Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenland Express: Snow showers possible from Monday night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

I think we're running a bit behind schedule. Even the EURO4 is backtracking on every run. The 06Z had Ulster completely covered in snow at midnight tonight, the 12Z a bit less, and now the 18Z has just rain.

The whole of Ulster should currently be under a blanket of snow even going by the most recent GFS, this is only 6 hours out on the model so shows once again how poorly it handles snow

6-780UK_vdz7.GIF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Villain wrote: »

Down near mount Leinster/Bunclody area

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Down near mount Leinster/Bunclody area

Yep center of that Camera is Mount Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I think we're running a bit behind schedule. Even the EURO4 is backtracking on every run. The 06Z had Ulster completely covered in snow at midnight tonight, the 12Z a bit less, and now the 18Z has just rain.

Ive always been agnostic on this event (but hopeful as always), however the 18z euro 04 does follow a trend I identified earlier of those models going for snow doing so on a country wide basis. Whilst the euro 04 is now slower in introducing the snow to the north it has it country wide to mizen head by noon so still pretty bullish. As I said I remain to be convinced but this does look like an all duck or no dinner affair.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Euro4 00z chart is fairly accurate in an overall sense.

There is a little bit more snow around at the moment than was progged for midnight.

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

tZpnpiI.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

The whole of Ulster should currently be under a blanket of snow even going by the most recent GFS, this is only 6 hours out on the model so shows once again how poorly it handles snow

6-780UK_vdz7.GIF

I assumed most people just didn't pay any attention to these gfs snow cover charts. They were always rubbish and this thread is the first thread where I have seen people actually try to take them seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Heavy snow here in cavan. Not sticking because it’s to wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Most of the country is sub -7c at 850 hpa level by 6 am. Currently sub -4c generally at midnight.

18011606_1518.gif

The air aloft is also becoming progressively colder as lower thicknesses spread.

18011606_1518.gif

Most of the country is sub -7c at 850 hpa level by 6 am. Currently sub -4c generally at midnight.

The air aloft is also becoming progressively colder as lower thicknesses spread.

6 am is another story, but I'm just saying that at the moment we're running behind where the most optimistic models said we'd be now.

6 am is another story, but I'm just saying that at the moment we're running behind where the most optimistic models said we'd be now.

Possibly. I don't consider a few hours to be that big a deal for me.

It's behind compared to a couple of days a go for sure - but not by that much.

End product is what matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

At a good stage now with showers starting to turn over the North. Reckon there should be accumulations there down to lower levels by dawn at the latest. As stated above, the colder uppers (-41/-42 at 500hpa) are still a good 10-12 hours away. The apex of this event should be tomorrow afternoon/evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

In defence of the gfs, it was the first model to predict this cold spell and then the first model to predict Wednesday's interrupting low. in both cases all the other models followed suit so it has some (uncharacteristic!) credibility in terms of this cold spell.

Possibly. I don't consider a few hours to be that big a deal for me.

It's behind compared to a couple of days a go for sure - but not by that much.

End product is what matters.

Behind compared to 12 hours ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Snow reported at two stations in the North at midnight, Lough Fea (225 m) and Ballypatrick Forest (156 m). Rain elsewhere.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=010W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2018&mes=1&day=16&hora=0&min=0&vsg=Sg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Looks impressive,Init,but I'm highly dubious , especially at the immediate coast,cant foresee accumulations at the immediate coast,in what I call 'slosh' a fluctuating combination of hail,sleet and wet snow that won't accumulate.

Gosh,I feel like gaoth Laidir pissing all over the GFS snow charts.

Not saying the chart will materialise as depicted but it can happen - I will never forget seeing several inches of snow on the coastline (sandy beach) in Co Waterford in 1982. The snow was only washed away as the tide came in...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭piuswal

Anyone ever use

https://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Leinster/Dublin/

just plug in location

Showers further south, north of Munster are turning to sleet now.

Over Ulster increasingly of snow. More snow than sleet now but still a mix.

North midlands also increasingly showers are now falling as snow.

Here in North Dublin currently 2.9c/1.8c

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Hailstones here in SW Donegal, I have no doubt that further inland and on higher elevations it is falling as snow.

Here in North Dublin on the edge now. 2.0c/0.9c

Howth is a good barometer as well. 2.4c/1.1c there.

http://howthweather.com/

vws742.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

Rain rain rain :( Washout here in Buncrana. Not a bit of frost either.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

There are not many snow reports in the north as of yet. Also any settling snow seems to on high ground so far.

1.7/0.7c here. North Dublin.

Precipitation from now is quite likely to be snow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

It still sounds a lot like rain here in North Kildare.

So, I think we can say we're still waiting for those GFS and EURO4 snow charts to verify. Now 5 am and it's still mostly rain reports. And Donegal Airport moderate rain, dewpoikt +2. We need one hell of a swing in the next hour.

So, I think we can say we're still waiting for those GFS and EURO4 snow charts to verify. Now 5 am and it's still mostly rain reports, even in the North. Two stations above 150 m reporting snow. Donegal Airport moderate rain, dewpoint +2. We need one hell of a swing in the next hour.

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=010W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2018&mes=1&day=16&hora=5&min=0&vsg=Sg

Snowing at sea level, North Dublin.

Started as rain now light - moderate snow, not wet snow either. Quick transition too.

Bodes very well.

A reminder of what the GFS said we should be getting at 6 am.

438791.gif

Think you need to get over it :p

Snow shower finished here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,261 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Cold in bray but there's been much colder mornings recently than this. No ice around either. Hoping for something later on fingers crossed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement