few days, leading to an increased risk of coastal flooding.
    Issued:
    Monday 15 January 2018 13:00
    Valid:
    Monday 15 January 2018 21:00 to Thursday 18 January 2018 09:00

Is it just a missprint saying the Valid time is Tuesday 23.00? Surely it should say today 23.00? Sorry if it's a stupid question!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Pangea wrote: »
    Heard it's snowing on the Glenshane Pass

It snows there in July 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I'm based outside of Derry, have had sleet/rain showers since midday, progressively getting colder as the day goes.  Currently around 3c here.  Now... back to watching my lamppost :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭downwiththatsor

Latest Euro4 just out is still looking ok
    18011621_1512.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    Is it just a missprint saying the Valid time is Tuesday 23.00? Surely it should say today 23.00? Sorry if it's a stupid question!!

Fixed in met page now..had just sent an email warning of snow tomorrow then saw this and thought I had made a mistake! Phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Now here's a weather forecast you don't see too often, Derry TAF for later:
    EGAE 151701Z 1518/1522 26015KT 9999 FEW015CB SCT020 TEMPO 1518/1522 28020G30KT 3000 SHRAGS SHRASN BKN008 BKN015CB PROB30 TEMPO 1518/1522 +TSGS PROB30 TEMPO 1520/1522 1200 SHSN BKN004

Thundergraupel!

If I didn't have to work tomorrow I'd stay up very late and watch lampposts.

The irony being that if it does snow, I probably won't be able to get to work in my rear-wheel drive car.

A very unfortunate paradox :(

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

How much snow does it look like North Offaly will get over tonight and tomorrow and North Kildare as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

The last couple of showers are a mix of sleet and wet snow here in the hills of s e Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

The lamp post watching begins when Mountainy Man chimes in!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Ballypatrick Forest on the Antrim coast reported 16 cm of lying snow this morning, but that's obviously an instrumental error. Maybe it was getting a bit ahead of itself...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sdanseo wrote: »
    Now here's a weather forecast you don't see too often, Derry TAF for later:

Thundergraupel!

I prefer Knocks TAF:
    TEMPO 1612/1618 0400 TSSNGS BKN002 BKN012CB

Thundersnowgraupel!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭typhoony

Knock Airport, recent snow, and so it begins

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭lillielad

Will it snow it Letterkenny going by the charts lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

lillielad wrote: »
    Will it snow it Letterkenny going by the charts lads?

No just around the Strabane area..you're going to miss out according to the ECM.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The GFS, at just 6 hours out, is already several degrees too low on dewpoint than actual 18Z observations and all other models, including the EURO4. Malin Head, for example, had a dewpoint of +1.8 °C, whereas the GFS had it at around -1 °C. It had widespread snow throughout western Scotland by now, but it's still raining.

Caveat emptor...

Actual observed dewpoints.

438759.png

GFS Dewpoints (12Z +6 hr)

438760.png
    438761.png

EURO4
    438762.png

ECM
    438763.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Violent squally shower passing through here now, may have been a flash in the distance, wind was so noisy I wouldn't hear a rumble anyway.

In East Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Violent squall passing through here now, may have been a flash in the distance, wind was so noisy I wouldn't hear a rumble anyway.

Am on mobile, where's here?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,179 ✭✭✭pad199207

JCX BXC wrote: »

E Galway :)

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »

I always use the full site on the mobile so I forget that you don't see locations on the touch site.
    Edited now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Yes quite a squally shower afew mintues ago in Galway...looking at the satellite images they are only getting going with much bigger showers on the way...they will be quite lively if the first showers are anything to go by...

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Serious hail in Westport. The showers are heavy and very squally.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Usually not a bad guide.

tempresult_prz9.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've told my kids there will be snow tonight in Dublin....guys please dont make a liar out of me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

pad199207 wrote: »
    E Galway :)

The 35th county of Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

I've told my kids there will be snow tonight in Dublin....guys please dont make a liar out of me :D

I don't think it will snow tonight in Dublin.

Turned over high ground in the north west. Snow level continues to fall here.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Rikand wrote: »
    The 35th county of Ireland

I'm practically in the midlands sure.
    Seriously though, it's a wide county where the weather varies alot due in no small part to the lovely Atlantic.

• Advertisement

D9Male wrote: »
    I don't think it will snow tonight in Dublin.

Chance increases through the early hours. After 3 am showers will be wintry at that stage and i'd expect snow showers by the commute.:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement