Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenland Express: Snow showers possible from Monday night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

In Kermit we trust

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

This is the heaviest of the showery activity now, with cloud tops up to around 5000 metres. Dewpoints are nowhere near the -4 forecast for now, which is why any snow is so wet and slushy. Still nowhere near the GFS chart's fantasy wonderland, which had all of Ireland and Scotland, and surrounding sea areas, 100% snow at all levels by now. Rain, sleet and wet snow are what we have at low levels. Certainly nothing to get excited about, given that 5 minutes after it passes we're left with a pool of slop. Typical of a northwesterly, and certainly nowhere close to the dry snow of 2010.

The north has done a bit better, though the lowest stations are reporting no lying snow. Ballypatrick Forest (160 m) had lying snow earlier but it's gone now.

Lying snow reports at 6 pm.

Glennane (160 m) 18 cm
    Lough Fea (225 m) 12 cm
    Thomastown (72 m) 4 cm
    Knock (205 m) 3 cm

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=010W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2018&mes=1&day=16&hora=18&min=0&vsg=Sg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

natashaob6 wrote: »
    Where I live back in 2010 temperatures reached -12 but we saw very little snow but we have already seen more snow fall this Winter than we did back then. So on the snow side of things I would compare this episode of snowy out break to the record breaking cold spell we had back in 2010. The snow showers are pretty intense but are not lasting long enough to lodge.

I think different parts of the country will have different opinions based on this winter so far as snowfall this winter is more localised. Northern Ireland is really having a good winter so far in terms of snow. They had plenty before Christmas and are getting alot again today and they are on track for alot more over the coming few days. Monaghan and Cavan could probably be included in this as well. The midlands and parts of Galway have done well this winter as well with some decent falls there. There are also parts of Cork and Kerry that have experienced a little bit more snow this winter too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

pauldry wrote: »
    If we are all positive anymore we will get more snow .... right

Wife just abandoned car

So off to that

Mine wouldn't drive hers home, had to go collect her after work, roads not too bad here, but she chickened out of driving home.
    Loads of heavy showers here all day, but wet snow, no real accumulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

Like a blizzard near Dundalk town last 20mins sticking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭aisling86

Just had a big snow shower which I missed! Roads white..just when I had given up hope near mallow.

The Macroom snow shield has broken down.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

This is the heaviest of the showery activity now, with cloud tops up to around 5000 metres. Dewpoints are nowhere near the -4 forecast for now, which is why any snow is so wet and slushy. Still nowhere near the GFS chart's fantasy wonderland, which had all of Ireland and Scotland, and surrounding sea areas, 100% snow at all levels by now. Rain, sleet and wet snow are what we have at low levels. Certainly nothing to get excited about, given that 5 minutes after it passes we're left with a pool of slop. Typical of a northwesterly, and certainly nowhere close to the dry snow of 2010.

The north has done a bit better, though the lowest stations are reporting no lying snow. Ballypatrick Forest (160 m) had lying snow earlier but it's gone now.

Lying snow reports at 6 pm.

Glennane (160 m) 18 cm
    Lough Fea (225 m) 12 cm
    Thomastown (72 m) 4 cm
    Knock (205 m) 3 cm

http://www.ogimet.com/cgi-bin/gsynop?lang=en&esc=2&nav=Yes&lat=55N&lon=010W&proy=orto&base=bluem&ano=2018&mes=1&day=16&hora=18&min=0&vsg=Sg

True, but objectively speaking, the GFS would seem to have performed better with regards the snowfall risk than the say the ECM and even Hirlam, which had nothing but rain down for me at least.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

aisling86 wrote: »

The Macroom shield was never the strongest! Much weaker than here anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Nice big fluffy dry flakes falling here at coastal Meath

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Serious blizzard like conditions with big snowflakes, turning things white, ground included if it can land but it's just too windy!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

that band of snow is overhead now, although so far it's not producing more than the odd snowgrain. I reckoned it has weakened again over this area.

Edit - sticking to everything

Missed that one RedSteve but quite gusty here now.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭NeonCookies

In Dundalk. Looked outside about half an hour ago and was happy to see a bit of a white sprinkling on the grass, but the path, stones and patio were clear. Just looked out again a minute ago and it's all white!

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Just hit -0.1C here.

A rare sight 50 metres from the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Holy crap, heavy snow shower in Bettystown and it’s sticking!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Meath, Mullingar, Dublin, Casement, Knock and Cavan all at 0C in the 19:00 reports.

light graupel here now, not really amounting to anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭RuthieRose

Rougies wrote: »
    Meath, Mullingar, Dublin, Casement and Cavan all at 0C in the 19:00 reports.

I can confirm it’s bloody cold in Cavan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Just been out walking around with the dogs - about 2-3cms here so not a huge amount but there was some lovely falls earlier and it looks like there could be more. It's dry and powdery snow and it came back in with me on my boots!

It's very cold here -

S Sligo
    90m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Mech1 wrote: »
    Never doubt De Frog!
    Rikand wrote: »
    Lovely lovely light covering of snow in athlone and gorgeous showers of it all day. Thanks Kermit for delivering on your promises!
    In Kermit we trust

438865.jpg

;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Swellan

Cavan town: maybe 1cm of snow after a few flurries. Sticking on cold surfaces. One flash of lightning about 60 minutes ago but nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

aisling86 wrote: »

Confirmed. I'm minding my nieces a few miles from macroom at roughly the same elevation and we've just had a decent shower of graupel and snow. Sticking to the cars but not the ground. Might be interesting back at home in Beal na Blath at 800 asl

still graupeling outside, paths turning white again.

Calibos wrote: »
    438865.jpg

;):D

Just opposite sides on the same spectrum. ;)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Gonzo wrote: »
    light graupel here now, not really amounting to anything.

Same, bulk intensity to the south in to Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

Heavy shower of about 20 mins just passed Tullamore - on its way east.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Same, bulk intensity to the south in to Kildare.

Ooooh cometh to me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭h7nlrp2v0g5u48

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think different parts of the country will have different opinions based on this winter so far as snowfall this winter is more localised. Northern Ireland is really having a good winter so far in terms of snow. They had plenty before Christmas and are getting alot again today and they are on track for alot more over the coming few days. Monaghan and Cavan could probably be included in this as well. The midlands and parts of Galway have done well this winter as well with some decent falls there. There are also parts of Cork and Kerry that have experienced a little bit more snow this winter too.

It just shows how complex the weather can be particulary here in Ireland regarding snow. Some counties get a good dusting and others don't see as much as a flake even though the temperatures might be colder. Where I live it's usually Artic Maratime air on a cold Northwesterly that pushes the wintry showers further southeast in to Tipperary. An Easterly or Northeasterly normally only produces a few flurries as the air is pretty dry and the showers weaken or die out befor they reach my area. Other than that if there is a blocking high over us causing freezing temperatures and a low approaches from the Athlantic bumping in to the cold air we usually get a good dumping before a southweasterly kicks in introducing mild air.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement