Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenland Express: Snow showers possible from Monday night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Incoming for Dublin in the next half hour.

Possibly the "main event" for us.

Yes, we could be in for a right pasting if it keeps moving in a south east flow

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

sdanseo wrote: »
    Had to re-upload the pictures, but last time North Co. Dublin had comparable snow was March 2016:

:)
    sryanbruen wrote: »
    Before today, I hadn't had a flake of snow since 4th March 2016.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Dry in my area for the rest of the night pretty much I’d say going on the radar

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

All of what you say is correct but the gfs progged this event first and then progged the storm tomorrow first so on a macro level it did well. I think the value of the gfs precipitation charts for snow events is that it flags possible events. you then take that with a large pinch of salt until the high res models give it some support. Then ypu are sucking diesel. The gfs is a sort of early warning system in other words.

On a macro level, yes, but when it comes to snow, we're talking microlevel. Half a degree here, half a degree there. The GFS was suggesting a complete 2010 scenario in its snow charts, including only snow over the Atlantic and Irish Sea. The ECM did not, and was very consistent in showing a more realistic scenario, with some spots of snow embedded in the heaviest showers. I'd give it an 8/10, the GFS a 4/10.

Anyway, people are happy with what they got so that's the main thing. I'm not happy with this type of snow, but that's neither here nor there. I still hope for a northeasterly at some stage in February, which will being dewpoints and wbt several degrees lower. Thickness sub 516 dam, not the 519+ we have this evening. If that materialises then you'll see a thumbs-up from me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    :)

I actually missed that one, saw the post where you said you had no lying snow in 2016.

Mind you, snow falling is almost as good when we've been starved of it for a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

I beat you to it a few posts back :p:P:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

I'm not happy with this type of snow, but that's neither here nor there.

Oh, I see, it was the wrong kind of snow ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I actually missed that one, saw the post where you said you had no lying snow in 2016.

Mind you, snow falling is almost as good when we've been starved of it for a while!

Which is why I'm not complaining at all about today.

Yes, I had falling snow on 4th March 2016, with a severe frost to go along with it:

CFSR_1_2016030406_1.png

Seems to be a few bits lining up behind it. Wind direction will be critical.

2088050ddb7d466b97acc3f24eda8b6a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Snowing again in D15 so that radar is spot on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

That's a juicy looking radar for Dublin alright. Any reports from Meath as what to expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,677 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Belting down now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Blizzard like conditions !

Absolutely. An easterly with -5c maxima and half a foot of snow each day is much more preferable.

Unfortunately only happens every couple of decades :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Knock up to 2C on latest reports. Still hovering around zero further East. Has the shower hit Dublin yet?

patneve2 wrote: »
    Knock up to 2C on latest reports. Still hovering around zero further East. Has the shower hit Dublin yet?

Snowing sideways outside. Still light but intensify I'd say. We're 1-2km from Broadmeadow Estuary too so it's always that little bit warmer.

Annoyingly, the snow from 8pm on the car had thawed mostly, so temp must be about 1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

Not much out in D16

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Seems to be a few bits lining up behind it. Wind direction will be critical.

It's just passing through here in North Kildare at the minute and not amounting to much, just some flakes blowing about with a few heavier bursts

Northside of Dublin, pretty severe at the moment.

Full on almost blizzard like conditions, everything going white :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

We have done pretty well out of this is Waterford City with frequent heavy snow showers. Shame everything is so wet with nothing sticking but white gold is gold.
    Current temp is 1.2c with a DP of -0.4c Live stream from Waterford City Suburbs on my Youtube Channel

www.waterfordcityweather.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snowing here again, must be close to 2 inchs on the ground now.

temps seem to be rising across the west already.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Horizontal snow falling again! (D10)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow just arrived in Dublin 16.

Madness here. :D

It's so beautiful. *tear* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭lolie

There is about two inches of snow on the grass here from the showers this evening and about half that on the concrete.
    One thing i noticed was the smaller showers on the radar produced far more snow than the big ones which were a lot lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭esposito

Blizzard like conditions in D9!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭gabeeg

antodeco wrote: »
    Horizontal snow falling again! (D10)

Half an inch on the ground up here, and about two inches on the lamposts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Marginally better than nothing for the 10 minutes it lasts, but give me continental snow any day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement