Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenland Express: Snow showers possible from Monday night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Ok cant figure how to post my photos as pics so ill just attach

Seems the best is over in Sligo

Went from 0.6c to 3.6c in past 2 hrs

Heres the quiet pearse road as ferociuosly windy n icy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The temperature has just gone below freezing -0.1c, as the snow has stopped but I'm getting anxious now as temperatures have risen a bit west of the Shannon where the precipitation is now sleet according to the netweather radar.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

snow stopped here now. Outside everything is orange, both sky and snow.

unfortunately starting to hear slight dripping sounds. I reckon the temps are going to start rising now and it won't take much of a rise for a rapid thaw to set in. Time to make the most of it now and enjoy what is outside for now!.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Mod Note: Posters are reminded to stay on topic and adhere to forum charter .

Posts were deleted that were goading another poster. Do not do this again or you will be dealt with accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    After today, you have gained a whole new respect from me man, you are a legend! I swear.

As others have said, there is a lot of respect to be had for a lot of posters on here. GL, for example, may have a more sceptical approach (which is well founded in raw experience) but when he speaks, I listen.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Temperatures really going up now. Wind has really strengthened too. The demise is near :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Potentially last snow shower for Dublin in the next half hour. Not much ppn after that and whatever does fall will probably fall as sleet. Have to make the most of the next shower, looks quite beefy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Was really rather impressive round by Dublin 9. Was chucking it down and the speed at which pavements were recovered after I cleared sections was impressive - rates I've only seen once or twice since 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Canterelle

All I can say is that, when there’s weather about, this is my first port of call. Well done guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭weatherfiend

It’s been on-again/off-again blizzards here all day just at the bottom of 3 Rock. Started in earnest when I was out walking at 1pm. Been great to watch. Temp still 0.6 and my son said when he was coming in about an hour ago he was slipping on the path. However it does seem to be melting, albeit slowly. Ah well at least we had some fun. Sorry not great photos but too bloody cold to go out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

A potent snowy evening came from this westerly 25 years ago, 11th January 1993.

NOAA_1_1993011112_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Stopped for a bit in Dublin 15, back again now

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Snowbiee21

Thundersneachta now . Kermit = boss

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    As others have said, there is a lot of respect to be had for a lot of posters on here. GL, for example, may have a more sceptical approach (which is well founded in raw experience) but when he speaks, I listen.

Think you misunderstood my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,676 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Belting down again near Santry topping up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

patneve2 wrote: »
    Potentially last snow shower for Dublin in the next half hour. Not much ppn after that and whatever does fall will probably fall as sleet. Have to make the most of the next shower, looks quite beefy
    Any chance of clear spells developing later on tonight that will prevent a thaw?
    Snowing again and the temperature a steady -0.1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Belting down again near Santry topping up.

Higher temperatures following behind. Get out now and bring it all into your kitchen freezer!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the last snow shower just passed here now and dripping sounds becoming more obvious. The next band over Cavan and Fermanagh is mainly sleet, however the band behind that over Donegal and Derry appears to be mainly snow, but will probably turn to sleet as it moves south.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Dublin Airport closed due to snow, for min next half an hour.

Meanwhile temperature around 4-5c here in West Clare :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Decent flakes again here now. The trees dripping all the while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

23Z snow depths in the North

Glennane (160 m) 22 cm
    Lough Fea (225 m) 15 cm
    Belfast Aldergrove (81 m) 2 cm

No lying snow at the other stations. It's a pity the Irish stations don't report automated snow depths too. The four airports report manual measurements, but with Knock unmanned overnight we get no figures. Ballyhaise would have been nice to monitor earlier, though it's raining there in the latest report.

EDIT: I see Dublin Airport reported 1 cm of lying wet snow at 2300 and Cork Airport <1 mm.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Gonzo wrote: »
    the last snow shower just passed here now and dripping sounds becoming more obvious. The next band over Cavan and Fermanagh is mainly sleet, however the band behind that over Donegal and Derry appears to be mainly snow, but will probably turn to sleet as it moves south.

Started to lash again here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭piplip87

Looking like sleet/rain for me after the next shower. Hopefully more snow to fall later on in the week

• Registered Users Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Pic from about 21.45 tonight
    DSC_0972a.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Any chance of clear spells developing later on tonight that will prevent a thaw?
    Snowing again and the temperature a steady -0.1c.

Reckon temps will be around 1-2 C in the eastern part of the country during the latter part of the night. Thaw likely, even though people may be able to retain some covering in the more sheltered spots

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

it snowed in cork city. i honestly feel like crying.

patneve2 wrote: »
    Reckon temps will be around 1-2 C in the eastern part of the country during the latter part of the night. Thaw likely, even though people may be able to retain some covering in the more sheltered spots

If we manage to hold onto some snow tomorrow then there's a good chance some snow may stay in spots till Friday night because it becomes much colder again later tomorrow night, all Thursday and most of Friday. Much milder then into the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Dublin Airport closed due to snow, for min next half an hour.

Meanwhile temperature around 4-5c here in West Clare :)

Snowtam gives 2 mm wet snow on the runway.

SNOWTAM
    16 JAN 2018 22:10
    T) RUNWAY 10/28 AND 100 PERCENT CONTAMINATED WITH SNOW. BREAKING ACTIONS NO LONGER AVAILABLE. RUNWAY SURFACE CONDITIONS ASSESSED BY DEPTH READINGS AND PILOT REPORTS. ALL AREAS CONTAMINATED WITH SNOW

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Snow's back in Dublin 16.

• Advertisement

few flakes here again but I reckon this is definitely the last of it for now.

There is even a slight hint of drifting. The edges of west facing walls of the house have about 5 inches of snow

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement