Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenland Express: Snow showers possible from Monday night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Plenty of lying sneachta on the estates around my part of Tallaght. Great to see! Fair play Kermit you never gave up the ghost!

Everyone helped. MT, Gaoth Laidir, George Sunsnow, Meteorite etc etc...

No Mystic Megs here!

A short lived event.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Speaking of Northern Ireland, here's some pics from my friend up there:

x2NwAUQ.jpg

UHkR1qg.jpg

q4qzngF.jpg

1xbcoEo.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭HighLine

Went for a spin up the Sally Gap a while ago and was very surprised to see such little amounts of snow. Probably only around 1" which is nothing for up there.

That said, great call by Kermit on this cold spell when hearing the reports from around the country especially considering how early he started this thread.

Photo is a forest path near the entrance to Luggala.

438877.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Just to keep today's M.E chart in the archives:

ISO_TODAY_ATL.png

To presumably demonstrate that a "westerly" in January can deliver some snow to lower levels. Yes it will be gone tomorrow, but for those who have not seen snow in a good while they will probably be glad to just have seen some snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    I bet that would be fun in an S2K:D

Have to go out shortly haha

• Advertisement

To presumable demonstrate that a "westerly" in January can deliver some snow to lower levels. Yes it will be gone tomorrow, but for those who have not seen snow in a good while they will probably just be glad to just have seen some snow.

I certainly am!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Anybody have any idea on what can we expect in the morning regarding lying snow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

snowing again in cork city, nothing sticking but im just happy to see any bit of snow really.

Gotta say netweather radar is bang on with their areas of precip

very strong wind gusts along with this weather too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

To presumable demonstrate that a "westerly" in January can deliver some snow to lower levels. Yes it will be gone tomorrow, but for those who have not seen snow in a good while they will probably just be glad to just have seen some snow.

It was more to keep on record the increasingly rarity of such a set up. Snow still lying here but I will admit that I have seen more snow from less strong westerlies in recent winters.

New Moon

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Nothing still in the heat island of metropolitan Cork soccerboy.

All I can say is you lucky, lucky bastards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Wondering if those more knowledgeable can tell me if there's a better chance of snow again tomorrow or on Thursday in the north west?

Presuming what we have now will vanish at some point in the morning and have to head further south one of the days so just wondering which day would be better for staying put and doing some more snow watch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

True, but objectively speaking, the GFS would seem to have performed better with regards the snowfall risk than the say the ECM and even Hirlam, which had nothing but rain down for me at least.

Well, you only have to look at yesterday's 12Z ECM and GFS for 6 pm today compared to actual observations to see which was more correct. The GFS is on cocaine with its blue blanket bomb over a wide area, whereas the ECM showed a more realistic setup, with some snow in the heavier showers, but accurately depicted 80% of the area. No contest imo.

Northwesterlies just don't bring dewpoints low enough for the type of wonderland the GFS depicted. Temperatures were as low as 1 degree throughout the day in a lot of places but it was still raining/sleeting because the dewpoints were around 0. What snow has fallen has, by and large, been very wet. Even at Glenanne (160 m), 18 cm of snow depth arose out of 2 mm of liquid, so a ratio of 9:1. Knock only got to max 3 cm depth.

6 pm observations

438883.PNG

ECM
    438879.png

GFS
    438880.png

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Nothing still in the heat island of metropolitan Cork soccerboy.

All I can say is you lucky, lucky bastards!

Haha, im in the bishopstown area! Surprised to be getting anything this low level of sea level really, only about 28/29m asl

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Fitzo123

Ferocious wind and snow in Sligo town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

20mm I assume ??

EC did a good job. Harmonie needs improvements. Would be good to see GFS wet bulb projections , but unfair to judge the dewpoint charts unless comparing to 2m temp at that exact time step.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Fitzo123 wrote: »
    Ferocious wind and snow in Sligo town.

Hey i was going to write that.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

Snowing again co Kilkenny. Been alternating sleet and snow all day. Nice snow shower now and finally lying. Nothing to get excited about tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

This is about the 2nd time in my life time that I've had settled snow from a westerly here near Arklow and as I can remember 405 line telly'S that's a long time :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

unfortunately, the showers are less of proper snow as the evening goes on for me, mainly just sleety ****e last hour here. Still about1-2 cms on the grass and roof of car, but all that came from a shower about 2 hours ago.

Snow in Dundalk.

438885.jpg
    438886.jpg
    438887.jpg

• Advertisement

Well, you only have to look at yesterday's 12Z ECM and GFS for 6 pm today compared to actual observations to see which was more correct. The GFS is on cocaine with its blue blanket bomb over a wide area, whereas the ECM showed a more realistic setup, with some snow in the heavier showers, but accurately depicted 80% of the area. No contest imo.

Northwesterlies just don't bring dewpoints low enough for the type of wonderland the GFS depicted. Temperatures were as low as 1 degree throughout the day in a lot of places but it was still raining/sleeting because the dewpoints were around 0. What snow has fallen has, by and large, been very wet. Even at Glenanne (160 m), 18 cm of snow depth arose out of 2 mm of liquid, so a ratio of 9:1. Knock only got to max 3 cm depth.

6 pm observations

438883.PNG

ECM
    438879.png

GFS
    438880.png

Not sure that the GFS suggested a 'snow bomb', but more the risk of snow. Since about 4 days ago, the GFS had snow showers for me today (as did the UK Met) albeit with scant accumulations. This is exactly what I, and many others, got. Neither the ECM or Hirlam, even up to this morning, suggested even the faintest hint of snow over the vast majority of the country.

I accept that the GFS is prone to overdoing dewpoint/upper temps,

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Mafra wrote: »
    Snowing again co Kilkenny. Been alternating sleet and snow all day. Nice snow shower now and finally lying. Nothing to get excited about tho.

Thats sacrilage

All snow is something to get excited about.

This Winter has been the best since 2010

Very exciting and im sure theres more bumps yet left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

A light dusting of snow in Maynooth, was working indoors all evening so pleasantly surprised to see the whole place white when I stepped outside. Fairly wet slushy stuff but sticking on most surfaces for now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

over an inch of snow here now, but it's starting to thaw slightly again. I reckon temps may rise slightly during the night with showers turning back to sleety rain away from the north. Rain for most of us tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 colmwexford

Snowing heavily in west Wexford now and finally sticking :)

It was more to keep on record the increasingly rarity of such a set up. Snow still lying here but I will admit that I have seen more snow from less strong westerlies in recent winters.

I see.
    Well either way it proves westerlies can deliver, and those who were downplaying the chances of snow at lower levels were wrong. Also while the GFS might embellish the snow potential in these scenarios, in this particular instance it was closer to the mark than other models which suggested mostly rain showers at lower levels . We have two inches of snow back home. I am told it was blizzard like conditions at times!

pauldry wrote: »

This Winter has been the best since 2010

Debatable.

New Moon

Debatable.

I mean, there really isn't much competition :pac:.

This is about the 2nd time in my life time that I've had settled snow from a westerly here near Arklow and as I can remember 405 line telly'S that's a long time :O

Yes. I don't doubt it's rare for you to see setlled snow from a westerly, i meant more so the fact the north west can do well from a westerly. I can only conclude the snow heard you bad mouthing it and this is why you've had settled snow- that and -40 500hpa temps in a very unstable flow:o

• Advertisement

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I mean, there really isn't much competition :pac:.

There is here. Almost winter, aside from that abomination last year, had more lying snow (when it did occur) than there has been today. Of course nothing compared to the real deal in 2010, but still.

New Moon

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement