Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenland Express: Snow showers possible from Monday night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Still snowing in mid Monaghan. Probably around 5 or 6 cm sitting on the roof of the car at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    I've only really been looking at the GFS, but going by that this event hasn't really started yet and I'd expect nothing much down here until 6pm so not really worried by the lack of activity at the moment.

That's correct, the high resolution models showed chance of appreciable snow for most areas won't start until after dark.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Light sleet shower (arriving) in Dublin 16. 3.2c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Heavy snow now coming down near the Wicklow gap and sticking

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Light sleet in D14.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 302 ✭✭dmcsweeney

STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork and Kerry
    This evening and for a time tonight, storm Fionn will bring very strong westerly winds to Atlantic coastal counties with mean wind speeds of 65 to 80 km/h and gusts of up to 120 km/hr, strongest near coasts with a risk of flooding.

Issued:Tuesday 16 January 2018 10:00
    Valid:Tuesday 16 January 2018 15:00 to Wednesday 17 January 2018 03:00

This could make things interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

dmcsweeney wrote: »
    STATUS ORANGE

Wind Warning for Donegal, Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Sligo, Clare, Cork and Kerry
    This evening and for a time tonight, storm Fionn will bring very strong westerly winds to Atlantic coastal counties with mean wind speeds of 65 to 80 km/h and gusts of up to 120 km/hr, strongest near coasts with a risk of flooding.

Issued:Tuesday 16 January 2018 10:00
    Valid:Tuesday 16 January 2018 15:00 to Wednesday 17 January 2018 03:00

This could make things interesting.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057830752

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Periscal

mallards wrote: »
    Heavy snow now coming down near the Wicklow gap and sticking

Hi Mallard, are you going down towards Hollywood from gap or dotards Glendalough, was wondering if it snowed in Hollywood from that passing shower just now, wet flakes appearing now in Tallaght finally

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Snow just ending here now. Easily the heaviest fall of snow of the season for here.

I should complain about the NWlys more often, seems i get a decent fall of snow right after it! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

pad199207 wrote: »
    Snow just ending here now. Easily the heaviest fall of snow of the season for here.

I should complain about the NWlys more often, seems i get a decent fall of snow right after it! :D

Did it stick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

A light shower of wet snow just passed Tallaght (100 m).

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Snow shower delgany...chunky flakes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭pad199207

Did it stick?

Just to the grass a bit

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Sleet turned briefly to wet snow here in Dublin 16. 2.8c atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Snowing very heavily here just outside Letterkenny, Co.Donegal now. Its hanging around too.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Heavy sleet Kilkenny just now

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The missus has just texted me to say she's seeing some flakes of snow from her office window in Leopardstown.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rain and mess of hail in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Alun wrote: »
    The missus has just texted me to say she's seeing some flakes of snow from her office window in Leopardstown.
    Just down the road in Blackrock and it's at best heavy sleet, but mostly just rain. The hills don't seem to have gotten anything more than a dusting, if even.

Loads of heavy squally showers here in north cork but not cold enough for snow. Such a waste!
    After 4/5 this evening we might have a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Grey skies here but no precipitation. The temperature and DP have risen as well. The temperature's now 2.9C and the DP's now above 0 @ 0.3C.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

seamus wrote: »
    Just down the road in Blackrock and it's at best heavy sleet, but mostly just rain. The hills don't seem to have gotten anything more than a dusting, if even.
    She's a little higher up than Blackrock, up near the racecourse, around 100m ASL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Rain to sleet shower with a few flakes mixed in just passed here. Expecting an interesting (but not not epic, obviously) afternoon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Loads of heavy squally showers here in north cork but not cold enough for snow. Such a waste!
    After 4/5 this evening we might have a chance.

Stupid question I know but when people say it's not cold enough for snow, how cold does it have to be?

Also, I often remember my mother saying it was too cold for snow, is this true?

pilly wrote: »
    Stupid question I know but when people say it's not cold enough for snow, how cold does it have to be?

I think dew points is the issue where I am anyway. Probably around 1 but need it around 0. I will let an expert explain fully!

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭snowjon

Whiteout in Belfast - really heavy snow now

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Periscal wrote: »
    Hi Mallard, are you going down towards Hollywood from gap or dotards Glendalough, was wondering if it snowed in Hollywood from that passing shower just now, wet flakes appearing now in Tallaght finally

Hollywood side. Snow has stopped for the minute with a light dusting. But if the showers can reach us they will turn to heavy snow up here for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Still mostly rain reports around the country.

Lying snow reported at 11 am:

Glenanne (161 m) 9 cm
    Lough Fea (225 m) 7 cm
    Ballypatrick Forest (156 m) 4 cm
    Knock Airport (200 m) 2 cm

The hills south of Dublin have a watery dusting above about 250 m.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

pilly wrote: »

3 Degrees C or less used to be the rule of thumb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement