Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greenland Express: Snow showers possible from Monday night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Airport still closed, almost an hour later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

JCX BXC wrote: »

Still 7 mm on both runways at 00.30.

Still 7 cm on both runways at 00.30.

I'd doubt the accuracy of that as they had already sweeped the runway once at that stage and were in the middle of a second sweep. I'd say the info wasn't changed.

Closed until 1:15 now!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That's really poor form. Their own TAFs should've dictated the amount of plant and personnel on standby.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    That's really poor form. Their own TAFs should've dictated the amount of plant and personnel on standby.

What I think is bizzare is that there's been no snow in nearly an hour (00:00 METAR gives snow, however it had stopped at that stage), and the time has continually been pushed back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

AccuWeather minute cast pushing rain back. here again... Still fairly belting down with snow. Still bitterly cold outside here's hoping for a miraculous white morning

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Mafra

pauldry wrote: »
    Thats sacrilage

All snow is something to get excited about.

This Winter has been the best since 2010

Very exciting and im sure theres more bumps yet left

You’re correct and it’s pathetic isn’t it lol!?!
    It would be fantastic to get a couple of days of lying snow then I wouldn’t have to go my fix elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

What I think is bizzare is that there's been no snow in nearly an hour (00:00 METAR gives snow, however it had stopped at that stage), and the time has continually been pushed back.

Maybe they are expecting a rapid thaw and rain before the morning flights start?

Maybe they are expecting a rapid thaw and rain before the morning flights start?

No, they're clearing the runway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Larbre34 wrote: »

The Dublin Airport Spotters group on FB has someone saying staff were in from 1800Z.

True we don't get it often but there are complex plans in place to deal with it yet every single time, the process takes hours and always longer than expected. It's odd especially since nothing new is falling.

Mind you, looking at radar we may get a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

No thaw here (yet) which means no thaw at the airport which is only a few kms away. Temp just dropped from 0.1c down to 0.0c now as the sky has cleared.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

They used John Deere tractors with wide plastic scraping buckets in 2010,is that what they have tonight?
    Those would have to run in threes or fours side by side or more for to cover the width of the runway’s?
    That would take time alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭jds0ur

They used John Deere tractors with wide plastic scraping buckets in 2010,is that what they have tonight?
    Those would have to run in threes or fours side by side or more for to cover the width of the runway’s?
    That would take time alright!

More advanced now this these ;)https://www.multihog.com/testimonials/dublin-airport

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

jds0ur wrote: »

That's for the ramp. They have a fleet of snow clearance vehicles.
    It's more a communication issue than a logistical one, I'm sure the teams work very hard and I know from personal experience that the plans are there.

Edited a few bits out as I don't want to digress. This is the weather forum after all, not A&A :)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭Monkeynut

If it's gone by the morning, hopefully this is still standing for the kids. It's hideously filthy. But they,ll love him.

snowman.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/tG0C9

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭lolie

No, they're clearing the runway.

Must have it cleared now. Looks like the Rome flight is doing a u turn and going back to Dublin.
    438921.png

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Back in business by the looks of it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a very light thaw going on here, only noticeable on tree's and can hear a slight dripping sound. A few flakes falling again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Surprised to see still some snow on the ground here in dublin 5. Was not expecting that much snow last night. Impressive!

This snowtam for Dublin Airport was issued at 05.15. Runway 10/28 is clear, still 7 mm of wet snow on Runway 16/34.

SWEI0007 EIDW 01170515
    (SNOWTAM 0007
    A) EIDW
    B) 01170515 C) 10 F) 2/2/2 G) 00/00/00 H) 5/5/5
    B) 01170515 C) 16 F) 5/5/5 G) 07/07/06 H) 1/1/1
    T) RUNWAY 10/28 SWEPT AND DE ICED WITH KAC,RUNWAY 16/34 100 PERCENT CONTAMINATED WITH SNOW. BRAVO TAXIWAYS SWEPT AND DE ICED WITH KAC, E2,E3,E4,E5,E6 TAXIWAYS SNOW OR SLUSH COVERED. ALL OTHER TAXIWAYS AND APRONS CONTAMINATED WITH SNOW AND SLUSH EXERCISE EXTREME CAUTION. SNOW CLERANCE OPERTIONS ONGOING.
    )

EDIT: The depth 07 is MILLIMETRES, not centimetres!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭piplip87

Snow falling here this morning. A small thaw from last nights but its fairly coming down at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Lucreto

An ice rink in my driveway and the train station car park.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭gerrybhoy

Anymore snow for Dublin atall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

East Meath & Drogheda didn't see much melt. Black ice everywhere too, was an interesting commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Up to 3 degrees now in Laois and the snow is starting to disappear, the roads are brutal especially on less used ones.
    Compacted and frozen snow makes for fun driving.
    Yet still muppets bombing along, seen one young chap take a corner a bit two quick and he panicked full on the brakes and full lock on the steering , so no surprise he spun and went sideways into a hedge..
    He was fine but the car took a nice bit of damage along one side..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

well no lying snow to report in Kilkenny city :(

I made a mistake with the runway contamination figures lastnight and this morning, they are in MILLIMETRES, not centimetres! So 7 mm wet snow was on the runways at Dublin, 5 mm at Belfast Aldergrove.

In the synops, Dublin Airport reported max 1 cm of lying snow, which tallies with the runway figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Mobhi1

Still lying snow here but it's very patchy, not that it was a whole lot better at any stage. It's 1.6C with a DP of -0.5C. The sky's mostly clear now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Roads are lethal here, somebody took the bend down the road to fast and went through the neighbours fence, nobody stuck around to claim responsibility so they got out of there as quick as they went through it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,726 ✭✭✭sudzs

Snow shower in Rostrevor now, big fat flakes. The Mournes are still white!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement