Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenland Express: Snow showers possible from Monday night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Now snowing in co Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

[quote="sryanbruen;

Where are those pics from?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

From someone in Belfast:
    IMG_20180116_092747.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

[quote="sryanbruen;

Where are those pics from?

The top one is Belfast, the second one is Rathlin Island whilst the bottom one is from Donegal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Light sleet near Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭catrat12

Non event Dublin mountains
    Few big flakes for a minute then blue skies

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

catrat12 wrote: »
    Non event Dublin mountains
    Few big flakes for a minute then blue skies

It's only nearly 12, give it a chance there's the rest of the day to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

https://flic.kr/p/DSc7YP

https://flic.kr/p/229N6kx

Snowing very heavy here on the outskirts of letterkenny in flurry. Not snowing long enough for it to stick but it's trying hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

Snow falling in ferns co Wexford now not sticking but nice surprise didn’t think we would see any

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Heavy snow in North Kilkenny

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭torres9kop

Blizzards around the halfpenny bridge area

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Certainly the GFS charts yesterday had the entire country bathed in pink from noon so you can see already there the level of exaggeration they are prone to (unless there's a big 5 minutes coming up!)

torres9kop wrote: »
    Blizzards around the halfpenny bridge area

Nice try, that's an old pic, that was not taken today.

Certainly the GFS charts yesterday had the entire country bathed in pink from noon so you can see already there the level of exaggeration they are prone to (unless there's a big 5 minutes coming up!)

No chance down south until after about 4pm. I think we will see snow showers but unless very heavy nothing sticking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Starting to enter the more favourable phase now with colder uppers flooding in. Should be an interesting afternoon/evening right across the country. Shower activity quite impressive on radar

No chance down south until after about 4pm. I think we will see snow showers but unless very heavy nothing sticking.

The UK Met office app is expecting sleet around 1ish and snow showers from 2 onwards , wonder how accurate that is

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Seems to be a barrier around meath, showers breaking up when they get near here while snowing in counties around us, lol

The UK Met office app is expecting sleet around 1ish and snow showers from 2 onwards , wonder how accurate that is

I like it! I am using ventusky for the uppers and they say colder air arriving to Munster from about 4 on. Probably stop with the showers then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Heavy snow Roscrea - sticking to cars

1.9C dew -2

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Just looked at euro 04. Both dew points and uppers drop 2 or 3 degrees from noon to 6pm, likewise thickness down here goes from about 528 now to sub 520 by 6pm. Obviously the suns influence is gone by 6pm too. We are definitely not yet at the time of peak opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Re temperature required for snow, it's the wet-bulb temperature that's most important. Snow can fall at a temperature of up to 4 °C as long as the wbt is <0.6 °C. At that temperature the dewpoint would need to be at -5 °C or lower. To calculate wbt, it's just above half way between the dewpoint and temperature.

Current wbt around the country are hovering mostly around 1.0 or more, hence the very mixed precip at low levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

as per usual not a flake here, had a flurry for 3 seconds an hour ago and nothing else, i'm hearing from everyone here that you are getting some amount of snow in conties around me. I just don't get it, bothe east, west, north and south of my county is getting snow but not here. is there actually a barrier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Arklow
    Heavy rain shower
    No sign of a flake in this one

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Re temperature required for snow, it's the wet-bulb temperature that's most important. Snow can fall at a temperature of up to 4 °C as long as the wbt is <0.6 °C. At that temperature the dewpoint would need to be at -5 °C or lower. To calculate wbt, it's just above half way between the dewpoint and temperature.

Current wbt around the country are hovering mostly around 1.0 or more, hence the very mixed precip at low levels.
    Different criteria for sticking snow, and whether it'll stick on grass or all surfaces ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Rain in navan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

pad199207 wrote: »
    Just to the grass a bit

Enough to make snowballs? Or a mini snowman? Pics or it didn't happen.

Currently heavily sleeting in Cork City suburbs, better then rain that's for sure anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I'll have an interesting drive back home to limerick from Cork this evening..

That's what I'm worried about, tyres bald as coots, getting new ones on Saturday. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement